• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Booker T. & Priscilla Jones- CHRONICLES (SP-4413)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Booker T. & Priscilla Jones
CHRONICLES

A&M SP-4413

sp4413.jpg

Among the noteworthy sessions credits on CHRONICLES are "Bobby Dylan" on harmonica, Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers (bass) and Johnny Barbata of the Turtles/Jefferson Starship (drums).

SIDE ONE
Fly 4:22/ When Two People are in Love 3:58/ Rings Around the World 5:54/ Wild Fox 5:25.

SIDE TWO
Mendocino 3:38/ The Crippled Crow 4:02/ Cherokee River 4:04/ Time 4:08/ Wounded Knee 5:37.

Produced by Booker T. and Priscilla Jones
Engineers/Mixing Engineers; Wayne Dailey with Booker T. and Priscilla
Mastering: Bob Margouless, Malcolm Cecil
All string arrangements by Booker T. Jones
Background vocals: Booker T. and Priscilla

Recorded at Jones Ranch (Malibu); Sunset Sound Recorders (Hollywood) and Wally Heider Studio IV (Hollywood)

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Photography: Bob Jenkins
Special Thanks to: Donna Weiss, Brenda Patterson, Wayne Dailey.

JB

:idea: -->AOTW: Booker T. & Priscilla ^ CHRONICLES (A&M SP-4413)<-- :wink:

The "Wild Southern California Trappings" make this album a Trip:...!! :freak: Especially on "Fly", which leads almost right to "When Two People Are In Love" and the almost Country-Cosmic "Rings Around The World"... I remember hearing "Wild Fox" when it came out as a single; Fun to have my record player in the "Repeat-Mode", and set on '7-Inch' while I sleep during it...! :twisted: Booker T. really lets loose with the Orchestra on this one... :badteeth:

...And also Very Uneven:...!! :yawn:

The "awakening on the morning-after" of "Mono-Doze-Eeee!-No!" is OK--the organ and strings opening it are the "clincher"; "The Crippled Crow" features "Bobby" Dylan on Harmonica and its "Bop-Along Beat" makes it marginally interesting; "Cherokee River" is a "Fly" rewrite, and much slooowwwerrrrr...; The Lazy and Meandering "Time" is a boring ballad; and the dull, throwaway, Native American lament, "Wounded Knee" is why my copy of this became a "One-Sided Franken-Record"! :goofygrin:

P.S.
Special Thanks to: ...Wayne Dailey, for picking up at Sunset, where we left off at The Ranch...

...And I thought Wally Heider's Engineer, Pete Granet also worked on this; really wish I kept my "Mega-Collection"!

Dave

After 4413 we've got LUMUMBA (SP 4414), but this one was only released as SP 3610.

4415 GONE CRAZY by Grin actually was released with this number and doesn't have a 3600 counterpart, so I'd inclined to think it should be next week's AOTW.

JB

I recall owning a different vinyl release with Priscilla and Booker T. If memory does'nt fail me, it was a gatefold cover and it showed them walking down a country path, in front of a "ranch type" house. I can't remember the title of it, or it was released after, or before this one, but the music was pretty good. I'm sure some other A&Mer round these parts will remember it's title.

LPJim said:
4415 GONE CRAZY by Grin actually was released with this number and doesn't have a 3600 counterpart, so I'd inclined to think it should be next week's AOTW.

Jim,

Do you have access to the Moderator's Froum here? I've posted the entire AOTW schedule through the end of the year there. Yes, Grin is next. Check it out. I believe Neil gave you access as a moderator. If not let me know and I'll e-ya the schedule

--Mr Bill

Yes, thanks.
Sometimes it's good to let the gen. public in on the schedule since some may not be familiar with the numbering system.
JB

Interesting to note, however, that Time is the piano coda to Layla.
It supposedly made Bobby Whitlock angry when he learned that Jim Gordon wanted to use it at the end of that song written by Eric Clapton. Whitlock said years later that Jim took this piano part from his girlfriend Rita Coolidge, and he knows because back when he was a member of Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, he lived in John Garfield's old house in the Hollywood Hills and there was a guest house with a piano in it. Jim and Rita were up there in that guest house and invited him to join in on writing this song they had called "Time," which Whitlock claims does not sound like a rock 'n roll song. Rita's sister, Priscilla Coolidge (and her husband, Booker T. Jones), later released it in 1973.

He said: "Jim took the melody from Rita's song and didn't give her credit for writing it. Her boyfriend ripped her off. I knew it, but nobody would listen to or believe me. I have told this story for years. That piano coda taints the integrity of this incredibly beautiful song. It has no place on it."

~Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom