• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Chet Baker - The Best Thing For You (CD 832)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Chet Baker
THE BEST THING FOR YOU

A&M CD-832

sp832.jpg

Released 1989

Format: CD/Cassette

Songs:
  • 1. The Best Thing For You (Irving Berlin) 4:14
    2. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You/You've Changed (George Bassman/Bill Cary, Carl Fischer) 6:01
    3. Oh, You Crazy Moon (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) 3:33
    4. How Deep Is The Ocean (Irving Berlin) 5:41
    5. If You Could See Me Now (Tadd Dameron) 4:38
    6. El Morro (Don Sebesky) 17:03

Musicians:
Chet Baker - Trumpet
Paul Desmond - Alto Saxophone
Tony Williams - Drums
Ron Carter - Bass
Kenny Barron - Piano
John Scofield - Electric and Acoustic Guitar (6)
Richie Beirach - Electric Piano (6)
Hubert Laws - Flute (6)
Michael Brecker - Tenor Saxophone (6)
Arto Tuncboyachi - Percussion, Voice (6)
Gene Bertoncini - Acoustic Guitar (5)

Produced and Arranged by Don Sebesky for Pinder Lane Productions, Ltd.
Creative Director: John Snyder

Recorded February and May, 1977 at Sound Ideas Studios, New York City, by Neal Ceppos, assisted by Kathy Dennis.
Mixed October, 1988 at Giant Sound Studios, New York City by John Snyder and Brad Leigh, assisted by Mark Miller.
Tape Restoration by Joe Salvatto
Digitally mastered January, 1989 at Van Gelder Recording Studio by John Snyder and Rudy Van Gelder
Special Thanks to Doug Pell, Sherman Darby and Arto Tuncboyachi

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson
Design: Philip Shima
Photography: Carol Friedman
Liner notes: Doug Ramsey

Capt. Bacardi

This is really a nice album. Pretty much straight-ahead, with the exception of a different take of "El Morro" (the first was on his You Can't Go Home Again LP). Chet's trumpet playing can be breath taking at times, and light and airy at other times. The title track is my favorite song, with the medley of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You/You've Changed" a close second. I've never been a real fan of Chet Baker's singing, so his vocals on a couple of tracks didn't do much for me. Paul Desmond plays one of his last sessions on this album, and is a perfect match for Baker.

I never knew this CD existed until I found it at a record show a couple of years ago. But if you happen to find a copy, pick it up. You'll be glad you did! :D

Capt. Bacardi

If I have this correct,the double CD reissue of YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN on Verve contains both the original Verve album and the A&M album. A fan review on Amazon gives the edge to the A&M sides,though the selections are not in the original order of the LPs.Mac

The A&M/Verve double-disc reissue contains THE BEST THING FOR YOU and YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN (both A&M albums) complete, plus alternate takes and several bonus tracks.
JB

This is one of Chet's better recordings. My fav track on this "If You Could See Me Now"...Chet sings and Plays trumpet... Chet is a fabulous trumpeter, and singer. I bet this has been said here before, but I'm sure Herb Alpert was inspired to sing via Chet's example. If I were to pick Chet's best recording however, I'd pick "The Last Great Concert Vols. 1 and 2 recorded live in Germany. This was Chet's "swan song". It was also posthumously released. Chet never sounded better than is this release, and with an exquisite production, backed by big band and small combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom