🎵 AotW AOTW: Chuck Mangione - Main Squeeze (SP-4612)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 100.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Chuck Mangione
MAIN SQUEEZE

A&M SP-4612

sp4612.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track/CD

Produced by Chuck Mangione
Musical Coordinator/Production Assistant: Steve Gadd

Songs:
  • 1. (The Day After) Our First Night Together - 8:01
    2. If You Know Me Any Longer Than Tomorrow - 7:55
    3. Love The Feelin' - 4:44
    4. I Get Crazy (When Your Eyes Touch Mine) - 4:24
    5. Doin' Everything With You - 7:05
    6. Main Squeeze - 5:25

All selections written by Chuck Mangione except "Main Squeeze", created by Chuck, Don, Tony, Bob, Ruebens, Ralph, Richard, Steve & John and published by Gates Music, Inc. (BMI)

Orchestrations: Chuck Mangione

Musicians:
Chuck Mangione - Yamaha Flugelhorn (with wa-wa pedal on several selections), Rhodes Electric Piano
Bob Mann - Acoustic and Electric Guitar
John Tropea - Acoustic and Electric Guitar
Don Grolnick - Rhodes Electric and Acoustic Piano
Tony Levin - Electric Bass
Ruebens Bassini - Percussion
Ralph MacDonald - Percussion
Richard Tee - Organ
Steve Gadd - Drums and Percussion
Trumpets: Jon Faddis, Jeff Tkazyik, Lew Soloff, Alan Rubin
Trombones: Bill Watrous, Wayne Andre, Tom Malone, Dave Taylor
French Horns: Jimmy Buffington, Fred Griffin, Bob Carlisle, John Clark
Gene Orloff - Concert Master

Recorded and Mixed at Electric Lady, Media Sound, P.C.I. Rose Bud
Engineer: Mick Guzauski
Assistant Engineer: Michael Frondelli
Mastering Engineer: Frank DeLuna at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, Calif.

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Junie Osaki
Photography: Ian Patrick
Personal Management: Tom Iannaccone

This album is dedicated to Chappelle, "The Healer".

Capt. Bacardi

I'm sure that you eagle-eyed people noticed that Junie Osaki, the art director, started being listed on A&M albums as 'Junie Osaki Mangione' at a certain point....are she and Chuck still married?

JTCW

Good album to wind down after a rough day to--and to share a moment with someone else who might have also had a rough day, as well...! :D

But, overly long compositions, whose "themes" that tend to repeat themselves over and over and otherwise, meander; especially "If You Know Me Any Longer Than Tomorrow"... However, at least the best (and fairly fast) cuts, "Love The Feelin'" and (especially segue'd by "Doin' Everything With You" on the album) "Main Squeeze" made it onto Chuck's Live Set, when I saw him in concert last year... (And the title-track, written by the backing musicians, was also featured on his Double-Live album, too! I also kind'a remember the refreshing, mid-tempo "(The Day After) Our First Night Together" and "I Get Crazy (When Your Eyes Touch Mine)", both played on Jazz/EZ Listening Radio 'Way Back Then', as well!:cool:

Four, ALMOST Four-And A 1/2-Stars, from Me! :agree:

Dave

I consider this to be Mangione's best A&M album, and some of his best flugelhorn playing. "If You Know Me Any Longer Than Tomorrow" is a lovely ballad, and a great composition that sounds like something played in a smokey jazz club. "I Get Crazy" is a hot, Latin-tinged romp with a bit of bravura from the horn section. "Doin' Everything With You" is another dreamy romantic ballad with some nice horn lines from Chuck and this segues perfectly into "Main Squeeze", which is an impromptu jam by the entire band. What makes this album flow so smoothly is the drumwork of Steve Gadd. He creates a lot of excitement throughout the entire proceedings. The only song that I didn't care much for is "Love The Feelin'", which seemed just a bit over the top. But that aside, this is about as good an album as you can get. 4 very strong stars from me!

Capt. Bacardi

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
I'm sure that you eagle-eyed people noticed that Junie Osaki, the art director, started being listed on A&M albums as 'Junie Osaki Mangione' at a certain point....are she and Chuck still married?

I don't think they are. When Mangione started doing some new albums for the Chesky label a couple of years ago I read an interview by him and he refers to Junie as his ex-wife, although she still did the artwork for the album that he had just released.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom