• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Gerry Mulligan - Lonesome Boulevard (CD-5326)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gerry Mulligan
LONESOME BOULEVARD

A&M CD-5326

sp5326.jpg

Released 1990

Format: CD/Cassette

Produced by Gerry Mulligan and John Snyder
Executive Producer: Steve Ralbovsky

Songs:
  • 1. Rico Apollo - 3:33
    2. I Heard The Shadows Dancing - 5:17
    3. Lonesome Boulevard - 4:17
    4. Curtains - 8:03
    5. Ring Around A Bright Star - 4:27
    6. Splendor In The Grass (David Amram) - 4:46
    7. Good Neighbor Thelonious - 4:55
    8. Wallflower - 5:32
    9. The Flying Scotsman - 5:26
    10. Etude For Franca - 2:31

All compositions by Gerry Mulligan except where indicated.

Musicians:
Gerry Mulligan - Baritone Saxophone
Bill Charlap - Piano
Dean Johnson - Bass
Richie De Rosa - Drums

Recorded and mixed at Carriage House Studios, Stamford, Connecticut, March and September, 1989.
Engineered by Phil Magnotti, assisted by Matt Lane. Special thanks to Johnny Montagnese.
Mastered at BMG Studios, New York City, Joe Lopes, Engineer.

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson with Ph.D
Design:tongue:h.D
Photography: Carol Friedman

Liner notes by Gerry Mulligan

Capt. Bacardi

This is a very fine album by Mulligan. Great songs, great performance. I didn't really liked the way Mulligan's bari sax sounded, though. Still, there's a lot to like on this album, starting with the bright samba "Rico Apollo". "Lonesome Boulevard" has a very sly feel to it, and you can feel the humor in "Good Neighbor Thelonious". "The Flying Scotsman" is a favorite song of mine, and again is another bright samba. I just love some of the writing on this album, especially "I Heard The Shadows Dancing" and "Curtains". I don't know if I'd put this album as one of Gerry Mulligan's best, but it's a very solid effort. 4 stars!

Capt. Bacardi
...finding it hard to believe that more poeple haven't heard this album...

Those who haven't heard this album have really missed a treat. Most of these "Modern Masters Jazz Series" items were only available a short time and by the mid-90s were consigned to the cut-out racks and out of print since.

"Curtains" is probably my favorite Mulligan track, another 8-plus-minute masterpiece as "Over the Hills" was on AGE OF STEAM. What's really nice about LONESOME BLVD. is that every song has a distinct and memorable melody, proving it's possible to play great jazz and still keep it accessible.

JB

I haven't heard this one,due in part of its short shelf life,but there may be reason why Verve might give this album a second look- pianist Bill Charlap. Bill is currently the darling at BlueNote Records,bringing out songbook albums that reach into rarefied air:a legitimate jazz album that crosses over. Hoagy Carmichael,Leonard Bernstein and now George Gershwin have all been treated to keyboard musings by Charlap. His parents has pedigrees in popular music of just a generation or so ago(his father wrote the musical "Peter Pan" which starred Mary Martin,his mother is Sandy Stewart). Outside of some distributed items on Concord where Bill shows up,I don't think Verve has too much Charlap in the vault and this was a fairly early recording,too-Bill wasn't yet 30 when this was recorded. Bill also shows up with Mulligan on a track to the Dave Grusin produced,HAPPY BIRTHDAY,CHARLIE BROWN,one of the best selling GRP albums from the original days-still in print for over 15 years.Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom