sp3036.jpg

Released 1972
Reissued on CD as CD 0804 in 1988

Produced by Stephan Goldman

Tracks:

• 1. One To Ten In Ohio (4:12)
    2. K-4 Pacific (5:05)
    3. Grand Tour (4:19)
    4. Over The Hill And Out Of The Woods (8:35)
    5. Country Beaver (3:08 )
    6. A Weed In Disneyland (4:12)
    7. Golden Notebooks (4:11)
    8. Maytag (4:17)

All songs written by Gerry Mulligan

Musicians:

Gerry Mulligan - Baritone and Soprano Sax, Piano on tracks 4, 5, & 7
Tom Scott - Tenor and Soprano Sax
Bud Shank - Alto Sax and Flute
Bob Brookmeyer - Valve Trombone
Harry "Sweets" Edison - Trumpet
Roger Kellaway - Piano
Chuck Domanico - Bass
John Guerin - Drums on tracks 4, 5, 7
Joe Porcaro - Drums on tracks 2, 6, 8 and Percussion
Howard Roberts - Guitar
Emil Richards - Percussion

Additional Horns: Ernie Watts, Kenny Schroyer, Jimmy Cleveland, Roger Bobo

Liner notes by Michael Cuscuna

Recorded at A&M Studios and Poppi Studios between February and July 1971

Capt. Bacardi

A one-shot wonder -- a completely well-conceived LP to herald the return of Mulligan's Ten-tette 20 years later, so to speak. And the compositions themselves are so memorable, it was worth the wait. Probably the best album of West Coast jazz from the 1970's.

I'm glad (and relieved) a couple other Corner-ites agreed with me that this was indeed Gerry's 'best' -- a modern come-back of his Ten-tette. Before this album vanishes from AOTW status, I'd love it if other A&M jazz-lovers could add their thoughts while this beauty is on display. It really deserves it!

I keep meaning to post on this, but keep forgeting. Guess the Alzheimer's kickin' in! :D

I absolutely love this album. I think it's a perfect example of what "contemporary jazz" is about. It's jazzy, funky, soulful and has a great groove throughout the whole album. Love the horn section in this. I remember finding this album when I was in the Air Force, and I played this LP to death. Loved Brookmeyer's trombone on "Grand Tour".

I remember reading an interview by Mulligan in the late 70's, and he said this album was one of his favorite's. He had a great time doing it.

If you have the LP version of this album, you'll see another song mentioned in the liner notes. "Dancing All Day Sunday" is mentioned, but it's not on the LP. The CD liner notes omit the paragraph about "Dancing...". I wonder if there's an extra track sitting in a vault somewhere? This should be reissued. I considered it a classic!

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Gerry Mulligan - The Age Of Steam

I gave this one a "best" rating for all the reasons listed. There's lots of challenging material here.

Mulligan returned to A&M for LONESOME BLVD. (CD 5326), which is also well worth seeking out if you can find it. This album's a bit more mellow but is great nonetheless. It was part of the "Modern Masters Jazz Series" of 1989-90, along with titles by Don Cherry, Sun Ra, Dizzy Gillespie & Max Roach, Art Blakey and Cecil Taylor.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom