• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Gordon Michaels - Stargazer (SP-737)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gordon Michaels
STARGAZER

A&M/Horizon SP-737

sp737.jpg

Released 1979

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track

Produced by Hugh McCracken

Songs:
  • 1. Stargazer 4:07
    2. Monkey Mother 3:15
    3. Indoor Lovers 3:36
    4. This Is Love 4:32
    5. Turnin' Brown 3:13
    6. Find The Angle 3:17
    7. Bermuda 3:02
    8. Ugly Ramona 3:40
    9. Danny Dies In Dublin 3:48
    10. Favorite Songs 3:21

All music and lyrics composed by Gordon Michaels. All selections published by Koosah Music, Inc. (BMI) except "Favorite Songs", published by Clancy Music (BMI).

Musicians:
Gordon Michaels - Guitar, Piano, Arranger, Harmonium, Keyboards, Vocals, Oberheim
Richard Tee - Piano, Keyboards
Tony Levin - Bass, Chapman Stick
Rick Marotta - Drums
Hugh McCracken - Bass, Guitar, Harmonica, Arranger
Ed Walsh - Synthesizer, Programming, Oberheim
Mike Mainieri - Percussion, Marimba, String Arrangements
Arthur Jenkins - Percussion
Linda Reddwolf - Vocals, Harmony
Lisa Gilkyson - Vocals, Harmony
David Sanborn - Alto Sax
George Marge - Flute, English Horn
George Young - Flute
Bill Brown - French Horn
Guillermo Figueroa - Violin
Richard Hendrickson - Violin
Lucy Stoltzman - Violin
Judy Geist - Viola
Richard Sher - Cello
Fred Sherry - Cello
Ida Kavafian - Concertmaster

Engineer: Kevin Herron
Assistant Engineer: Scott MacPherson
Associate Engineer: Michael Getlin
Production Coordination: Christine Martin

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Mark Hanauer

Capt. Bacardi

I actually like this album. Like much of the rest of the Horizon releases around this time (less jazz, more unclassifiable), this is highly listenable. Realize this was a time when Disco was dying, Punk and new wave were up & coming and pop music was largely that dreadful 70s crap like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc (sorry to express such a strong opinion, but :wink: ) The artists and styles Horizon took during this period reflects the loss of artistic direction the music industry in particular was experiencing. Music like this would later survive on eccentric labels like Windham Hill spinoff Dancing Cat, etc.

--Mr Bill

:yawn: ...Yeah, I wuz wonderin' who gave this album FOUR-Stars...!! :rolleyes: :badteeth:

BIG disappointment for me...! Didn't buy it when it was at a store near me, so I ordered it from a place in Narbreth, PA... Was hunting down records Tony played on; bass and STICK, even...! :shock:

But "some" of some of the compositions ARE memorable: The Jungle-Funk of "Monkey Mother", The "...Oh, Emily...", kept-inside, shut-in romance of "Indoor Lovers", the "...I think you're LOVELY, Ramona..." of "Ugly Ramona" "...sits all alone'a, waits by the phone'a, reaching in the box for another piece o' chocolate...", The Rebel Irish-Folk Hymn, "Danny Dies In Dublin", The "workin' on my tan" of "Turnin' Brown", the "find a solution to the problem" of "Find The Angle" and the Breezy-Carribean-style, "Bermuda"...and MOSTLY the 'astronomy-donomy, stratospheric-buff' of "...He is a Starrrgaaazer..." of "Stargazer"...

Hey, this ain't half-bad!! :D :o

Dave

This is an okay album. I really like some of the songwriting, but Michaels is not a good singer if this is any indication. He seems to be trying different styles, even emulating Paul McCartney on songs like "Indoor Lovers". The title track sounds like a cross between Stuff and the Saturday Night Live Band, with some wimpy vocals on top (as well as the obligatory David Sanborn sax wail). But I really dug the tropical sounds he did, especially "Bermuda" and "Turnin' Brown". Nice grooves on those tunes. "Ugly Ramona" has its moments as well. Other than that this album didn't do much for me. 2 and 1/2 stars from me.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom