• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela (SP-728)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 7 58.3%

Votes: 4 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana Mike said:
Masekela mentioned that MAIN EVENT was a "simulated" live recording. Pretty amazing...I always thought it WAS a live recording. It sure is a great simulation.

They DID record all 4 Roxy shows in LA. However in those concerts they did not perform "I'm Comin' Home", "Mama Way" or "Besame Mucho." The liner notes say "Recorded at The Roxy & A&M Studios" which I take to mean those three tracks (and "enhancements" to the others) were done at A&M. At the Roxy they played ALL the other songs on the LP plus covered all of the first LP (minus "African Summer" which was, after all, an Alpert solo single several months before they collaborated). I was there, seated right in front of Mosa Jonas Gwangwa. 17 at the time and it was my first concert...

--Mr Bill

Here's a shot of Herb & Hugh playing at the Park West in Chicago. This is taken from Masekela's book.

alpertmasekelabook_001_edited.sized.jpg

Capt. Bacardi

Any mention in the book of the rumored third HA/HM album that was supposedly in the works???

--Mr Bill

Looking at the fashions they're wearing (same as the LA Roxy show), a pith helmet on either or both would've roounded out the "Disco Era African Safari" look, doncha think? :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Any mention in the book of the rumored third HA/HM album that was supposedly in the works???

I finally finished the book, but there is no mention of a third album. They did go into the studio after the tour and tried studio versions of the songs from Main Event - Live!, but nothing after that. They thought the live versions were better, which is why it was released.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom