• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Hudson-Ford FREE SPIRIT (A&M SP 3652)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Hudson-Ford
FREE SPIRIT

A&M SP3652

sp3652.jpg

This is the second release by the duo which spun off from the Strawbs in 1973.

Tracks:

Take a Little Word/ Free Spirit/ Mother Mild/ I Don't Want to Be a Star/ Silent Star/ Such a Day/ How Many Times/ Floating on the Wind.

All songs written by Hudson and Ford
Produced by Tom Allom
Released in the U.K. as AMLS 68274

JB

www.strawbsweb.co.uk/related/hford/hford2.asp

This is a great record by very talented musicians...I have all of Hudson/Ford's records and Free Spirit is one of their best....Daylight (their last record) is another one of my favorites. None of their records were ever released onto cd (?)....I thought that was a shame because they were a phenomenal group. Later at the end of the 70's Hudson/Ford became "The Monks" and released two semi-punk (sort of a spoof on punk) records...I have both of these and they are also incredible. The song "Nice Legs, Shame About the Face" (while lyrically not being particularly p.c. now) is still one of their best tunes in my opinion..They disbanded as the "Monks" and then became "High Society." Inspired by music of the 1930's High Society were a refreshing change from the pop/rock idiom. I own all of their work and it always brings a smile to my face.

Jim Finn

Before being in "Strawbs," Hudson/Ford were part of Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera...I have two records by the Velvet Opera....Incredible albums that I cherish....I own almost all of Strawbs releases and have seen the Acoustic Strawbs perform live in Eugene, Oregon about a year or more ago. The Strawbs were very good live and it was a great show. I spoke with Strawbs guitarist Dave Lambert before the show and he was really cool---Old legends never die.

Jim Finn

Like you I've been fortunate to see the acoustic Strawbs myself. They taped a radio show at the Kentucky Theater in Lexington in May 2003, and I drove 3 hours each way to see them and meet them as well. The college kids who organized the show spotted my LP collection and invited me to have late dinner and drinks with Cousins, Lambert and Willoughby on the outdoor terrace of a nearby bar.
This was a memorable evening for sure.
JB

I've heard that Dave Cousins is very nice. I didn't get the chance to meet him. What was your opinion of Dave Cousins?

Jim Finn

Very nice and patient as well. I brought my entire LP/CD Strawbs collection along, and he signed each one after the show. Meeting them was the highlight of the year for me.
JB

That says a lot about him...He's dedicated to his fans and shows appreciation. I purchased his solo cd "Two Weeks Last Summer" from 1972 and was amazed by it. I also bought the new Strawbs cd "Deja Fou" and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your opinion with me. It's nice to know there are other Strawbs & Hudson/Ford fans here at the A&M corner.

For some reason a record store I frequent had this in the Contemporary Christian/Religious section; I put it in its proper place where a copy of Nickelodeon (--Nick! --Hello, Dionne!), was waiting...! :laugh:

Check your house and make sure that IS a Hudson-Ford Free Spirit LP in your record rack! I wouldn't want it to be a REAL Gas Can, there...! :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom