• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Jazz Heritage Sampler (CD 17607)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Various Artists
JAZZ HERITAGE SAMPLER

A&M CD 17607

sp17607.jpg

Released 1988

Format: CD Promo

Artists/Songs:
  • 1. Quincy Jones - KILLER JOE - 5:10
    (from Walking In Space CD801, Produced by Creed Taylor)
    2. Wes Montgomery - UP AND AT IT - 4:13
    (from Down Here On The Ground CD 802, Produced by Creed Taylor)
    3. George Benson - SHAPE OF THINGS THAT ARE AND WERE - 5:46
    (from The Shape Of Things To Come CD 803, Produced by Creed Taylor)
    4. Chet Baker - UN POCO LOCO - 9:20
    (from You Can't Go Home Again CD 805, Produced by Don Sebesky)
    5. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - TAKE FIVE - 9:45
    (from 25th Anniversary Reunion CD 806, Produced by John Snyder)
    6. Gerry Mulligan - K-4 PACIFIC - 5:05
    (from The Age Of Steam CD 804, Produced by Stephan Goldman)
    7. Don Cherry - DEGI-DEGI - 7:06
    (from Brown Rice CD 809, Produced by Corrado Bacchelli)
    8. Charlie Haden - ELLEN DAVID - 9:10
    (from Closeness Duets CD 808, Produced by Ed Michel)
    9. Ornette Coleman - THEME FROM A SYMPHONY (VARIATION 2) - 11:07
    (from Dancing In Your Head CD 807, Produced by Ornette Coleman)

Sequenced by John Snyder and Rudy Van Gelder, April 1988 at Van Gelder Recording Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

Liner notes by John Snyder and Rudy Van Gelder

Capt. Bacardi

Hmmmm...I probably should've looked at the TRACK LIST before voting, but then again, only a FEW songs here I have heard... (Quincy Jones -- "Killer Joe", Wes Montgomery -- "Up And At It" and George Benson -- "Shape Of Things That Are And Were") Of course, nearly everyone should know Dave Brubeck's Signature Song, "Take Five"... Given how some of these artists died around this time, if not before, this "Swan Song" seems the perfect "epitaph" for 'em...

Wonder if there are more "Volumes" in this "Series"... Good list of songs, but too short to really be "definitive"... :!:

Point Aside: Are we done done with VINYL in the Jazz Series, and that's why I've been seeing CD's as "Album-Of-The-Week"? :?:

Dave

Dave said:
Point Aside: Are we done done with VINYL in the Jazz Series, and that's why I've been seeing CD's as "Album-Of-The-Week"? :?:

Almost. Some of the "Modern Masters Series" came out on vinyl as well as CDs, but this is the time when vinyl was being phased out.

Capt. Bacardi

The Jazz Heritage series were digi-pack CD packaged in longboxes from 1988. Many reissues of A&M-CTI and Horizon titles.

The Modern Masters Jazz Series began in 1989 and featured Don Cherry, Sun Ra, Gerry Mulligan, Art Blakey, Max Roach & Dizzy Gillespie, The Paris Allstars and Cecil Taylor. Very few vinyl releases; just the initial Ra, Cherry and Taylor albums, as I recall.

JB

Well, before this becomes another "Album of The MONTH", I sure look forward to more installments in the "A&M Jazz Album of The Week-series"... :goofygrin:

Dave

...thinking how sad it is to see the Jazz Forum empty--compared to the other discussion boards and how nice if some (almost) Jazz-related posts could come "down here"... :badteeth:

I'm about to start on the Modern Masters Series, but I need to upload all of those CD covers in my so-called "free time". Look for these to start this weekend.

Capt. Bacardi
...who actually has a life away from the Corner - offline... :wink:

It seems I forgot to comment on this CD. :oops:

It's a nice little compilation, focusing more on the meaty Horizon sessions, as opposed the the string-burdened CTI stuff. That's always been my main complaint about Creed Taylor's productions. Wes Montgomery and George Benson played some great guitar, but the production of the albums lessened the effect IMHO. But here you only hear a couple of examples of that period before hearing the more pure side of jazz. The Gerry Mulligan piece has always been a favorite of mine, and Charlie Haden's "Ellen David" is just gorgeous.

This was a promo CD and may be hard to find, but it's worth picking up!

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom