• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Joan Baez - THE BEST OF JOAN C. BAEZ (SP-4668)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Joan Baez
THE BEST OF JOAN C. BAEZ

A&M SP-4668

sp4668.jpg

Tracks:

Children and all That Jazz
Diamonds and Rust
Forever Young
Gracias a La Vida (Here's to Life)
Imagine
Love Song to a Stranger

Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer
Please Come to Boston
Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose)
Simple Twist of Fate
Sweeter for Me
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Available as an economically priced import CD from amazon.com

JB

Seems to me we've covered this one before, but maybe I'm thinking of something else...

You would think that given the irony of compilations that "Diamonds & Rust" would have been done live, much like "Please Come to Boston", "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose)"...

I do prefer the Live version of "Diamonds & Rust, so I would find it a bit more pleasing to find it included here & not to have to suffer with the double live set From Every Stage...

--Which along with Diamonds & Rust (the album) this "greatest hits" mainly concentrates on (and why, pray tell, did "Children & All That Jazz" have to be included here????!!!!)

Easily an "all you need set", made obvious by the "Best Of" moniker...

Dave

I picked up the budget CD of this years ago. It served as a sort of CD "upgrade" from the old DIAMONDS AND RUST LP.

Harry

For Baez completists, there's the 4-disc COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS, released in 2003.

JB

LPJim said:
For Baez completists, there's the 4-disc COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS, released in 2003.

JB

Given that "In The Quiet Morning" was one of only four chart singles for Joan while she was at A&M, it's surprising that you'd have to resort to an album "for completists" to get it.

But I see that BEST OF also skips a second chart single, "Blue Sky", which did a little better on the pop chart and a little worse on the AC chart than "Morning". So they're blowing off half her A&M chart singles (which were the last of her career so far).

I don't think it's all that surprising that a charted single gets left out. Look at the TJB "Greatest Hits" albums. A bunch of charted singles were left off while non-charting - and even non-singles - were on these compliations.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I don't think it's all that surprising that a charted single gets left out. Look at the TJB "Greatest Hits" albums. A bunch of charted singles were left off while non-charting - and even non-singles - were on these compliations.

Capt. Bacardi

The TJB had dozens of chart singles...they had to leave some off (even from FOURSIDER). But Joan only had four on A&M.

Quite often, if you just compiled an artist's hits, the resulting album would be boring (or in many cases, too short!). Adding a few favorite album tracks can balance things out and make for a better listening experience, not to mention saving a few hits for a "volume 2" collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom