• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Manolo Badrena - MANOLO (SP-4783)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Manolo Badrena
MANOLO

A&M SP-4783

sp4783.jpg

Released 1979

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD (Japan)

Produced by Herb Alpert & Manolo Badrena

Songs:
  • 1. The One Thing (Manolo Badrena) - 5:54
    2. Canales (Love Will Pave The Way) (Sybil Thomas/Manolo Badrena) - 3:31
    3. Got Some (News For You) (Manolo Badrena) - 4:43
    4. Clube Da Esquina (The Corner) (Milton Nascimento/Lo Borges/Marcio Borges) - 4:08
    5. Fly Away (Agueybana) (Manolo Badrena) - 5:14
    6. Claro Que Si (Yes Of Course) (Manolo Badrena) - 4:00
    7. Yana (Manolo Badrena) - 2:33
    8. Amor Lejano (Distant Love) (Manolo Badrena) - 6:57

Musicians:
Manolo Badrena - Percussion, Vocals, Synthesizer, Tabla, Sound Effects, Drums, Timbal, Conga
Jorge "Jeta" Fattoruso - Drums, Percussion
Abraham Laboriel - Bass
Jaco Pastorius - Bass (1)
Carlos Rios - Guitar
Maria Fatima - Guitar (4)
Hugo Fattoruso - Synthesizer, Piano, Fender Rhodes, Cavaquinho, Guitar, Baul, Vocals
Alfredo De La Fe - Violin
Gary "El Buho" Gazaway - Trumpet, Trombone, Recorder, Shells, Percussion
Vocals: Sybil Thomas, Vennette Gloud, Carmen Twillie, Lani Hall, Maria Fatima

Recorded and Mastered at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood
Engineered by Mark Smith
Assistant Engineer: Steve Katz
Mastered by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Amy Nagasawa
Illustration: Mac James/Rod Dyer, Inc.
Photo Illustration of Manolo: Michael Going

"Manolo took me on a trip way beyond anything I had ever been exposed to before. I used to be rather quick to judge music based on melody, form and content. Manolo inadvertently showed me another equally important ingredient called ENERGY, and there's no shortage here.

Thanks 'Nolo'
I love you,"
- Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

I've never seen this album, but on the back cover of Main Event Live, this dude looks like a CRAZY man...gotta love it! :D I'm going to have to hunt this one down, especially if Herb produced it.

I went to Amazon, and found out that this album has been released in CD format as an import, but is no longer available. I would guess that it was a Japanese import, and that it's pretty rare [read: pricey...].

Judging from the credits, Manolo did a lot more than just bang the pots...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
I went to Amazon, and found out that this album has been released in CD format as an import, but is no longer available. I would guess that it was a Japanese import, and that it's pretty rare [read: pricey...].

Dan

I just checked at Gemm, and they didn't have anything under his name.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
DAN BOLTON said:

Dan

I just checked at Gemm, and they didn't have anything under his name.

Dan

Digging further, I found this link to an interview with Manolo by Alex Pertout from Drumscene[2000]. He talks a little about his first album, which is our thread feature.

http://pertout.customer.netspace.net.au/manolobadrena.htm

It's an interesting read...

Dan

Rudy said:
I've never seen this album, but on the back cover of Main Event Live, this dude looks like a CRAZY man...gotta love it! :D

I saw him with Weather Report in early '77 and let's just say he has some enthusiasm!

Capt. Bacardi

DAN BOLTON said:
I went to Amazon, and found out that this album has been released in CD format as an import, but is no longer available. I would guess that it was a Japanese import, and that it's pretty rare [read: pricey...]

I see there is a CD available on eBay for $32.50. I don't think it's worth that much myself, but maybe there are others who are interested....

Capt. Bacardi

Quite an illustrious career Manolo had... He played as an in-demand session musician with such artists as, Pete Levin, Debbie Harry, Blondie, Gino Vannelli, Andy Summers, Carla Bley, Spyro Gyra, Weather Report, Dave Valentin, Clive Stevens, Ronnie Cuber, Lani Hall and Steve Khan...

Brief, but interesting story on Badrena's life and career at Answers.com (with at least one fact which may surprise you)...:

Dave

This is an interesting little album. Very intense rhythms throughout, and for the most part the record works well. Things start off grooving with "The One Thing", followed by a rather surprising pop feature on "Canales" with Sybil Thomas providing some nice vocals. "Got Some" didn't do anything for me, since it's a pretty much a disco thing. My favorite tune is the gorgeous ballad "Clube Da Esquina", with Maria Fatima providing some wordless vocals throughout. If there's one problem with this album it's that some of the song structures aren't all that coherent, such as on "Claro Que Si" and "Yana". It seems more importance was placed on the rhythms and little on the song forms. But all in all it's a nice album. 3 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom