• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Michael Murphey COSMIC COWBOY SOUVENIR (SP 4388)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Michael Murphey
COSMIC COWBOY SOUVENIR

A&M SP4388

sp4388.jpg

SIDE ONE

Cosmic Cowboy Part One 3:54/ Alleys of Austin 5:05/ South Canadian River Song* 7:14/ Blessing in Disguise 3:43.

SIDE TWO

Temperature Train** 3:54/ Drunken Lady of the Morning 4:22/ Prometheus Busted 3:40/ Honolulu 4:22/ Rolling Hills 4:25.

All songs by Michael Murphy except *Murphy/Nunn and ** Quarto/Murphy and published by Mystery Music BMI/ Produced by Bob Johnston
Engineering and Mixing by Bob Potter

Michael Murphey -- acoustic guitar, keyboards, vocals, arrangements
Gary P. Nunn -- electric rhythm guitar, keyboards, synthesizer, background vocals, bass, melodica
Michael McGeary - drums and constant rhythm
Herb Steiner -- mandolin, pedal steel guitar and humor
Robert Livingston (King Olaf) -- background vocals, electric rhythm guitar, bass and funky energy
Craig Hillis -- electric lead guitar
W. Alan Ramsey -- background vocals & carrot cake (courtesy of Shelter Records)
Larry Cansler -- string arrangements on "Blessing in Disguise"

Recorded at Ray Stevens' Sound Laboratory, Nashville, TN
Thanks to Ben Talent, David Malloy and Stuart Keathley
Special Assistance, Editing and Mastering: Allan McDougall, A&M Records
Stings on "Blessings ..." recorded by Allan McDougall and Michael Jackson at Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood CA

Artwork and album design by Bill Holloway, Austin TX
Photography by Gary Bishop, Dallas TX
Co-ordination: Martin Machat, Eric Kronfeld and Jeff Laytin, New York NY
Special thanks to Joy, Teresa, Kevin, Spud, Roberta and especially Diana

Final approval by Ryan Murphey
The Robet Livingston Uncivil Opera appears by permissiveness
Creative advisor -- G. P. Nunn/ Poetic License -- C.J. Quatro

This album dedicated to Paul Burns

Available on CD with 5 live bonus tracks through amazon.com

www.michaelmartinmurphey.com

Michael Murphey
COSMIC COWBOY SOUVENIR

A&M SP4388...

Murphey's second-A&M-contribution... He would later gain fame with the hit, "Wildfire"... Sorry I didn't see Michael perform in concert, a few years ago when he was at a venue, near me, when I had the chance... "Folk-Singer of Eve Of Destructionfame-turned Christian-Rocker", Barry McGuire had a Christian-Rock song, "Cosmic Cowboy", which I'm sure is far different than Michael Murphey's...

Dave

Captain 'named after the Jobim song' said:
...Was there an SP-4387?

Capt. Bacardi

Actually it is being discussed here in the Sergio Mendes/Brasilian Music Forum:

http://amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5740

[quote='I never met an A&M album I didn't like'-Jim]...My notes list this title as both 4378 and 4387, so it seems appropriate to move on to SP 4388 for the next AOTW...
JB

AOTW: Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 Live At The EXPO '70 --
(Released under various catalog numbers in Japan, UK, and Australia)
[/quote]

...for our MANY Mendes/Brasilian Music FANS to have, yet another topic to discuss there--hence TWO A&M Albums-of-The Week! :badteeth:

Dave

Dave said:
Michael Murphey
COSMIC COWBOY SOUVENIR

A&M SP4388...

Murphey's second-A&M-contribution... He would later gain fame with the hit, "Wildfire"...
Now wasn't this his last A&M album? I seem to recall he joined the Epic label the very next year, before scoring with that song in question.

Yep! Only two for A&M and then he went to another label for his third and hit it (sort of) big. Same thing happened with Kim Carnes...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Yep! Only two for A&M and then he went to another label for his third and hit it (sort of) big. Same thing happened with Kim Carnes...

Murphey's one of those artists that actually had more hits than people usually remember. "Geronimo's Cadillac" was his lone major hit for A&M, but there were two Top 40 follow-up hits to "Wildfire" ("Carolina in the Pines" and "Renegade," if I remember right). Not to mention his successful comeback as a major presence on the country charts in the '80s (and the pop-crossover hit "What's Forever For.")
Actually, your Carnes comparison is a good one, 'cause she, too, ultimately immersed herself wholly into the country scene after her run of hits on the pop charts. Not to mention that Murphey, following his Epic stint, moved to Liberty, the country-oriented subsidiary label of Carnes' label EMI in the '80s.

Jeff F.

Michael Murphey was here in Forsyth for a concert at our County Fair a few years ago. He gave a good show, although maybe not quite raucous enough for a fair. But very good nonetheless. It was cool hearing "Wildfire" live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom