• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Milton Nascimento - MILTON (SP-4611)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 4 80.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Milton Nascimento
MILTON

A&M SP-4611

sp4611.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track/CD (Verve Reissue)

Produced by Rob Fraboni
Associate Producer (Brazil): Ronaldo Bastos

Songs:
  • 1. Raça (Hasa) (Race) (Milton Nascimento/Fernando Brant) - 3:35
    2. Fairly Tale Song (Cadê) (Milton Nascimento/Ruy Guerra/Matthew Moore) - 4:11
    3. Francisco (Milton Nascimento) - 4:27
    4. Nothing Will Be As It Was (Nada Será Como Antes) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos/Rene Vincent) - 3:53
    5. Cravo e Canela (Clove and Cinnamon) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos) - 3:44
    6. The Call (Chamada) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos) - 5:49
    7. One Coin (Tostão) (Milton Nascimento/Matthew Moore) - 4:30
    8. Saídas e Bandeiras (Exits and Flags) (Milton Nascimento/Fernando Brant) - 4:45
    9. Os Povos (The People) (Milton Nascimento/Marcio Borges) - 8:06

Arranged by Milton and The Group

Musicians:
Milton Nascimento - Guitars, Vocals, Whistling
Novelli - Bass and Double Bass
Toninho Horta - Electric and 12-String Guitars
Roberto Silva - Drums and Percussion
Laudir de Oliveira - Percussion
Maria Fatima - Vocals (1, 7)
Wayne Shorter - Soprano and Tenor Saxophones (2, 4, 8, 9)
Hugo Fattoruso - Piano, Organ (3, 4, 7, 9)
Herbie Hancock - Piano (3, 4, 5, 7)
Airto Moreira - Drums and Percussion (5)
Raul de Souza - Trombone (5, 8 )

Recorded at Shangri-La Studios, Malibu and The Village Recorder, Los Angeles
Engineer - Jeremy Zatkin
Second Engineers: Terry Becker and Tim Kramer
Mixed at The Village Recorder, Los Angeles
Mastered at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Photography: CAFI

Capt. Bacardi

Milton Nascimento's REAL "Courage"!: Where else are you going to hear such a definitive version of "Cravo e Canela (Cinnamon and Cloves)", also done by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 and which Milton performed with Flora Purim on her Live Album, 500-Miles High...! The daring "Nothing Will Be As It Was (Nada Será Como Antes)" was a song and album, by Flora, too! The Nascimento originals, like "Raça--Hasa (Race)", "Francisco", "Saídas e Bandeiras (Exits and Flags)", "The Call (Chamada)", "One Coin (Tostão)", " and "Os Povos (The People)" display a more otugoing and still-emotional side of Milton, a far cry, but also reminiscent of his debut album, Courage on the A&M/CTi imprint... And check out the Brasilian/Americano merger of "Fairly Tale Song (Cadê)", a collaboration with Matthew Moore, brother of obscure ABC/Dunhill recording artist, Daniel Moore... "...What Brasilian-Jazz really Should Be!!"

Eric Clapton was also recording at "L.A.'s Village" and "Malibu's Shangri La" Recording Studios, maybe at this time... :?:

***** ...:!:

Dave

This is a really strong album - great, classic songs, done with energy and superb musicianship. The only drawback to me are sitting through Milton and his THICK accent groping with some of the sub-par English lyrics, especially in the song "Fairy Tale" (although there is a perverse pleasure to hearing him sing lines like 'Tinker Bell and Peter Pannnn.....") "The Call" still takes my breath away.....

JTCW

Producer Rob Fraboni served as engineer on saxophonist Wayne Shorter's 1975 recording NATIVE DANCER. Nascimento,Hancock,Airto and Silva show up on many of the tracks and Village Recorders was used for some of the taping. Shorter's album features five(out of nine tracks) compositions by Nascimento(he is given a "featuring" credit on the cover). Nice bookends,NATIVE DANCER is available on CD(gee,even Amazon pairs these two albums with their "better together"feature). Shorter recorded this while knee-deep with Weather Report and this album always got rave reviews,most notably for it being such a change of pace for Shorter. While I have always enjoyed ND,it has never seemed such a ground breaking album for me. World music in a fusion with jazz,especially Brazilian,seems more natural than earthshaking to these ears-what would be earth shattering is if this kind of music didn't exist. The CD of ND was released back in 1990,on Columbia's red label "Contemporary Jazz Classics" series with no additional tracks and audiophiles may feel that an audio upgrade is due(I only have the "Nice Price" vinyl version,anyway,and am not a good judge of sonics).Mac

This is simply a great album! Very musical, great rhythms, great sound. I don't have a clue what Milton is saying, but I know he's singing it with enthusiasm! :D One of my favorite songs is "Fairy Tale Song", which to me is just screaming for some Herb Alpert trumpets. "One Coin" is my other favorite. There's not a clunker at all on this album. Just about as good as you can get. 5 stars from me!

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom