• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Move SHAZAM (A&M SP 4259)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
THE MOVE
Shazam
SP 4259

sp4259.jpg

The gradual evolution of the Move's pop and progressive formats into the Electric Light Orchestra was among the most signifcant 'seed-plantings' of A&M's late '60s 4200 series transition period.
The Beatles-like short pop hits of this Birmingham, England, band can be heard on BEST OF THE MOVE (A&M SP/CD 3625), a double LP. This contained some big U.K. hits, like "Fire Brigade," "Blackberry Way" and "Night of Fear."
SHAZAM marked a change to lengthier experimental works, including the classical elements of "Cherry Blossom Clinic," the R&B/heavy metal of "Don't Make My Baby Blue" and the folk/psyche "Last Thing on My Mind." Fan comments are interspersed between songs.
The Move developed a wild onstage reputation, with TV sets being splintered with an axe at shows. The band lost the royalties to their single "Flowers in the Rain" in a libel suit brought by Prime Minister Harold Wilson. The single had used an unflattering photo of him (in his bath) as a promo, and England's libel laws did not exempt 'public figures' from receiving damages.
After SHAZAM came numerous personnel changes, with Roy Wood, Bev Bevan and Jeff Lynne forming ELO, operating the two bands simultaneously and eventually phasing out the Move. Wood left for a solo career just as ELO was ascending to its mid-70s glory.

Side One: Hello Susie (Wood) 4:55/ Beautiful Daughter (Wood) 2:36/ Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited (Wood) 7:40.
Side Two: Fields of People (Day/ Pierson) 10:09/ Don't Make My Baby Blue (Mann/Weil) 6:18/ The Last Thing on My Mind (Paxton) 7:35.

Special thanks to Manfred Moller, Laus Enghusen and Jurgen Maisenhalder
Produced by Roy Wood for Tarantula Productions Inc./ comments recorded in Gt. Portland Steet/ Cover design by Nickleby/ Back cover photography by London Photo Agency.

CD availability: reissued by Repertoire Records & Tapes (REP 4296-WY) in 1993 with five bonus tracks which previously made up the live SOMETHING ELSE FROM THE MOVE E.P.:

So You Want to be a Rock & Roll Star 3:01/ Stephanie Knows Who 3:06/ Something Else 2:24/ It'll be Me 2:38/ Sunshine Help Me 5:14.

SHAZAM personnel: Roy Wood, guitar/vocals; Bev Bevan, drums/vocals; Carl Wayne, vocals; Rick Price, bass/vocals.
JB

Visit this informative site:

www.themoveonline.com

A related news report appeared today. Jeff Lynne was producer of the final album by George Harrison, recorded apx. 2 months prior to his death and due for release soon. The two worked together previously in the Traveling Wilburys (with Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan). Lynne stated the new recording would stand equal to Harrison's best work.
JB
NP: The Move "Last Thing on My Mind" SP 4259

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom