• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Nino Tempo & 5th Ave. Sax COME SEE ME...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Nino Tempo & 5th Ave. Sax
COME SEE ME 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

A&M SP3629

sp3629.jpg

SIDE ONE
Come See Me 'Round Midnight 3:01/ High On the Music 3:27/ Sister James 2:33/ Gettin' Off 2:31/ Chrome Plated 3:03/ Don't Stop Now 3:37.

SIDE TWO
What Now My Love 3:40/ Roll It 3:12/ Safari 4:34/ Money 3:14/ Last Cut - Side 2 2:48.

Produced and Arranged by Jeff Barry and Nino Tempo/ Engineers: Norm Kinney and Rick Porter/ Second Engineers; Milton (Magoo) Calice and Dave Iveland/ Mastering: Bernie Grundman/ Art Direction: Roland Young/ Nino Tempo photo by Jim McCrary/ Design and Photography: Hagiwara and McGowan.

JB

For more information, visit:

www.ninoandapril.com

Had this LP before, as well as one Non-LP single, "CLAIR DE LUNE IN JAZZ", a nice, easy-going Jazz piece; almost a "Concerto for Sax 'N' Vibes!" (b/w "SISTER JAMES") And Nino made another Non-LP '45', of two songs, which I didn't have, "ROLL IT" b/w "HAWKEYE"...

Nino Tempo also made a couple of "duets" with sister, April Stevens on '45': "YOU TURN ME ON" b/w "NEVER HAD A LOVER", as well as, "HOOTCHIE KOOTCIHIE WANG-DANG DOODLE", actually backed with a Jazzy, Scat-version of "LOVE STORY (WHERE DO I BEGIN)", more-sung by Nino & April, rather than played on sax by Nino...

Now here's something else that should make it as a "Complete Works Package on CD"; hopefully we'll someday see that, as I thought of this as a real Classy A&M Act, even long-after the still-constant recognition of the not-so-forgotten "Deep Purple", from way back in the '50's, where this all started!

Dave

April also recorded solo on A&M. I have a double-sided promo of "Marry Me Again" around here somewhere.
JB

This is one of my favorites by a "one-A&M-LP-artist." I became familir with it from a promo 45 or two ("Gettin' Off" was one tune and I believe "Don't Stop Now" was the other) that I found at a used record shop in Glendale CA. Based on these tracks and how much I liked them, I immediately set out to find the album. about 5 years later I finally found it. Incidentally "Gettin' Off" was used in one of my student films for its catchy "spy" motif...

Funny how this week's Jazz AOTW is one I'd discuss not so much in the jazz forum as in the Herb Alpert Forum. And this one is one I would discuss in the Jazz forum. Will it be long before Phil Ochs gets discussed in the Sergio Forum? :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
...Funny how this week's Jazz AOTW is one I'd discuss not so much in the Jazz Forum as in the Herb Alpert Forum... ...And this one is one I would discuss in the Jazz forum...

--Mr Bill

I agree! Should we start shiftin' em?! :oneeye: (And what about moving Perry Botkin, Jr.'s Ports there, too!) :laugh:

Mr Bill said:
...Will it be long before Phil Ochs gets discussed in the Sergio Forum...? :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Hey, with the way I see things go 'round here, sometimes, why not?! :bigevil:

...Gettin' a lil' Snarky, myself! :twitchy:

Dave

P.S.--LP Jim said:
..April also recorded solo on A&M... ...I have a double-sided promo of "Marry Me Again" around here somewhere...

JB

Well, I think I remember seeing it... Do you know what was originally on the B-Side?

Dave

No, but if you'll go to the Nino & April official site you'll find an excellent discography.
I'd prefer to own both sides of the 45 but sometimes the double-sided promo's all I can find.
JB

www.ninoandapril.com

April Stevens recorded at least one A&M '45' as "April"... (With Nino Tempo heard on background vocals and even blowin' some sax...) "Wake Up And Love Me" B/W "Gotta Leave You, Baby" exist on A&M as 1528...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom