• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Cheryl Dilcher MAGIC (A&M SP 3640)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Cheryl Dilcher
MAGIC

A&M SP3640

sp3640.jpg

SIDE ONE

Magic 2:58/ Home to Me 3:15/ Devil Song 4:10/ It's A Secret 3:33/ Fantasy 4:43

SIDE TWO

Who's the Captain (of Rock'N Roll) 3:20/ The Good Times 3:27/ Together 3:16/ You're the One 2:56/ Dance 5:29

All selections written by Cheryl Dilcher except "You're the One" (Dilcher-Jeff Barry) & published by Almo Music Corp./ Jansa Music ASCAP

Produced by Jeff Barry
Recorded at A&M Studio and mixed at Sound Labs, Hollywood CA

Cheryl Dilcher - acoustic 12-string
"Rick Robin" Beilke - electric guitar and background vocals
Randy Koontz - bass and background vocals
Joe Aglio - drums and background vocals

Clarence McDonald - keyboards
Rusty Young - pedal steel on "Devil Song"
Nino Tempo - sax solo on "Fantasy"

Engineer - Norm Kinney/ Asst. Engineer - Milt Calice
Mastering Engineer - Bernie Grundman
Photography - Suzanne Ayres
Art Direction - Roland Young
Album Design - Chuck Beeson

JB

Is there an echo in here?

Just kidding, Andrew! LP Jim often posts the AOTW data and picture but sometimes forgets the picture (usually in cases where he doesn't own the LP). I usually go in right after him and add the bold text Artist and TITLE and cover art...

BTW, we have almost all the LP covers in our archive now, with few gaps. I am presently compiling single (45) sleeves for a future feature...

--Mr Bill

An LP which I once had... The songs are fairly memorable and fairly great singing from Cheryl with an instrumental or two thrown in for good measure...

Dave

Another website dedicated to her by a friend named Susan Hamburger: http://www.personal.psu.edu/sxh36/cheryldilcher.htm

This one was last updated in 2005 and makes no mention of death, but it appears as an incomplete website covering only her "early years" on the NY folk scene and an LP discography.

Ms. Hambuirger does provide an email address so one of us more intrepid individuals may choose to pursue this. Ms Dilcher's death is not reported on any of the "Musician Death" websites I peruse regularly in my website maintenance...

--Mr Bill

It's a shame that Ms. Dilcher is no longer with us, after probably many years of not knowing any current where-abouts! :cry:

The same thing happened to Candy Givens of a Colorado-based Rock Group, Zephyr (which employed the late-Rock Newcomer, Tommy Bolin) and even Chi Coltrane (...of Thunder and Lightning-fame)--just some fairly good female talent, which either had gone down a route to becoming a housewife or just, in their case, simply and very sadly, passing away... :sad:

A real obscure Cheryl Dilcher album is her debut before the first A&M album, on an obscure label, on which a then-unknown Bette Midler actually sang background vocals, before she began her recording career...

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

About contacting Ms. Hamburger by e-mail: consider it done!
Hope to get a meaningful reply,
JB

I sent an email to Ms. Hamburger last night and found a reply in my mailbox this afternoon.

Indeed Cheryl Dilcher passed away as reported from an apparent seizure. This was discovered by her apartment landlord. Updating the website to include this information was postponed until friends in her native Allentown, PA, could be notified.

Also there was no obit published in any newspapers, according to her family's wishes.

Ms. Hamburger said she has received several inquiries and will post an update now that sufficient time has elapsed and added "thanks for caring."
Although the news was sad it was good to receive a prompt reply.

JB

Very sad is right! I bet a good simple (and perhaps "unplugged") Concert set from Cheryl would be really great to witness!

Dave

I remember buying this album with great eagerness and dismissing it as "too mellow." I think I put it in our "used record" bin and got rid of it. I'd probably like it more now - I used to gravitate mostly to "fast" songs, but now I'm more tolerating of all kinds of tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom