🎵 AotW AOTW: Paul Winter - Earthdance (SP-4653)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Paul Winter
EARTHDANCE

A&M SP-4653

sp4653.jpg

Released 1977

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/8-Track

Songs:
  • 1. Big Hug (Un Abraco)
    2. Icarus (Towner/Winter)
    3. General Pudson's Entrance (Towner)
    4. Africanus Brasileiras Americanus (Traditional)
    5. My Horse Knows The Way (Brown)
    6. Little Train Of The Caipira (Villa-Lobos)
    7. Ballad In 7/8 (Traditional)
    8. Fantasy, Fugue And Ghost Beads (Bach/Towner)
    9. Jenny (Mason/Stookey)

Musicians:
Paul Winter - Soprano Sax
David Darling - Cello
Paul McCandless - Oboe, English Horn
Glen Moore - Bass
Ralph Towner - Guitars, Piano
Collin Walcott - Drums and Percussion
Richard Bock - Cello

I don't have this LP so I got this much info from the All Music Guide site. If anyone has this album please post any additions or corrections!

Capt. Bacardi

This album is a compilation of tunes from Winter's previously released A&M albums, including WINTER CONSORT, SOMETHING IN THE WIND and ROAD.
JB

An OK P/W Compilation...; ...As usual mostly songs from ONE of the original albums get the "most-picked"! :baah:

Dave

LPJim said:
This album is a compilation of tunes from Winter's previously released A&M albums, including WINTER CONSORT, SOMETHING IN THE WIND and ROAD.

Ahhh, I was wondering why some of these songs seemed familiar!

Capt. Bacardi

"The Little Train Of Caipira" should be recognizable to TjB fans as "The Brass Are Comin'".

Harry

"Little Train",not only aka as "The Brass Are Comin'" but as "Bachianas Brasilerias #2, and "Ballad in 7/7" come from THE WINTER CONSORT(SP4170),"My Horse" and "Jenny" come from SOMETHING IN THE WIND(A&M 4279),the rest come from ROAD(SP 4279).
The Winter recorded history is a little strange in that,as I can tell,after these first three Consort albums from 1968 to 1970,Paul only recorded ICARUS for Epic in 1972. After a five year gap in recording,this compilation is followed by a return to A&M with COMMON GROUND(SP 4698). Even Winter's Living Music website lists the first three A&M albums as the "early" Consort.
Ralph Towner, Paul McCandless,Colin Walcott and Glen Moore,four of the six Consort members heard on ROAD left Winter in 1972 to form Oregon,a similar but more musically adventurous group. I've always felt that there was bitterness between the two groups,but McCandless was featured guest of the 26th annual Winter Solstice shows of just a couple of weeks ago.
Hard to say what the EARTHDANCE comp was trying to accomplish:a preview to COMMON GROUND,a primer for Oregon fans ,or as an early reference to "New Age Music",as the liner notes suggest. I've understood that Winter has loathed any new age reference to his work,though it has probably contributed to many sales of concert tickets and albums. The cover has a pseudo Native American overblown look and is pretty embarrassing in a Roger Dean kind of way. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom