🎵 AotW AOTW: Sylvia Syms - SHE LOVES TO HEAR THE MUSIC (SP-4696)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Sylvia Syms
SHE LOVES TO HEAR THE MUSIC

A&M SP-4696

sp4696.jpg

Sylvia Syms (1917-1992) was a New York jazz and pop singer. She received informal training from Billie Holiday, was discovered by Mae West and worked with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

Syms had chart hits with "I Could Have Danced All Night" (from 'My Fair Lady') and "English Muffins and Irish Stew," on Decca Records in 1956. The songs reached Number 20 and 21 respectively.

Sinatra called her "the world's best saloon singer." Syms recorded for many labels, including Columbia, Decca, Reprise and Prestige. She was active on the night club circuit all of her life.

SIDE ONE

She Loves to Hear the Music 5:11
Teach Me Tonight 3:30
Touch Me In the Morning 4:06
Sweet Georgia Brown 5:12

SIDE TWO:

When It Was Done 4:34
After the Lovin' 3:23
If You Really Love Me 3:25
I'm In You 4:42
It Had to Be You 3:13

Produced by Don Sebesky (arranger) and Dick Duane for Pinder Lane Productions, Ltd.
Executive Producer: Dee Anthony for Bandana Enterprises
Production Supervisor: Vince Mauro

MUSICIANS:

Keyboards: Frank Owens, Michael Renzi, Don Sebesky
Guitars: Steve Khan, Hugh McCracken, Gene Bertoncini
Tenor Sax: Eddie Daniels, Michael Brecker, Joe Farrell
Soprano & Alto Sax: Arnie Lawrence
Solo Guitar on "I'm In You" by Peter Frampton
Solo Guitar on "It Had to Be You" by Joe Beck

Oboe & Flute: George Marge
Bass: Will Lee, Ron Carter, Neil Jason
Drums: Allen Schwartzberg, Ron Zito
Percussion: Susan Evans
Synthesizer: Ken Bichel

Vocals: Joshie Armstead, Patti Austin, Gwen Guthrie
Trumpet & Flugelhorn: Jim Bossy
Trombones: Wayne Andre & Urbie Green
Bass Trombone: Paul Faulice
French Horns: Jim Buffington, Bob Carlisle, Earl Chapin

Flutes: Philip Bodner, Harvey Estrin, Lou Del Gatto
Violins: Harry Cykman, Max Ellen, Barry Finclair, Paul Gershman, Harry Lookofsky, John Pintavalli, Richard Sortomme, David Nadien

Violas: La Mar Alsop, Alfred Brown
Cellos: Jonathan Abramowitz, Jesse Levey, Charles McCracken
Harp: Margaret Ross

Recorded & Mixed at Sound Mixers Studios, New York City, in January through March, 1978
Mastered at Frankford/Wayne Mastering Labs, NY

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Junie Osaki
Cover Illustration: Patricia Dryden

JB

Quite an eclectic tune list ("I'm In You"? With a Frampton solo?).....I do know that Sinatra loved her voice and championed her singing; haven't heard much if any of her work myself, I'm sorry to say.

I never heard of this singer, but that's a great track list. Good songs there.

I notice the exec-producer is Dee Anthony, who also was involved with Frampton's career at that time, so that's probably how Frampton's guitar (and song) wound up on there.

Mike Blakesley said:
I notice the exec-producer is Dee Anthony, who also was involved with Frampton's career at that time, so that's probably how Frampton's guitar (and song) wound up on there.

Ditto the Peter Allen penned title track. Anthony was Peter's manager as well.

The "Lani Hall-like" treatment of Jimmy Webb's "When It Was Done" (although not as up to par as the Richard Harris, Hugo Montenegro and, especially the Walter Wanderley versions) is pretty neat, as well as her take on Peter Frampton's "I'm In You", which needed that guitar solo,--and by Frampton, himself...!

Sylvia Syms gives a fairly good and out-stretched phrasing and talkative style, and a very Michael Franks narrative (or maybe Laura Nyro confessional) touch to her music and this album (especially the Peter Allen-penned title track) is where she presents her self at her near-best...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom