• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: The Stranglers - BLACK & WHITE (SP-4706)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Stranglers
BLACK & WHITE

A&M SP-4706

sp4706.jpg

Hugh Cornwell - guitar & vocals
J.J. Burnes - bass & vocals
Dave Greenfield - keyboards
Jet Black - percussion

SIDE ONE

Tank 2:54
Nice 'N' Sleazy 3:11
Outside Tokyo 2:06
Sweeden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front) 2:47
Hey (Rise of the Robots) 2:13
Toiler in the Sea 5:23

SIDE TWO

Curfew 3:10
Threatened 3:30
Do You Wanna? - Death & Night & Blood - Yukio 5:25
In the Shadows 4:15
Enough Time 4:16

Recorded in Feb. 1978 at T.W. Studios, Fulham, London
Martin Rushert - producer
Alan Winsterly - engineer
Kevin Sparrow - sleeve design
Ruan O'Lochlainn - cover photo

Reissued as a Japan import CD and available via amazon.com. There are 6 bonus tracks:

Mean to Me/ Walk on By/ Shut Up/ Sverige/ Old Codger/ Tits

JB

Yay! Our AOTW feature has finally entered the punk/new wave era!

This one was the first Stranglers LP I purchased and -- as with just about everything I liked about that era -- it was the keyboards and instrumentation (as well as risque lyrics) that hooked me. With few exceptions, any band that was NOT guitar/bass/drums-based had my interest.

All four of their A&M albums (that includes the fourth which ended up on I.R.S.) are worth a listen. After they left A&M they became a bit more commercial and melodic and I found their sound less appealing after that.

Best song here is "Nice & Sleazy," "Tank," and "High Rise." If you can get your hands on the Japanese reissues (as I did) the bonus tracks will give you a pretty complete catalog of everything The Stranglers recorded (including such gems as the 6 cuts included on the 7" vinyl sealed inside the first pressing of their final A&M/I.R.S. release)...

--Mr Bill
posting from Camp Pendleton

"Eyes of a Stranger" was by Payola$ on the A&M/IRS album No Stranger To Danger.... Stranglers never had a bona fide hit in the US, though they came close a couple times.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
"Eyes of a Stranger" was by Payola$ on the A&M/IRS album No Stranger To Danger.... Stranglers never had a bona fide hit in the US, though they came close a couple times.

--Mr Bill

I know I know- I edited the post just before yours. OUCH OUCH OUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom