• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Are "Greatest Hits" Albums Lame These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just ran across an interesting news item that made some good points:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_en_mu/music_greatest_hit

'Best Of' Albums Not So Great These Days

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK - A greatest-hits album once stood as a watershed — a milestone chronicling a collection of top-rated hits, culturally significant songs or the end of a stellar career.

But in recent years, a flood of "best of" titles from acts with only few years in the business — and performers with even fewer hits — have called into question how great a greatest-hits collection is.

Last fall, Britney Spears released "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative," a retrospective of her chart-topping, multiplatinum recording career — all six years of it. The Backstreet Boys put out "The Hits: Chapter One" in 2001 — just four years after releasing their first album.

"I don't know what you'd put on a record if you've only been making records for five years. I don't know what those greatest hits would be," said veteran rocker John Mellencamp.

At least Spears and the Boys had a steady collection of hits — or can say they have more than just one.

Among the more questionable greatest-hits collections that have popped up in recent years: "Toy Soldiers: The Best of Martika" (with one hit from the 1980s); "The Best of Mandy Moore," from an entertainer who had more success as an actress than she ever did as a singer; and "The Best of O.D.B.," from the late rapper who will best be remembered for his wild behavior and legal troubles than his chart-topping hits (or lack thereof).

And while teen queen Hilary Duff has sold millions of albums, she's only released two discs — the first one in 2003 — and neither spawned a top 10 hit. Her "best of" collection, "Most Wanted," hit record stores Tuesday.

"I guess with music becoming so disposable, things just happen so much faster now," said Collective Soul singer Dean Roland, whose band put out a greatest-hits album of its own in 2001. "The short answer to the whole thing is it comes out to a money issue. The labels can put a greatest-hits album out and it's going to sell."

They can be wildly popular. The Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits: 1971-1975" is the best-selling album in U.S. history, selling more than 28 million copies. They're also cheap to produce and promote.

Sheryl Crow, whose "The Very Best of Sheryl Crow," was a multiplatinum hit in 2003, agrees that in some cases, thoughts of profits weigh heavily. "Part of that is record labels continually try to work their catalog so they always have money coming in," Crow said.

But Kevin Gore, executive vice president of sales and marketing at Rhino Entertainment, which puts out various greatest-hits packages, compilations and boxed sets, says a "Best of Sugar Ray" — which they recently released — is valid, even if some may sneer.

"At the end of the day, there's a larger audience that will buy a greatest-hits collection than might buy the individual albums just because they've chosen not to buy the original albums," Gore said.

"Let's say there's two hit songs on a record from five years ago, and then there's another two hit songs from a record that's three years ago," he said. "You have a greater opportunity to bring in a larger audience because you're putting all the hits in one place."

It's an idea the Backstreet Boys agree with — even though, initially, they balked at the idea of putting one out.

"For me as an artist, like, when I see somebody put out a greatest-hits record, they're either finished, or they need some time (off)," said Brian Littrell. "I kind of felt it was too soon to put those great songs on a CD. I think I wanted our fans to miss them a little bit."

However, Howie Dorough said in many ways, the greatest-hits album — which sold more than 1 million copies and contained a few new tunes — may have drawn the casual fan who had never brought a Backstreet Boys CD.

"We've had, knock on wood, over 12 singles," Dorough said. "But for somebody who's not a truly Backstreet fan, (who) wants to go out and buy five different records? ... To be able to go and buy their greatest hits, I'd do that in a heartbeat."

A more critical issue, record companies say, is the decreasing shelf space to carry an artist's catalog. With the advent of Wal-Mart and Target as major record stores, there are fewer outlets where you might find several different albums from one artist.

"If an artist has five or six or seven albums in his or her catalog, a lot of times many retailers are only carrying two or three. Perhaps songs that were included on albums one, three and five might no longer get the kind of visibility or shelf space that a hits record will provide those particular songs," said Jeff Jones, executive vice president of Sony BMG's catalog division Legacy Recordings (whose catalog releases this year range from Miles Davis to Bob Dylan to ... Martika).

Which brings us back to Martika's "Best Of ..." collection.

At the time, her "Toy Soldiers" was enjoying a resurgence after Eminem sampled it on his song, "Like Toy Soldiers." Fans searching for the original song may have been out of luck, Jones said.

Stores weren't carrying her records anymore, he said, adding: "So without creating a new hits collection, there's no visibility."

Besides, just because the average person can't name more than one Martika song doesn't mean there aren't fans out there.

"A hits collection doesn't necessarily always have to be 16 No. 1 songs," Jones said.

Not anymore.

Which is good news for the PM Dawns, Lisa Stansfields and Color Me Badds of the world — who all have greatest-hits albums.

Capt. Bacardi

A "tongue in cheek" Greatest Hits album was Phil Oches Greatest Hits on A&M, where I recall he touted "50 Phil Oches fans can't be wrong". :laugh:

I think there ought to be some kind of a law against calling something "Greatest Hits" when most of the songs on it are not hits at all.

We could gripe a little about our own beloved A&M acts-- how many of the songs on the 1970-era GREATEST HITS albums were actually chart hits? Less than half, I'd reckon.

Elton John --- now there's a guy who can make a greatest hits album. He has three out, and they are all packed full of actual hits.

I was hoping for a little more meat to the AP story after the headline drew me in. Two of the albums given lots of space come from the same label-Jive-so whether things are any different than decades ago is up for discussion. Sure,code words like "best of" are usually used for artists that don' have real charted hits,but the idea of an overview of the artist's career is what these collections are all about. and the shelf space situation is really the nuts and bolts to the AP story-these kind of collections do indeed thrive best in big box and mass merchant stores while deep catalog brick 'n mortar stores are replaced by the internet. While these comps exist,notice that the original albums are usually still available in print-the majors are loathe to take anything out of print for fear of returns- and internet retailers like Amazon(actually any retailer can if they want to) get those albums in just a few days. As for the Martika phenom-once again nothing new here,either-that album reminded me of one I just saw in an old fashioned mom 'n pop store yesterday. Kim Richey-a county-alt artist probably known more for her writing skills than her own albums-has a comp now and I think it's a great idea. Hopefully,someone who may like her writing or saw her touring with Trisha Yearwood might take a chance on that album and discover a talent way beyond the Faith Hill Wonder bread country pap currently out there. Whatever it takes to get the good stuff out there into more ears....Mac

I have my fair share of "Best of" and "Greatest Hits of" and "Essential Recordings of" CDs... heck, it seems like half of my Sergio Mendes collection comprises of compilation CDs.

As the buyers, we are the ones to beware... buying duds comes with the territory of being a music lover.

I don't think things have changed all that much since the "Greatest Hits" album was invented in the late 50s when Mitch Miller hit upon the idea of Columbia records releasing "Johnny's (Mathis) Greatest Hits".
In the 60s and 70s it seems like an artist always got a GH released when the record company started getting the idea that the artist was no longer a hot property. Herman's Hermits, The Buckinghams, Mitch Ryder, Dave Clark 5 and a host of others all had GH albums available within a couple of years of their debuts. The Supremes got a double album of GH three years into their hitmaking career. (Mellencamp, having come of age in this era, should be familiar with this trend.)
When A&M released the 1970 series of GH, Herb Alpert was really the only one of the bunch who qualified and a lot of his biggest hits weren't even on the album while a bunch of non-hits were. I guess this was to keep the track listing limited to the TJB's first five albums. The Sandpipers on the other hand, had only one legitimate hit that I can think of. And Wes Montgomery and The Baja Marimba Band didn't really have any. (BMB just missed the top 40 with "Comin' In The Back Door".)
In the CD era, a lot of GH albums serve the purpose of keeping one piece of product available for any artist with at least one memorable hit because there's still a market for that hit.
I recently spotted a CD in a Wal-Mart that proves the concept can be taken too far though: "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Greatest Hits Volume 4"!

I'm split on the idea of compilations, but the article does bring up a good point: if I'm only marginally interested in an artist, or an artist I've never really listened to before, a compilation is the best way for me to get the popular songs. And by that same token, this is great if you have to program music for a party or use it in some other project.

I think my biggest complaint is how some well-established artists seem to get a new compilation released every couple of years, re-churning the same old songs in a different order, changing a couple, then adding one or two mediocre unreleased tracks to get us to buy it. And the budget CD compilations of late just cheapen an artist's catalog--I refuse to buy those.

It also depends who does a compilation. Rhino put together a compilation of Gordon Lightfoot's songs, and this one gathered up tracks from the Warner Bros. AND United Artists recordings. Since I think the sound is too bright on this disc, it was recommended I get the earlier CD reissue of the LP Gord's Gold. Well, that turned out to be a mistake--the earlier songs were all re-recordings. :shake:

Timing seems to be a key factor in releasing a proper Greatest Hits collection. If a GH is compiled too early for an artist, you get a lot of non-hits mixed in with the hits. A lot of GH albums from the 60s and 70s contain half hits and half filler.
If a record company waits too long (as in the case of the first "best of's" by John Mellencamp and Bob Seger) there are too many hits to fit on one disc so a lot of fan favorites are left off.
Then there's the "Gord's Gold" type of compilation where an artist's current record company wants to do a comprehensive "best of" but can't license the material from the artist's former record company.
The Eagles GH is probably the best selling album of all time because Eagles fans love every song on it. The group was only in their 4th year of recording when it came out but 9 of the 10 songs were hit singles and the 10th, "Desperado" is kind of their signature song. When the group called it quits, Asylum quickly put out a second GH containing the hits from the "Hotel California" and "Long Run" albums and their live hit but had to add non-hits to fill it up.

The article is mistaken in its facts, forgot to clarify it: Thriller still remains the biggest selling album of all time with sales of over 40 million. The Eagles' is probably the biggest selling "greatest hits" album of all time.

I think second to The Eagles' Greatest Hits (1971 to 1975) would have to be Steve Miller's Greatest Hits, though it mainly takes out his best-known songs from FLY LIKE AN EAGLE and BOOK OF DREAMS albums and adds "The Joker" and I forgot the other one from THE JOKER... An interview I read quotes Miller as it being his "All-Time Best Seller" on LP, 8-Track and Cassette, as well as when it was put out on CD!

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits was actually released by Columbia Records when Dylan was recuperating from a motorcycle accident, which really consisted of his Best Known songs; it really wasn't done with much of his consent... But, he later he put out a Double-Album of his Greatest Hits, Volume 2 which I thought wasn't as good--but maybe because I originally thought that "Mighty Quinn" which I frequently heard was HIS and not (which I later found out) by Mannfred Mann... (Was disappointed in the rest of "Mannfred's" LP, too!)

Greatest Hits, Best Of's, Compilaitons, Retrospectives...whatever you want to call 'em are, to me, the best way to say, "get the wheat, without the chaff"--they DO contain mostly everything *I* want to hear, but they frequently get updated... ('Cept where's that "Volume 2" that Carly Simon suppossedly was going to make as HER Greatest Hits, released back in the '70's has a "Volume 1", in small-print, written way down on the bottom of the cover...)

And when Cassette-Tapes were "fast and furiously" getting phased-out, to make way for CD's, it was "Greatest Hits"-sets that made-up about 90% of the remaining-inventory...

Dave

...also "split" on this Issue... :shake: :confused:

Rudy said:
The article is mistaken in its facts, forgot to clarify it: Thriller still remains the biggest selling album of all time with sales of over 40 million. The Eagles' is probably the biggest selling "greatest hits" album of all time.

Well, with 7 top 10 singles among its track listing, "Thriller" probably contains more bona fide hits than your average "Greatest Hits" album!

I hate the idea that an artist's catalog is going to be out-of-print because of the availabliity of a GH CD. That having been said, I love a packed compilation, such as the Columbia 'essential' series. I owned no Johnny Cash or Dave Brubeck CDs, and in one fell swoop I got a well put-together, well documented and annotated overview of the whole career. What drives me nuts is a 10-song compilation on a CD with no liner notes, which all the labels (including A&M) are too often guilty of. I don't care if that worked on an album, on a CD it's a gyp. (Sergio Mendes' GH album has a great cover photo, though....)
JTCW

daveK said:
Well, with 7 top 10 singles among its track listing, "Thriller" probably contains more bona fide hits than your average "Greatest Hits" album!

You've got a point there! :agree:

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
I hate the idea that an artist's catalog is going to be out-of-print because of the availabliity of a GH CD.

That's exactly what bothers me about what happened to the GRP/MCA Jazz catalog. When Universal really took over everything, they swung that corporate axe at GRP. Artists like Lee Ritenour, Yellowjackets, Eddie Daniels, Gary Burton...you name it...all dropped from the roster, and the back catalog (which GRP kept in print) was purged in the cut-out bins. Yeah, I had some great bargain hunting when the CDs were 2 for $5, but now we're only given a compilation every two or three years that doesn't even touch the highlights.

Carpenters "The Singles 1969-1973" is a pretty amazing greatest hits album - not just for when it was released but also for now. Eleven real hits and one midchart entry...

The follow up UK disc, "1974-1978" pales in comparison, however. To be fair, it includes many solid hits but also a few B sides to round it out.

The newer "Singles 1969-1981" is pretty complete. "Gold" may be best of all.

I have to say, I like the albums that compile all the songs that ever hit the chart for an artist, high or low on the cahrt - it's kind of fascinating to see the choices in single-releasing for the not-as-successful songs...

JTCW

GH and BO comps are good for a certain niche market -- folks who are not completists and have memories they want to hear again. Like Lynyrd Skynyrd. I never heard of them until I joined the Navy and found out that every "good ol' boy" from the south had ALL their albums. For the most part I don't get it (and nearly got my a** kicked for saying so). Their music does little or nothing for me, but the importance of two songs ("Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama") make acquiring a set like Millenium Collection crucial to a "musicologist" like me. :)

--Mr Bill
preferring A&M's .38 Special for his "southern rock" needs...

I see a distinct difference between "greatest hits" and a "best of" series. "Greatest hits" should be just that - charted hits. "Best of" can be different, as in an artist's best performances, whether the songs charted or not. Of course, you can get into another argument about whether a certain song is really an artist's better performance. Jazz artists would be a perfect fit for a "best of" series, as would some more elite rock/pop acts as Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd, who actually had very few charted tunes.

Capt. Bacardi

In the case of "Greatest Hits" VS. a "Best Of" I do prefer the latter... Jackson Browne is someone else whom a Retrospective was long-overdue; I don't think he's ever had a hit since "Lawyers In Love" back in '83...(?)

Whether Completists or Novices or some points in-between, Compilations serve SOME purpose--me it was generally when it was ALL that I ever need(ed) to hear... :oneeye:

Dave

With regard to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, I don't care for the "greatest hits" or "best of" concept at all because I like most of the songs on all the albums.

The big hits that received most of the radio airplay may be fine for the casual listener, but those are not all I want to hear. There are many TJB songs that did not get a lot of radio airplay or become million sellers that I enjoy just as much, and dare I say, maybe even more? I like and want to hear just about every song recorded on the albums reissued. This is what I did not like about Definitive Hits. The Shout! Factory reissue project is the only way, IMO, to do justice to Herb Alpert.

For others, it is buyer beware situation, IMO.

Agreed. "Best of" albums are useful if you're not really "into" an artist but do like some of their hits.

A good example for me is the Moody Blues. As far as I'm concerned, most of their "very best" stuff has been released on compilations. I've heard a few of their studio albums and have always been disappointed in the "filler" material, so I've got a couple of their best-of sets and am very happy with them. A person who's really into them would probably find much more to love among the hits.

The first 'greatest hits' travesties seem to have begun with MGM with THE BEST OF HERMAN'S HERMITS and BEST OF THE ANIMALS, though the latter was an accidental great one, covering the cream of the Mickie Most years. The former, however--and this started a trend at MGM and other labels--had some hits but added B-sides and Lp filler, so there would be a Vol. 2 or even 3. With Sam The Sham, they really blew it: not only was the comp premature, but there never was a second, so some singles never made it to comps until much later.

Of course my idea of a comp is a well-chosen box set. Herb deserves one, doncha think? :D

:ed:

One of the ultimate travesties in the box set and "greatest hits" world has to go to our beloved A&M, when new owners PolyGram bound together Herb Alpert & The TjB's GREATEST HITS and GREATEST HITS VOLUME II and called it a Fan Box Set. They didn't even change the packaging. They just stuck the two jewel boxes back to back and shrink-wrapped them. As I recall, it was a double-priced item, so there wasn't even a break there.

It's not that the two albums together don't make a rather good retrospective of the TjB's output - they do. But if they'd either put the two discs in a new box with maybe a paragraph of liner notes and some new pictures - or combined the two discs into one (they'd fit together - 68:38 combined) then maybe it wouldn't have seemed as bad.

Harry

This AP article that started this discussion mentioned the Hilary Duff release. Well,guess what,it worked.The current #1 album is MOST WANTED,by Hilary Duff. Bringing this out in a slow week in August while every kid is doing back to school shopping was a marketing coup-can you envision Walmart and Target last week? Insult to injury,she arrives here in a few days at the Great Allentown Fair,the same venue that Herb played almost 40 years ago as shown in that grandstand photo for the back of SRO. Mac

The "Greatest Hits" concept has always been a "money for old rope" kind of thing, even back in the early 1960s with the Elvis compilations, but at least in those days if someone had a hit they could reckon that their records were being bought by literally everybody, whereas nowadays only a few hundred will get an act pretty high in some specialist chart or other. I can understand Columbia issuing an album of Dylan stuff without his consent, because in those days major acts were expected to release an LP every 6 months, which is why acts like the Dylan, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Byrds, etc were so prolific in their early years.

Anyway, nowadays it's more democratic: greatest hits are compiled by not so much by greedy music corporations, but rather by people like you & me, on iPods or PCs.

I've been dealing recently with Sony/Columbia on a jazz project and I quickly realized that in these big corporations there are so few people left who know much about the music from even 20 years ago, let along 40 – they are basically either dead or out of the business. There's so much stuff filed away that the current minions simply have no knowledge or interest about.

Yet now could be a better time for niche stuff like the 60s A&M catalogue, but it's up to people like us, with an interest in music from this period, to remind the music business that they have valuable & marketable archives of material that should be resurrected.

Nowadays in the age of online data transfer the limitaions of production (the costs of pressing vinyl, making CDs, distributing physical objects to stores) don't necessarily apply.

The big problem for oldies fans is the obvious one: Herb's entire Shout! reissue sales this year might be lucky to sell as much as some current stars sell during the day of release(just speculating)....we don't realize, often, what a minority we've become. Most folks may dig oldies, but not enough to clamor for the titles and artists they want. Wish they would, but sometimes I feel very alone(except around places like this!)

:ed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom