• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Aria Alpert's movie (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Last summer/fall, the Captain here discovered a movie running on Showtime that had Aria Alpert in the credits and Lani Hall's "Mas Que Nada" used in it. Upon further research, I uncovered that the film was called Things Behind The Sun, directed by Allison Anders.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0245501

The movie was finally released to the public on DVD this past spring (April 8th), this time with running commentary and interviews on the disc. Allison Anders' commentary explained a few things regarding the Alperts' participation. Apparently it all happened rather suddenly toward the end of the filming process. After one actress bowed out, Aria Alpert was hired from New York to complete the scene (near the beginning of the movie). One of Allison Anders' expressions was that she was having a "Mas Que Nada" moment - which as she described it was a bright Florida day, sun shine streaming through palm trees, having grown up in Florida and her parents listened to the old Sergio Mendes record a lot. Apparently Aria heard the expression, and confirmed to Ms. Anders that Lani Hall and Herb Alpert were her parents and that they had a newly recorded slow version of the song. Much legal wranglings then ensued as the filmmakers tried to obtain the rights to the recording to be used in the movie. It came down to the wire, as they were about to pick a substitute, but ultimately, the necessary permissions were obtained. That would explain the 'thank you' credit at the end to Lani & Herb.

Harry
NP: radio at work

If I recall,this was done on a tight budget(digital cameras) and I believe it was either made for pay cable or was released there first,so money plays a big part but you would think that outside of money whoever has the legal rights to this song would be tripping over themselves to get a little exposure. I haven't see Steven Sonnenberg knocking at the door to use it. And Allison Anders reputation with music in films is a trademark of her work(Grace of My Heart,Sugar Town)-if she has a feeling for a piece of music,I'd make sure she gets the right one. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom