• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

ATGB SINGLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Was or is there an intention to release a single off ATGB? It almost seems to me that the RAINY DAYS/SUPERSTAR medley is so exquisetly remastered that it would play beautifully on adult/contemporary stations. Introducing a whole new generation to the legacy. What single's do you guys think would play?

Jeff

Do you mean for the USA?
There was a single in August 2002 in Japan.
It was "The Rainbow Connection". It had tracks
1.The Rainbow Connection
2.Leave Yesterday Behind
3. Superstar / Rainy Days and Mondays (Medley)

Here's the picture:
http://thecarpenters.freewebspace.com/images/rcc.jpg

Hope this helps!

A single from "As Time Goes By"?(I'm almost laughing).To those that are unaware,"As Time Goes By" is basically a duet standards album with Ella Fitzgerald,Perry Como,and Nelson Riddle.Nothing Top 40 here,nothing even close to Top 40.

I don't think I can be quite as charming as Mr. J. usually is...but, the medley is adult contemporary radio ready. It plays as if new and it shines. Those songs combined are like peas and carrots. Remember how they burned up the charts 33 years ago? Who better to re-introduce a song to a generation than the original artist? Re-makes, re-makes , re-makes. Who needs it? Karen is still able to carry the airwaves! Anyway, I was just thinking some kind of hype or radio blurb or something to sell the thing. It occured to me that...not top 40 stations...but AC could provide the format for Miss Carpenter to present herself in.

Now I feel better,

Jeff

JEFF-I can understand your point about programming a single for "Adult Contemporary",but the problem is,AC today is not the same as AC was 30 years ago.In the 70's,AC was the equivalent of "Easy-listening".Today,AC is a genre for "Top 40 ballads"(like Mariah Carey,Gloria Estefan,Whitney Houston,etc).Karen doesn't fit in to this current AC format.As it stands,AC stations won't even play K&R's classic material.I agree that the "Superstar/Rainy Days" medley is very well-done,but it's not "single" material.As with the bulk of "AS Time Goes By","Superstar/Rainy Days" is a track more suitable for a Torch/Standards type station.

If there's no room for Carpenters to play on the radio, why don't they try to use it for a tv show theme song? I don't know what shows are playing right now and whether such shows as match Carpenters music exist in the States. But for example, I remember Billy Vera and the Beaters having a big hit with At This Moment for a show called...? Oh, years ago.
Anybody remember?
Well, over here in Japan, Carpenters had their biggest hit in the same way for a show called Miseinen, the minors, and they were the 2nd successful act following Simon and Garfunkel with a hit song A Hazy Shade Of Winter. This year Queen had a big hit with I Was Born To Love You reaching 1.2 million copies sales already.

We don't have as many radio stations in Japan as in the US and the people enjoy watching TV very much so all the labels here can't ignore this element. They even enjoy watching 24 or Sex and The City.
I don't think Carpenters music is suitable for the latter, though.
My fave was Ally McBeal. KC and RC could have appeared in the show!
Even Barry Manilow made it.

Karen-wise, I guess I still carry a torch for the '70s. You know, it was those songs of love that I would sing to then thing? It's Phoenix Rising Phenomena.

Jeff

USA singles are non-existent -when over in LA March 2003 ....shocked at how few are now available :shock:

As for ATGB singles .....so many are available ....either of Karen's Magic Lamp tracks ....both great versions or Dancing that was considered as a possible single in 1978 ....plus TV Special film video is easily available for cable / network music shows :)

Personal 3 favourites :

Leave ..... / Rainbow .....or wonderful And When He Smiles .....great vocal , instrumental play and playfulness as befits early Carpenters releases :cool:

Certainly any of above ....should be singles in UK / Europe and with success ....could be issued (reissued in Japan) worldwide .... :D

Peter....Singles Picker.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom