Audiophile CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

What are Audiophile CDs?

Are they close to SACD or DVD-A?

I really can't ask anymore questions because I have no clue of the difference between Audiophile and regular CDs?

So-called "Audiophile" CDs are often gold plated. No, not the discs: when CDs are made, the "pits" are molded into plastic, and then a metallic layer is sprayed onto the pits to make them reflective. Normally it is aluminum, but gold is a little more reflective and not as prone to read errors in the player.

That's not the whole story though: audiophile CDs are usually mastered better than mass-market CDs. They will go back to original two-track masters, and record them straight to digital without any processors in the stream (no compression, no EQ, no noise reduction). DCC and Mobile Fidelity are two of the best known, although some later Mobile Fidelity discs had a "smiley face" EQ applied to them and have boosted highs and lows. (In collector-speak, the US-made UD-II, or Ultradisc II, CDs were prone to this; earlier UD-I CDs were usually flat transfers.)

Good sounding recordings need not be on audiophile labels either: Steve Hoffman did most of the DCC catalog, and also did work for other labels. If you ever come across anything like the "From The Original Master Tapes" discs on MCA by Bill Haley & The Comets or Buddy Holly, you would be amazed at how good those 50's masters sound--they were straight transfers to digital, and even though they were some of the first CDs MCA released in the mid 80's, they still sound better than most other compilations that followed.

The whole key to "audiophile" releases, on LP or CD, is how true the product we buy is to the tapes used to produce it with. The audiophile releases take that little extra care to make a better-sounding end product.

No clue there--someone who knows Carpenters might know more about this release. Can't

Well I asked Harry before I bought it to make sure it was a legit release. He told me that he was sure that it was official. I think it is identical to the Japanese regular release of Gold.

I got one of those tacky pink slips to go to the post office and pick it up. The postmaster does not get back until 7 and the close at 5. So I will have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up. TACKY!

raz42289 said:
I got one of those tacky pink slips to go to the post office and pick it up. The postmaster does not get back until 7 and the close at 5. So I will have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up. TACKY!

Standard fare. You can call the PO in the morning and have them deliver it - providing you're going to be home. Have the peach slip (not pink) signed and ready to go. Sounds like there's a return receipt on the parcel itself which will need to be signed.

Capt. Bacardi
...resident postal worker online - and fully armed... :o :o :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom