I'm learning keyboard, but I keep failing to prepare for my lessons. How do I turn this around?

kibod67366

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I think synthesizers are super cool and I want to learn how to physically play one. As such, I'm paying for keyboard lessons with a teacher. The thing is, I've been failing to prepare for my lessons for many weeks now. Months, even. And these lessons are expensive. Every time I come in we just end up talking about random stuff because I didn't prepare anything. He'd ask for a song I want to learn for next time and I think of one. Then once I'm home, I pretty much immediately lose interest in the song I chose.

I don't know if I just don't want to do the work, or if I don't like the instrument enough, or if I don't like that particular song I chose after all. Maybe I just like the IDEA of playing keyboard, or maybe I have an undiagnosed case of ADHD.

All I know is that whenever I do try to sit down and learn something, I tend to get overwhelmed and very annoyed when I see how difficult or boring a piece actually is (Synthesia tutorials on YouTube really don't help in that regard). I make a poor attempt at playing and give up within five minutes or so.

I've thought about dropping keyboard, but I also don't want to. I think it's a fascinating instrument and I'm already so familiar with its layout. I know all the notes and I can already play all the major (and some minor) scales with a metronome set at 200 BPM fairly easily. I can also play quite a few synth riffs and I just think it's so fundamental to learn for any musician.

I strongly suspect it's the material that I have (choose) to learn. I'd actually practice scales and chords vigorously whenever I got those as assigned homework. But I feel like they're different from playing actual pieces, which is my goal. Should I go back to practicing scales and all that? Will that be enough to be able to play rather complex pieces? Do I need to suck it up or go back to those ''piano lessons for adults'' books? I really have no clue anymore.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Back
Top Bottom