August 2023 In Memoriam

My first experience with Mr. Friedkin's work was with THE EXORCIST. At the time of its release, it was one of those water-cooler discussion films among those who'd seen it, and it put the film at the top of the list of must-sees for the rest of us.

I was a young twenty-something, still unattached and living at home when some friends and I managed to get tickets to a late showing on a Friday night, probably something like 10:15pm or 10:30pm. Even though we arrived at the theater in plenty of time, the only seats available together were in the second row. Big screen, second row, EXORCIST. Yah.

Well it scared the hell out of me, and lucky me, I got to go home alone as the parents were at the summer cabin some 90 minutes away. The lonely house got to me after seeing that movie and off I drove through the countryside to the cabin. All I could find on the radio was eerie organ music! Unforgettable experience, still, to this day.

Next up was a showing on HBO back in the early 80s of SORCERER. Knowing it was from Friedkin, I was a bit hesitant to watch it, and found it rather confusing as a story. The prints I've seen since all have location subtitles at the start, but this print on HBO did not, so I couldn't tell that the initial shooter and the bombers weren't all in the same place. Repeated viewings of that old HBO tape made me a fan of the film and I later bought it on a 4:3 LaserDisc and the initial 4:3 DVD. Bother were pretty bad in the video department. The recent Blu-ray was a revelation in terms of color and composition and the movie was better than ever. I bought both the Digibook and the stand-alone Blu-ray. Heck. I think I even bought a remastered DVD of it too!

Sometime in the 90s, we were in a video store that specialized in LaserDiscs, going out of business and selling former rental discs cheap. We picked up a FRENCH CONNECTION on the basis of familiarity with at least the title and reputation of the movie. When it came time to watch it, I was largely unimpressed on that first viewing. But like Friedkin's other films it stayed with me and ultimately I actually did a transfer of that LaserDisc onto a DVD. Unsatisfied with that effort, I went out and bough the later Blu-ray after Friedkin fixed the color palette.

RIP, Mr. Friedkin, and thanks for the great work.

Singer David LaFlamme of rock group It's A Beautiful Day 1969 song "White Bird" has died at 82 years old. David LaFlamme - Wikipedia
Back in 1969/70, White Bird was getting a lot of airplay here. The album was hard to find though and I got a copy from a friend and even she had no idea where it came from as it was her husband's and he had no idea how he ended up with it. I no longer have that copy but when I found the CD I bought it. It still sounds timeless.

I think they were a victim of a record company that folded, so no more copies were printed after it was first released. People asked for it all the time, not finding it anywhere. The same thing happened to Heart when Mushroom Records folded after their 2nd release. No more Heart albums for awhile. Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds, same deal when their label folded, and the one I could never get back in stock was Jorge Santana & Tierra records. They all went out of print, or legal problems kept them in limbo for years.

I think they were a victim of a record company that folded, so no more copies were printed after it was first released. People asked for it all the time, not finding it anywhere. The same thing happened to Heart when Mushroom Records folded after their 2nd release. No more Heart albums for awhile. Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds, same deal when their label folded, and the one I could never get back in stock was Jorge Santana & Tierra records. They all went out of print, or legal problems kept them in limbo for years.
They were part of Columbia Records and had additional albums but there were conflicts in the group so there were personnel changes.
I did see a comment on Amazon that the re-releases are privately owned and the artist did not get any royalties.

Back
Top Bottom