• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band/Four Sider

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAWER L

I just picked up the Baja's "Four Sider"-My question is:is there anything unusual on this LP? Different mixes? Non-LP tracks? Edits?

The only thing different is that the song "Brasilia" is listed on the LP, but they really put the song "Summer Samba" on the vinyl... Otherwise everythingis the LP versions, straight from the LPs.

--Mr Bill

That confused me for the longest time. I acquired the FOURSIDER from the BMB back in a purge of older MOR material from a radio station, and it sat in my record collection for years before I started listening to any BMB stuff, thanks to raves from the Corner. As one of the few albums I owned, I couldn't figure out why the song was called "Brasilia" and yet sounded like the old "Summer Samba" song that I'd heard others do.

Finally I realized it was a mistake, and one that leaves me in a quandry. If I were to "recreate" the FOURSIDER by doing a needle-drop, should I substitute "Brasilia" where it's labeled to be? Was that the original compilers' intention, but the masterers put in the wrong track? Or was "Summer Samba" indeed the intended song, somehow mislabeled on the packaging?

Harry
...enquiring minds want to know, online...

I've always wondered about the bad luck that has befallen the song "Brasilia." It was highly thought-of enough that they used the "big type" on the RIDES AGAIN album to list it, and it was recorded around the same time by Herb Alpert. But the song seems to be cursed....Herb's version has been "downsized" on all its CD releases, the BMB FOURSIDER album has it listed but not actually included, and the BMB CD releases completely overlook it. If "Brasilia" was a kid, it'd be underpriveleged. :wink:

In answer to Harry, I think I would include both songs on a home brew BMB comp. Summer Samba is a very good song, but Brazilia is a jinxed classic. Mike B wrote: "But the song seems to be cursed....If "Brasilia" was a kid, it'd be underpriveleged." And Mike fails to mention my favorite version which was issued on a single, which is a totally different recording. There probably are not too many songs that were blessed with so many A&M recording sessions , so apparently Herb and Julius thought it was a hit.
It is in my book.
TallPaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom