• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bambu = The Crab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
Just got A Bad Donato today and, not having heard it for a long time, was surprised to hear that Track 3, Bambu, is, while maybe not exactly the same as The Crab (at least the opening lines), it's close enough that if Joao hadn't written both of them, he could sue for plagiarism. :tongue:

Also, it turns out the Edu CD I mentioned has bonus tracks!

Is The Crab the b-side to the much sought-after 45 Pais tropical? I'd love to het my pincers on that. I know neither the Brasil 77 version nor the original...

Chris Martin said:
Is "The Crab" the B-side to the much sought-after "Pais Tropical" '45' ?

Actually "The Crab" is the most sought-after B-Side to the "Pais Tropical" '45'...

I sure have never heard it either. The Donato LP sounds familiar, though; I might have owned IT or SOMETHING by him at one time--I'm trying to remember...

Dave

The Crab was actually its own 45, not related to Pais Tropical (or maybe I'm not understanding you guys). It was the last single Brasil '77 recorded for A&M and it never made an album. It was released as a bonus track on the import CD of Primal Roots that came out a couple of years ago.

It's a fun track, but to my ears it should have included in the PAIS TROPICAL reissue instead of the PRIMAL ROOTS one. It sounds like an outtake from the PAIS album.

No matter though, it's a fun track to listen to.

I always wondered which album "The Crab" would have come from. I mean, it doesn't really sound like the rest of PAIS TROPICAL or anything from PRIMAL ROOTS.

Also, it doesn't sound like Karen or Geri singing with Gracinha. Although, if I had to choose between the two combinations, I'd go with Geri...definitely not Karen. Then again, it could be a double-tracked Gracinha.

Never really sounded like and outtake from anything to me. I wonder if it could have been the start of a project that never got off the ground before Sergio left the label? Then again, it could be something like "Magic Wheels," except "The Crab" became a single of its own.

Whatever the case, it's a fun song all the same.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom