• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Beamer Brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and its very strange to hear a man with a bass voice singing the song after hearing Karen do it a million times :)

The Carpenters version is pretty much faithful to the original arrangement, except as expected, there is a much lusher feel to the C's version, its just more 'finished'!

As with many songs already recorded by other artists (Its Going To Take Some Time being a case in point), the C's version usually makes the original sound like the demo that might have been pitched to Richard!

Same with Alabama's version of Touch Me When We're Dancing, which is cringeworthy!!

Stephen

PS If anyone wants a copy of these please PM me cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002XVX/002-1233992-9260803?v=glance

Just click and take a listen to it.

I bought another compilation including this song to find out how different the Carpenters version was from the brothers'.
To me, the atmosphere that both versions have is quite similar.
This song became the final Carpenters single on 45 in Japan but it didn't catch on that much.
I started to wonder why the Beamer brothers' version became so popular and I guess it is only in Hawaii where you can actually feel attracted to the place. Since I have never been to Hawaii, it seems hard for me to imagine having nostalgia with this song.
Talking about nostalgia, John Denver's Country Roads, Take Me Home and Carpenters' Road Ode can really bring it home to me.

Funny thing you should mention the Beamer brothers and this lovely song! Yes, we've been to Hawaii (on our 25th anniv.), so the song does have special meaning for us. I do have this album on CD along with many other Keola Beamer recordings. My husband and I are very fond of Hawaiian slack key guitar. Both Karen's and their version are both enjoyable for different reasons. Karen's voice is so much nicer to listen to! But the other has the slack key guitar.

This year in Dec. we celebrate our 40th anniversary and just might end up in Hawaii. Last time we were there, we got food poisoning and had to cancel out the last island, which was the big island itself.

Marilyn,
with pleasant memories and looking forward!

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~oken/carpentershihoukan.html

click 1979-1987 for singles

The U.S. pic sleeve shows a jungle(why's that!) and a big red logo? while the Japanese one, KC & RC. I wish they were more appealing to me.

Marilyn, have a happy celebration! :love:
I'd like to visit the tropical island someday and it would make my day if I hear Carpenters playing Honolulu City Lights in spite of Beamer's original.

I think of more connection between Captain & Tennille and the islands because their greatest hits and Dream album photos show them enjoying Hawaiian nature and also they were doing shows there. I hear they are performing in Las Vegas and they are running a funny tv ad in which the couple appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom