Big Brother & The Holding Co. @ Sudsy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Early this morning I returned from Cincinnati, where the late Janis Joplin's band performed at a well-known combination concert venue and laundramat yesterday evening.
Sudsy Malone's, located near the Univ. of Cincinnati campus, offers free admission to anyone with 2 baskets of clothes. Had I known this, I'd have carted my wash up I-75.

Performing were original BB&HC Members Sam Andrew (guitar), Peter Albin (bass) and Dave Getz (drums), joined by younger players Josh Kessler (guitar) and Singer Andrea Michelovich. Her powerful voice enabled her to wisely and capably handle Joplin standards without resorting to imitation. There was an audience of around 60, many of whom viewed the show while sitting on washing machines or dryers.

Here's the set list:

Combination of the Two
Down on Me
I Need a Man to Love
Josh's Symphony (classical music on electric guitar)
Cool Baby
Save Your Love for Me
Call On Me
Summertime
Do What You Love
Blind Man ---- bass solo by Peter with medley consisting of "Walk Don't Run," "Hava Nagela," "Auld Lang Syne," "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," and "Jethro Tull's Bouree."

Bobby McGee
Women Is Losers
Piece of My Heart
Ball & Chain -- grand finale vocal by Andrea

A generous 14-song opener was provided by the 4-piece Richard Wood Band.

Some online contact with a friend in Lexington alerted me to this show, only one of 4 in U.S. scheduled, as most of Big Brothers' dates are in Europe. It also allowed us to carpool for part of the trip.
There was a fun social hour following the concert, where "CHEAP THRILLS" (comic strip art) T-shirts and Big Bro. CDs, old and new, were on sale. We got our stuff signed and quickly got on the road.

Since New Year's Eve-Eve was such a blast, I'm resting at home tonight.
Hope all of you have a happy one.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom