• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BILLBOARD: Article on "ATGB" release

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Billboard online confirmed the release of "As time goes by". Here is the article:

'Time' Is Right For Carpenters Rarities

A&M/UME has set an April 13 release date for the Carpenters rarities collection "As Time Goes By," featuring 11 tracks previously unreleased in the United States. The set was assembled with the assistance of Richard Carpenter, who contributes notes for each track and a general project overview. Among the highlights are a cover of the Beatles' "Nowhere Man" and a humorous medley of the themes from "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Also featured on "As Time Goes By" is a duet medley between the late Karen Carpenter and Ella Fitzgerald on such favorites as the title cut, "Someone To Watch Over Me," "My Funny Valentine" and "I'll Be Seeing You." In the same vein is a Carpenters medley with Perry Como on such cuts as "We've Only Just Begun," "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes," "Close to You" and "Sing."

The album is rounded out by "Hits Medley '76," featuring "Ticket To Ride," "For All We Know" and "Goodbye To Love"; a cover of Martha & the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street"; a medley comprised of "I Got Rhythm," "'S Wonderful," "Rhapsody in Blue" and "Fascinating Rhythm" and a cover of the Mamas & the Papas' "California Dreamin'."

The 35th anniversary edition of the Carpenters' "Gold" recently debuted at No. 119 on The Billboard 200, marking the group's first appearance on the chart in nearly six years.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Thanks Jeff. It's always nice to see the trade magazines acknowledge Carpenters.

Harry
NP: radio at work

hmmm.. The Japanese version of "ATGB" features 14 tracks. Yet, the press release for the U.S. version states only 11. I wonder what cuts are missing? Here is the Japanese track lineup:

1. Without A Song / Carpenters
2. Rainy Medley / Carpenters
3. Nowhere Man / Carpenters
4. I Got Rhythm / Carpenters
5. Dancing In The Street / Carpenters
6. Dizzy Fingers / Carpenters
7. You're Just In Love / Carpenters

8. Karen/Ella Medley / Carpenters (FT Ella Fitzgerald
9. Close/Wars Medley / Carpenters
10. Leave Yesterday Behind / Carpenters
11. Como/Carpenter Medley / Carpenters
12. California Dreaming / Carpenters
13. Rainbow Connection / Carpenters
14. Hits Medley (Includes Hidden Tracks) / Carpenters

The Billboard© article mentions 11 tracks "previously unreleased in the United States.

As of now, four of the fifteen HAVE been released in the States:

Karen/Ella Medley on the ESSENTIAL box set

Rainbow Connection-------\
California Dreaming----------> all on GOLD
Leave Yesterday Behind--/

So, perhaps that's the confusion.

Harry
NP: radio at work

AS TIME GOES BY track listing from CD Universe:

1. Without A Song
2. Superstar / Rainy Days And Mondays
3. Nowhere Man
4. I Got Rhythm Medley: I Got Rhythm / 'S Wonderful / Rhapsody In Blue / Fascinating Rhythm
5. Dancing In The Street
6. Dizzy Fingers
7. You're Just In Love
8. Karen/Ella Medley: This Masquerade / My Funny Valentine / I'll Be Seeing You / Someone To Watch O...
9. Close Encounters/Star Wars Medley: Close Encounters / Star Wars
10. Leave Yesterday Behind
11. Carpenters/Como Medley: Yesterday Once More / Magic Moments / Sing / Catch A Falling Star / Close...
12. California Dreamin'
13. Rainbow Connection, The
14. Hits Medley '76: Sing / Close To You / For All We Know / Ticket To Ride / Only Yesterday / I Won'...
15. And When He Smiles

Notes
Personnel includes: The Carpenters, Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como, John Davidson

Looks almost exactly like the Japanese release, except for the note about personnel including John Davidson. Could that be a mistake, or did perhaps Richard use the TV version of "Without a Song" or "You're Just In Love" ???

Also, it looks like "And When He Smiles" gets its own track this time...

David

David, your right, TowerRecords.com also has the track listing & they have John Davidson's name also appears. I wonder if they are using his vocals instead of Richard's, maybe Richard couldn't get the rights to use John's for Japan release but ok'd for US? Still I much prefer to hear Richard's vocals than John. Yes, they don't say bonus song, so poss #15 is not a buried track like on Japan version.

...still debating over buying this US release.

I enjoy John Davidson's vocals on "You're Just in Love". Now if only we'd get he and Karen's duet on "Old Fashioned Way"- one of my all time favorites period.

Mark

Gee, maybe the holdup all along was John Davidson WANTING to be on a Carpenters record, but had been eliminated by Richard!

Harry
...more curious about the US AS TIME GOES BY, online...

I must get a copy of it if there's a different take available on the release.
But John Davidson? How popular was he then?
He was young and got the looks? Maybe. But to me as far as his singing is concerned, I'd rather hear Andy Williams.
Maybe I need to get used to hearing his vocals so I'd have a change of mind about him.

If Richard took away his singing from that medley, then I wish he'd replaced Como's original takes.
I like Richard's vocals on this
but knowing Mr. Como did his version, I just want to have it in my collection.

Personally, I'd go for Comin' thro' the rye/Good vibrations medley more than And when He Smiles for a bonus track.

350hunny said:
Personally, I'd go for Comin' thro' the rye/Good vibrations medley more than And when He Smiles for a bonus track.

I wouldn't replace And When He Smiles, that track is a great one that showcases Karen younger voice, even though the lyrics are hokey at this day & age, Karen's vocal on that track is amazing.

I do agree with you that I'd really like to finally get Karen/John Denver medley in digital format, Wonder if Richard can't get clearance for John Denver's vocal, could be why we have never seen it surface. Would have been a great addition to this CD. I'd say delete the Star Wars Medley & put Karen/John Denver that would be cool.

...wishing for things that won't happen, online....

This is true.
I have had the oppurtunity of meeting John Davidson. We were cruising Alaska and he was performing one night. The next day he was sitting in the lounge and I walked over and started talking to him. We talked for about 30 minutes and we even talked about Karen! That was about a year ago so I don't really remember what he said.

Hi, Chris. I can't say I don't like And When He Smiles. But considering Richard's criteria for the best song:song,lyric, arrangement, orchestration and vocal performance, as you pointed out, the lyrics aren't so appealing and also that long instrumentation without Karen singing seems as unnecessary as you feel Close Encounter/Starwars performance should be deleted.

As you may know, this song was originally performed for a tv special and I have seen it before, it would be better to be released not on cd but on DVD so you can fully enjoy it aurally and visually. For the same reason, Starwars medley should be included on DVD.

Hi, Andrew. What was your impression of David?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I do agree with you that I'd really like to finally get Karen/John Denver medley in digital format, Wonder if Richard can't get clearance for John Denver's vocal, could be why we have never seen it surface.

I can't imagine that Richard or A&M could have trouble getting the rights to use a track with John Denver -- RCA/BMG has been more than willing to put out unreleased John Denver material since his death, including an entire album he recorded for them in the '80s that they said at the time wasn't good enough for release.

Personally, I suspect that the Karen/John Denver medley will surface on some future collection, as will the Karen/Andy Williams medley. I hold fast to the belief that an album of "Karen and Friends" could be a great new release -- Karen singing duets with John Denver, John Davidson, Suzanne Somers, Andy Williams, Kristy McNichol, Richard Carpenter, Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como, etc. Richard could even turn some of the imcomplete lead vocals in the vaults into duets with other singers...

David
...Wishing again...

Now that's what I'm most interested in! Karen & friends. I'd really like that. Thinking of that gives me goose bumps.

Talking about a duet, it reminds me of Dionne Warwick, who is a talented singer but has never had a #1 hit on her own. Then Came You was her #1 hit with the Spinners. That's What Friends Are For was also a #1 hit joined by Elton, Stevie and Gladys. Not only on such songs but on other great songs like Love Power with Jeffery Osborn, Run To Me with Barry Manilow, did her existence really make the songs more powerful and convincing and made great contrasts with each singing partner.

Karen, who is a unique singer as well, will make those unreleased duets something special and I can't wait to hear them.

If possible, as Siedah Garrett joined in the posthumous recording of Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night, Richard could invite his favorite artist to perform to Karen's work leads to songs that he and Karen would have completed.
I thought it could have been done so if Rainbow Connection had been unfinished because of imcomplete Karen's lead. As you know, the lead was there actually though it was said to be WORK lead :o
Before As Time Goes By was released, I had already imagined that it would be like another cover duet by Kenny Longgins and Patty Austin.

Richad himself did this method making up for what was lost in Mr. Como's leads in his medley. So there's nothing wrong with it. :wink:

Karen & Friends!!!

What an excellent title. Richard do you hear this????

:D

David also another excellent idea, Richard could finish the unfinished tracks of partial Karen with artists of today. Would that get on the charts today? Or airplay, Oh Yes!!!! Say for instance, Karen & Josh Groban duet? I just heard Josh on the radio the other day with his latest song.

Another great idea. What a marketing idea that could be.

The Karen and Freinds album sounds
like a great idea.
As far as the vault material, has
anyone heard any of the material
from it? I have seen the list
and some of the titles are so
interestig. It would be nice if
some workleads could be completed.
With help from Siedah, Carolyn or
even Akiko, who knows, any thoughts?

Also wishing Jim

Hey Hey,

I really believe if Richard chose to do a "karen and Friends" album; It would most likely be titled "CarpenterS and Friends". Remember Richard is quite particular when it comes to acknowledging his arrangments and such.

price comparison

towerrecords Your Price: $11.24

List Price: $14.99
You save $3.75 (25%)

cd universe Your Price: $10.13

Status Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, April 13, 2004
List Price $12.98
(You save $2.85)

any other competitive prices elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back