• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Box Set Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvakman

I am considering purchasing a Carpenters Box Set, but there is a lot of product out there and I could use some guidance. What would Carpenters experts recommend in terms of song selection, sound quality, mixes used and overall package? Your advice is appreciated.

If you're looking for a box set that features rarities, then either FROM THE TOP or ESSENTIAL COLLECTION are really good. They are nearly identical in terms of the rarities presented, but ESSENTIAL COLLECTION goes farther with the inclusion of the hits, many in their original mixes. Both are out of print but if you can find a good deal, I'd recommend ESSENTIAL COLLECTION for its sterling sound quality.

If you're looking for authentic packaging, you can't go wrong with the Japanese 30th or 35th anniversary sets. Both feature authentic mini-LP packaging, but I think the 35th is slightly larger - including Christmas albums, maybe? I have the 35th, not the 30th. Both sets feature the Remastered Classic masterings of the albums.

Quicky box sets?: The Netherlands CARPENTERS COLLECTED gives you all of the original album mixes for all of the a-sides to the singles. The newest Public Broadcasting set COMPLETE SINGLES (only available for a donation to Public TV) has all of the original single mixes, a- and b- sides. And there's the old CHRONICLES set, which is a three-album set issued in the States, featuring their three most essential albums: CLOSE TO YOU, CARPENTERS, and A SONG FOR YOU.

Another semi-rare box set from Japan was the mail-order set SWEET MEMORY. A six disc set with songs from all of the studio albums arranged loosely in themes.

Then there's the older sets like READER'S DIGEST, ANTHOLOGY, MAGICAL MEMORIES, some of which include some interesting live stuff.

Harry

I guess I'd prioritize this way:

1. Original Mixes
2. Sound Quality
3. Package (nice notes or book?)
4. Comprehensiveness (doesn't have to include everything... I like the first four albums best)
5. Rarities (also less important to me)

With that in mind, which of the above would you recommend?

I guess I'd prioritize this way:

1. Original Mixes
2. Sound Quality
3. Package (nice notes or book?)
4. Comprehensiveness (doesn't have to include everything... I like the first four albums best)
5. Rarities (also less important to me)

With that in mind, which of the above would you recommend?

To piggyback on what @Harry said, if you're truly looking for a complete *box* set, with original mixes as the number one, the 30th or 35th Anniversary collectors edition sets are at the top of the list in my opinion. Only issue with those is the price nowadays. I believe roughly 2,000 copies were released on the 30th set in '99, followed by around 2,300 of the 35th in '04 - which means they're scarce and VERY pricey. I really agree with Harry that the Essential Collection has a nice variety including many rarities, however also features many of the original mixes. That box set is still pretty reasonable on Amazon and several of the other online retailers.

**One additional note to the 35th Anniversary set: This one also includes the two Christmas albums, handkerchief (embroidered) and updated liner notes that the 30th set does not include.

The 30th has the embroidered handkerchief, also.
I would be most interested in comparing the Liner Notes between the 30th and 35th Sets (as, I do not have the Later.).
Any 'new' information contained in those 'updated' Notes?

As I don't have the 30th, we'd have a tough time comparing. Maybe we'll have to arrange a meet-up someday as we're both in Central Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom