• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil 2002 Bimbo's Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
What can I say? It just gets better and better...Mendes-wise, that is! The Bimbo's performance was, for lack of a better word, sensational. Big-time Jobim influence in Sergio's choice of songs and the way they were presented. Songs such as Ela e Carioca, Desafinado and snippets from Dance Moderno dominated the show. His vocalists were out of this world--Jessica Taylor moved and sung her heart out, while Dawn Bishop, a new African American vocalist, harmonized like a bird...and with Kevyn Lettau back to round up the vocalists, it was such a treat to see her there. As always, she was (and is) incredible.

Sergio opened the show with Pretty World, Balafon (in Portuguese) and Desafinado. Not to mention Ela e Carioca! After five songs and some really interesting transitions, Sergio welcomed all to the festivities at hand. He talked of his love for San Francisco, his days with Bossa Rio (his original instrumental band), El Matador and Brasil '65, his love of Jobim. With that, the band took off on a musical tour that included Waters Of March and Lapinha. Incredible!

Bimbo's is a great venue--small and intimate--just the size for an evening of Brasilian grooves. The percussion segment was different than any I've heard. It was musical and (pardon the pun) upbeat in every way.

As an added bonus, Joe Pizzulo made an appearance and sung Bridges from Sergio's Brasil '88 Lp, as well as Never Gonna Let You Go with Kevyn Lettau.

Bottom line...best description of this event...Jubilant!

Best of all, we ran into Brandon Bergeron, who was gracious enough to save a table near the front. The three of us (my Mom, Brandon and myself) had a great time...matter of fact, the entire audience had a ball. Suffice to say, this is a happier, upbeat Sergio Mendes. He sounds better than ever. Let's hope that 2003 will yield a CD of equally jubliant sounds.

Ah...Brasil 2003...has a nice ring, doesn't it?

Jon...the Brasil Nut

A live recording of one of these gigs would even make a good CD, especially with the updated "memory lane" sounds he was going after. Wish I could have been there! (Be sure to stop into Kevyn's site, too--she'd love to hear from you! http://www.kevynlettau.com )

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom