• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brazilian Love Affair

Do you own George Duke's "Brazilian Love Affair" album?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
dear Brazilian Music Lovers.

I own this wonderful record, as well on vinyl and on CD.
Nice moments with Milton Nascimento singing Cravo e Canela and wonderful performance by George Duke and among others, Airto Moreiro and Roberthino da Silva.

All the best , Aqua do Brasil

I've been "infected" with this LP since about 1980. (I bought it just after Duke's later album Dream On came out, so I'd bought it a couple of years after he recorded it.) Despite George Duke's name being on it, it is, as mentioned above, an all-star Brazilian album. After Duke had his success with "Reach For It", the label was more receptive to his ideas. He'd become infatuated with the music of Brazil, and when he said he wanted to record an album there, the label gave him the go-ahead.

IMHO, this album is what Mendes should have sounded like in the 80's! It's very close to the Mendes sound, even in the vocals, blending equal parts of Brazilian, jazz and funk into a tasty mix. Or better yet, the jazz/funk ingredients are the icing on the Brazilian cake! It has none of that awkward, uncomfortable feeling I get with all of Mendes' post-A&M recordings. I'll come right out and say that if you like any of the 80's Mendes recordings, you'll love this one! It's still a decent seller, and I'm surprised more of our fellow A&M'ers haven't caught onto it yet.

Still in print, too...CDNow has it listed for $9.99.

00045711.jpg

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom