• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bruce Forsyth, king of UK gameshows, dies aged 89.

goodjeans

Bruce Forsyth, king of UK gameshows, dies aged 89
Forsyth, known as host of Play Your Cards Right, Strictly Come Dancing and The Generation Game has died.

He sounds like the "Bill Cullen" of British TV, RIP. Of course he will always be endeared to Carps fans for having Karen on his show in 1978. They had some good comedy bits interacting and of course Karen singing was superb.

He was a "one off" , there will never be another Bruice! They "broke the mould" as we say here in Yorkshire! I watched a clip on youtube of Karen on his show Big Night in '78 where Karen sings Postman, I Need to be in Love and Merry Christmas Darling. At the end they sang a duet of Christmas Songs but I've never been able to find the "duet" part of the performance.
I would love to see that part again if anyone has a link?

I believe that Karen was right in to the comedy of the show and developed a rapport with BC. I don't believe she was the least bit 'creeped out' by him, as somebody suggested a while ago.

His sort of persona is an oft-repeated caricature in British comedy. It's not considered creepy, (by most). :)

I believe that Karen was right in to the comedy of the show and developed a rapport with BC. I don't believe she was the least bit 'creeped out' by him, as somebody suggested a while ago.

His sort of persona is an oft-repeated caricature in British comedy. It's not considered creepy, (by most). :)
I agree. Her humor worked well with BF and created a balanced humor almost as if it was pre-written for a comedy show. They both set up each other for laughs. And she was great on that show. The singing was impeccable

I don’t know for sure but it felt to me as if she went on the show to hold the team together for Richard, since he was ill, as Richard did when he went to England to explain why they postponed the winter 75 tour due to Karen being ill. They were just a close knit family. That was how I interpreted it. I believe it was in Randy’s book where Karen was quoted that she always tried her best for Richard.

I don’t know for sure but it felt to me as if she went on the show to hold the team together for Richard, since he was ill, as Richard did when he went to England to explain why they postponed the winter 75 tour due to Karen being ill. They were just a close knit family. That was how I interpreted it. I believe it was in Randy’s book where Karen was quoted that she always tried her best for Richard.
One of the books put it across that Karen didn't want to let an opportunity slip by. Their album was at the top of the charts and she was going to promote it, with Richard or without him.

Btw, earlier I meant BF, not BC. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom