Byrds & Farmers

JOv2

...Following up on Bones & More Bones, while addressing the trombone gap I discovered that my holdings of late-50s trumpet-centric sessions was inadequate, so...

Here we have trumpet CDs from roughly 1955-61. Overall, the 1950s jazz scene emphasized a more traditionally melodic approach to both melody and improvisation relative to what would evolve in the '60s.

(As was the case with Bones & More Bones, most of these CDs were purchased from the EU and Japan and all were surprisingly affordable (< $20); all were M/NM; the Japanese were VG (given Japanese VG = US NM). Those devoid of cover art are Qobuz downloads of costly (> $30) CDs.)

The artists include:
-Clifford Brown: Probably the most technically gifted trumpeter of his day.
-Donald Byrd: In the late-'50s/early-'60s Byrd possessed both a beautifully metallic timbre and tuneful lyricism.
-Art Farmer: Art may very well be the best of the best (also picked a few of his '60s releases).
-Kenny Dorham: KD has his signature distinctive tone, which complements his singular improvisational approach.
-Joe Gordon: West coast cat of whom I know very little. His overall approach to the horn is appealing.
-Carmell Jones: These are my first CDs of Carmell; so I look forward to studying his trumpet playing.
-Thad Jones: Thad is my favourite of this group of artists. He's technically gifted and melodically creative to the nth degree. (I also picked up some of this '60s CDs with Mel Lewis.)
-Blue Mitchell: Blue is my favourite '60s trumpeter; so this date was to get a feel for his pre-Blue Note period.
-Lee Morgan: These are Lee's early sessions -- when he was 17-18 years old. The youthful, spirited exuberance is compelling. (It will remain distressing how heroin adversely impacted his life starting in the '60s...)
-Richard Williams: Apparently, this was his only date as a leader...proving what goes without mentioning (...that there were probably thousands of similarly gifted and creative artists; however, most didn't have the timing, connections, and luck to sustain a career as a recording artist).
-Charles Tolliver: (Oops, grabbed this by mistake, Tolliver was a progressive '60s trumpeter.)
-Clark Terry: Regarding all around technical proficiency and creativity, Clark is with Art Farmer and Thad Jones.
-Jimmy Owens: (Oops #2, Jimmy holds company with the progressive '60s cats.)

trp - 1.jpeg

Is it just me, or do a lot of the Art Farmer album covers feature a lit cigarette? 😁

Back
Top Bottom