• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Can someone do me (and other fans) a huge favor?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee1

If any of you guys have the SWEET MEMORY set in your possession, can someone pretty, pretty please upload the remixed "ANOTHER SONG" on YouTube? I would love to buy the set, but a $600 price tag is keeping me at bay. I've never heard this mix, which I hear is supposed to be awesome.

I think all you have to do is burn the disc on your computer and put it in a video file. If anyone could do this I would be much appreciated!

Though I don't wish to sound like a miserly Scrooge at this time of year, most of our membership has tended to be self-reliant in finding the rare mixes, discs, tapes, etc. that exist out there. We've had a recent thread on the SWEET MEMORY set where one of our sharp-eyed members has pointed out when these sets become available on eBay. The most recent set, if I recall correctly, sold for a mere $60 or so. At that price, these discs went for around $10/disc, which is not an unreasonable price at all. I paid far more for my set when I finally found it.

Nonetheless, your request is out there and I don't speak for everyone. Perhaps someone will indeed grant you your wish. Many of us spend small fortunes amassing our collections over a lifetime, and to simply churn it out for nothing to the general public seems counter to the way we think. Personally, I HAVE shared many rarities over the years with both specific members privately and on YouTube publicly, but would have a difficult time with this request. That mix is one of the things that makes my SWEET MEMORY set special to me and to those who've also searched high and low to find it.

Also, you're a new member, so no one really yet knows who you are, what your story is, how you came to be a Carpenters fan, etc. Many of us have been on this forum for a long time, so perhaps a more gradual approach would get you what you seek.

Again, I hope this didn't come off too harsh - but that's the way I personally feel about your request.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays!

Harry

Though I don't wish to sound like a miserly Scrooge at this time of year, most of our membership has tended to be self-reliant in finding the rare mixes, discs, tapes, etc. that exist out there. We've had a recent thread on the SWEET MEMORY set where one of our sharp-eyed members has pointed out when these sets become available on eBay. The most recent set, if I recall correctly, sold for a mere $60 or so. At that price, these discs went for around $10/disc, which is not an unreasonable price at all. I paid far more for my set when I finally found it.

Nonetheless, your request is out there and I don't speak for everyone. Perhaps someone will indeed grant you your wish. Many of us spend small fortunes amassing our collections over a lifetime, and to simply churn it out for nothing to the general public seems counter to the way we think. Personally, I HAVE shared many rarities over the years with both specific members privately and on YouTube publicly, but would have a difficult time with this request. That mix is one of the things that makes my SWEET MEMORY set special to me and to those who've also searched high and low to find it.

Also, you're a new member, so no one really yet knows who you are, what your story is, how you came to be a Carpenters fan, etc. Many of us have been on this forum for a long time, so perhaps a more gradual approach would get you what you seek.

Again, I hope this didn't come off too harsh - but that's the way I personally feel about your request.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays!

Harry
Harry, I second your feeling. I avidly collect Carpenter's music and albums among others, and to just put it out there for the general public would devalue completely what I have taken the time to research, hunt for, locate and purchase. While I am not as knowledgeable as most of you guys, I listen and learn from you. Your knowledge is appreciated :)

Happy Holidays! :phones:

And please forgive me for not welcoming BeeBee1 to the Forum. Welcome!

Harry

Wow. The Antoher Song remix is THAT good? If so, I kind of "get it." Probably how I felt when, after a few years of having a cassette tape made, and given to me, by Richard himself of "Canta," it was released on From The Top. My "rarity" was no longer so (except for the physical medium Richard handed to me).

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome! And I understand where your coming from Harry and PJW, I just really wanna hear that mix! I wonder why Richard never put it on any other set. It's sort of like the rare "Road Ode" remix which is absolutely stunning, and gives so much dimension to the weaker 72 cut. Only the Road Ode mix was on YouTube and I quickly got it on my iPod. Can you guys explain what's so different about the remixed "Another Song"? It's supposed to sound amazing.

It is (and always was) about Joe's bass playing, replacing the original bass track from '69...just pure GREAT!

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome! And I understand where your coming from Harry and PJW, I just really wanna hear that mix! I wonder why Richard never put it on any other set. It's sort of like the rare "Road Ode" remix which is absolutely stunning, and gives so much dimension to the weaker 72 cut. Only the Road Ode mix was on YouTube and I quickly got it on my iPod. Can you guys explain what's so different about the remixed "Another Song"? It's supposed to sound amazing.
To be honest and with all due respect, I don’t understand why fellow fans wouldn’t be willing to share the music with others, especially when it’s nearly impossible to find. I mean, c’mon, it’s not like anybody can just go out to our local record store and pick up a copy of “Sweet Memory.” If I could, I would. And while I admire folks’ work in getting those rare sets, sometimes it’s just not possible to acquire them. I’ve saved my pennies, have finally gotten approval from my wife (no easy feat!), and have been trying to pick up the 40th anniversary boxed set for months now (no luck; my orders keep getting cancelled from Amazon, due to overseas sellers being “out of stock,” even when the product is posted - don’t even get me started).

Sigh...I don’t know, I guess I just feel like I’ve finally found camaraderie on this forum - a place where others understand the impact and value of this remarkable duo, and it’s a bit surprising/disappointing that folks aren’t willing to pass along the hard-to-get stuff. I hope you find it, BeeBee1. For that matter, I hope I find it, too! :lock:

To be honest and with all due respect, I don’t understand why fellow fans wouldn’t be willing to share the music with others, especially when it’s nearly impossible to find. I mean, c’mon, it’s not like anybody can just go out to our local record store and pick up a copy of “Sweet Memory.” If I could, I would. And while I admire folks’ work in getting those rare sets, sometimes it’s just not possible to acquire them. I’ve saved my pennies, have finally gotten approval from my wife (no easy feat!), and have been trying to pick up the 40th anniversary boxed set for months now (no luck; my orders keep getting cancelled from Amazon, due to overseas sellers being “out of stock,” even when the product is posted - don’t even get me started).

Sigh...I don’t know, I guess I just feel like I’ve finally found camaraderie on this forum - a place where others understand the impact and value of this remarkable duo, and it’s a bit surprising/disappointing that folks aren’t willing to pass along the hard-to-get stuff. I hope you find it, BeeBee1. For that matter, I hope I find it, too! :lock:

I believe Harry posted it best above, the Sweet Memory set is not that hard to find, yes it is rare but if you have been watching the forum I have been trying to post when I see it and my posts have shown that this set is not that expensive. If you are considering the 40th box set than the Sweet Memory is a drop in the bucket in price. The Sweet Memory will show up again, you can be sure of it and prices are no where near the 40th anniv box set. Sometimes good things happen to those that wait. I know I waited a long time to acquire my set and it finally happened.

Let's not turn this thread into a wrestling match, while I'm disappointed in your logic, I also don't understand how you can relate finding this great forum to then becoming disappointed in our forum members for not giving you free music, no matter how much someone may want it, we must remember that people paid there hard earn money and time in finding these rare sets and to only give them away to the public free of charge is just wrong no matter how you look at it. This is a great forum and one that is filled with valuable information all around.

I will continue to post when I see this set appear in hopes that it helps others who are willing to purchase the sets for their collections.

Let's not turn this thread into a wrestling match, while I'm disappointed in your logic, I also don't understand how you can relate finding this great forum to then becoming disappointed in our forum members for not giving you free music, no matter how much someone may want it, we must remember that people paid there hard earn money and time in finding these rare sets and to only give them away to the public free of charge is just wrong no matter how you look at it. This is a great forum and one that is filled with valuable information all around.

I will continue to post when I see this set appear in hopes that it helps others who are willing to purchase the sets for their collections.
I suspected I’d get some push-back on that post. Fair points, all, especially noting the value of this forum (and genuinely, many thanks for posting the rare opportunities you uncover for purchasing the hard-to-get items), but my goal isn’t to get “free music.” Indeed, as have most others on this forum, I’ve purchased, repurchased, and repurchased again the duo’s albums for decades. I have four iterations of A Song For You alone!

I’ve also had my share of successes in acquiring the collectibles. I’m simply suggesting that it wouldn’t be highway robbery for fans to share the rare stuff among themselves, especially since it’s likely the only copies available will likely be re-sales, anyway, so the artist and label have long since received their royalties, anyway, on the particular copy I might be able to acquire at some point in the future. Which brings me to another question I’ve had for some time. With iTunes so readily available across the globe, I’ve often wondered why the rare sets haven’t been made available through those avenues. It can’t be that expensive to have the items on those formats, and then fans could have easier access.

And...since the last post in this thread, Chris has pointed the way to *yet another* SWEET MEMORY set, and another of our membership has happily added it to his collection. And this one also was less than $100 including shipping. For someone who's been trying to buy the 40th Anniversary set, that $100 is a paltry price in comparison. And with SWEET MEMORY, you get nearly the whole Carpenters canon anyway, and one definitive rare remix. With the 40th Anniversary set, you basically get the same albums that can be had for roughly $8 each. The only thing NEW there was a commentary track by Richard on a DVD. So while you might look at basically one remix costing $100, compare that with Richard's commentary - is it worth $400 - $800?

I'm not trying to downgrade the 40th Anniversary set. It is what it is - I have the 35th and am thrilled with it - but I also want to remind folks about the possibility of ending up with a counterfeit. Those are all over the place, and genuine sets are harder and harder to find, particularly in genuine form.

As for anyone's personal generosity, since we're not running for public office, I don't think it's fair to question that. I've shared much over the years and with a lot of people. I've also been burned by my generosity, finding something I've shared in good faith and confidence showing up for sale on eBay.

Harry

Plenty of strong opinions on this topic.A couple of things I'll mention about this:

If I had this "Sweet Memory" set,I wouldn't have a problem uploading the "Another Song" remix on youtube.
I've received much generousity from A&M over the years-both US and UK offices.They've sent me a nice selection of (complimentary) A&M product,back in the day.(Including the "From The Top" boxed set),as well as press kits & photos-just for the asking. Consequently, I would absolutely provide this request for a forum member-if I was able to.

K&R's entire catalog has been available in the US. All the material on this "Sweet Memory" import has been available here,and it wouldn't make sense to spend the top dollar for this set just to get the "Another Song" remix. The original version on "Close To You" was very well-done.I haven't heard this remix-but it's probably similar to the remix Richard did for "Mr.Guder".

WAIT- there's a Mr. Guder remix?! I need to hunt it down at once, that's one of my all time favorite Carpenters songs.

I agree with must hear this.
I always remember my Mother teaching me to share and don't be selfish.
The person very politely asked if he could hear that one remix......... He wasn't asking for an upload of the whole set!
Yes, it's costly, yes, it's hard to find....... but surely it's 'good' to do something kind for someone? It also makes YOU feel really good, knowing you've done something nice for someone.
I think it's a sad world if people end up grabbing everything for themselves and aren't prepared to spread a little bit of kindness around, it IS Christmas after all folks!!
As I said, it was one track .........
Someone on this forum did something REALLY kind for me, they agreed to send me a copy of a rare album, a VERY rare album....... I was astounded to find that he actually sent me a spare original copy of the album, with a beautiful heartfelt letter. That is something I will treasure forever and I'll never forget it. If there was anything I could do for him in a similar way, i would do it, with gratitude.
One good turn deserves another..........
I know some people have saved up for the set etc, but i still think it's mean spirited to say no one else can hear it.
I watched an old film the other day, a christmas carol, which is particularly relevant here - SCROOGE!! hehe.
Kindness is very much underated!!
Bob

Last edited:
The person very politely asked if he could hear that one remix......... He wasn't asking for an upload of the whole set!

Correction: The person very politely asked if he could hear that one remix - in a public forum, with the request to be put on a public site. Had I been asked in a private conversation after some kind of introduction, I most likely would have been happy to share my good fortune - as I've always been happy to do. There's a right way and a wrong way to conduct oneself in such dealings, and I'm not casting aspersions at our original poster who was in fact a new member and perhaps not familiar with the rules of etiquette on an Internet forum in general, or this forum in particular.

What I find particularly off-putting here are the subsequent character assassinations being implied by words like this:

I think it's a sad world if people end up grabbing everything for themselves and aren't prepared to spread a little bit of kindness around, it IS Christmas after all folks!!

...but i still think it's mean spirited to say no one else can hear it.

Words like this hurt. They hurt me, and they hurt others. No one appointed anyone else judge and jury over others.

I slaved a lot of hours over a lot of months to put together the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource as a "gift" to my fellow Carpenters fans. I've freely GIVEN extra copies of singles and albums and CDs to people who I know would genuinely appreciate it. And I did so in private - not to gain any recognition, but to simply spread around my good fortune. Chris-an-ordinary-fool has spent much time scouring eBay to help others find the SWEET MEMORY set, and all of those who've gotten it have been properly grateful. I personally resent being called a Scrooge on a public forum, and I'm sure others do too.

So think about what you're saying before you hit that [Post Reply] button, and think about how others might feel about it. If your mother taught you to share, then she probably also taught you to not say negative things about others.

Harry

I agree with must hear this.
I always remember my Mother teaching me to share and don't be selfish.
Yes, it's costly, yes, it's hard to find....... but surely it's 'good' to do something kind for someone? It also makes YOU feel really good, knowing you've done something nice for someone.
As I said, it was one track .........
Someone on this forum did something REALLY kind for me, they agreed to send me a copy of a rare album, a VERY rare album....... I was astounded to find that he actually sent me a spare original copy of the album, with a beautiful heartfelt letter. That is something I will treasure forever and I'll never forget it. If there was anything I could do for him in a similar way, i would do it, with gratitude.
One good turn deserves another..........
I know some people have saved up for the set etc, but i still think it's mean spirited to say no one else can hear it.
I watched an old film the other day, a christmas carol, which is particularly relevant here - SCROOGE!! hehe.
Kindness is very much underated!!
Bob

I am really shocked at the responses on this thread. It sounds like most of you are saying....you have something we want so give it to us now or you are considered a Scrooge, do you hear what your saying? First you ask and then if you don't get it then you whip lash the forum members who don't agree with you and then call it out as saying if you have something (no matter what you paid for it) you have something we want and it's not fair that we don't have it so let's gang up and call them all Scrooges, maybe we will get it then??

I'm sorry but that sorta makes my stomach turn and quite frankly makes me want to stop posting here at all.

Merry Christmas :santawave:

Harry, I think this thread has run it's course and would not mind if it closed, what else can be said?

OOOweee, ordinarily I get the goose bumps or chill factor when spinning Karen! That said, there is a great deal of sharing that transpires here. Upon occasion I've done just that and it has been reciprocal. The ultimate caution is being stabbed in the back by having your cherished keepsake making mint on ebay. I've oft heard this tale. Not to rant on but...before I good-heartedly gift any of my vast collection of memorabilia to anyone I must KNOW that they are a kindred spirit. Hell, if someone was gonna sell the stuff it oughta be the person who has lugged it up and down the West coast for 40+ years. For that matter I have these items so well wrapped, secured, protected from light and temperature extreme that I rarely see the items myself. When I do see them they are pristine! What good are they doing me in secured storage? Answer: they're not on your ebay acct! I haven't lovingly, painstakingly, manically, aggressively and sleeplessly pursued these rare trinkets, posters, coasters, belt buckles and all the rest just to buy a pig in a poke. For instance, my own sister who grew up loving the group nearly as much as I, asked for one of my original CarpenterS fan club t-shirts to wear to the festive CarpenterS at Christmas impersonation concert at Spirit Mountain Casino Dec 21 next. She said it will be her Christmas present. I said you had one or two already. She said yeah, but that was in the 70's. Funny me, I was actually surprised she didn't still have one of my babies. I don't think she even gave it up for adoption rather it saw the dumpster. Surprise surprise I said uhhhh NO! Not being a total jerk and wanting to spread the Karen love I went to Café Press yesterday and ordered a replica of Karen's concert t-shirt LEAD SISTER. It will arrive at her home in days. She will be duly outfitted for this occasion as will I. I'm not wearing original either but Karen will be well represented. The point I'm making is even my sister who had all the makings of a serial CarpenterS enthusiast didn't possess the kind of respect for these irreplaceable originals that I deemed worthy of sharing. So persons of critique you must understand this is rooted in passing the torch as it were. You wouldn't hand off to just any Jim, Joe or Andy now would you. The season of sharing is upon us. Thought I'd share a few thoughts with you.

Happy holidays in '13

Ok, I will draw a line under it.
I feel the same way though..... It is ONE track in question, would that end up on ebay??
Yes, I appreciate all the time given it has taken you Harry on this forum - that's why I made a donation to it a few months ago..........
I suppose i could have phrased my message better, so as not to offend anyone......... but then again the person in question was firmly put in his place by people on here wasn't he? I was just up front and honest about how i feel........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom