• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Can someone do me (and other fans) a huge favor?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitate to weigh in on this sensitive topic... At this point, however, I feel I must so that my awarding of "Likes" in this particular thread is not misinterpreted.

I, too, greatly appreciate the continuous hard work, time, etc., of the administrator and moderators. I gave "Likes" to a couple of posts in this thread, not as an endorsement of any "character assassination," but because I appreciated and agreed with the underlying sentiment: the spirit of giving and sharing (noble aspirations, to be sure). The creator of this thread, a new member, made a simple request whose first reply, though polite, diplomatic, and understandable, was to an extent that, had I been the creator of this thread, I probably wouldn't have returned to this site. I should note that the additional post welcoming the new person set the right tone, and the original creator of this thread was equally gracious.

As I stated in a long-ago post, I think that we can all do a better job of (1) being welcoming and responsive to new people and (2) avoiding the "clique-ishness" that seems to creep in from time to time.

Finally, "Sometimes, not often enough, we reflect upon the good things..." Best wishes to all!

I enjoy, respect and find each of my fellow members enchanting. Sometimes enthralling. All enthusiasts points of view, information, breaking news, welcomes are relative. I too welcome our newest members. Certainly not intending to discourage involvement. Our family and camaraderie is our greatest asset in preserving this resource. Numerous times over the years I've had options to buy different collections namely Sweet Memory. It wasn't until recently that I afforded myself this luxury albeit only $59 bucks. Generally speaking I'm aware that sometimes posting we set ourselves up for vulnerability. I have many times wondered if my occasional personality reveal was appropriate. Fortunately the powers that be haven't deleted any of my ramblings...yet. At this stage I'd like to believe that our average member feels no threat from me. Just perceiving some over-abundance of passion. A proclivity even. Whatever you call it I've found a sense of home here. Unlike growing up in the 70's where Nugent and Cat Scratch Fever was infinitely more cool to acknowledge an allegiance. Being charged with an irrepressible fanaticism for all things CarpenterS and still being an impressionable youth I even fibbed once or twice saying my favorite act was Alice Cooper. More power to Alice. I do like The Mother's of Invention and Dynamo Hum but this was a charade designed to ward off red-necks. I'd like to think given publicity and the advent of SING's la la la la la's that Karen would forgive this transgression of sorts. In any event when my Sweet Memory set arrives I would be happy to provide the Another Song remix to the above new member. This was done graciously for me and while I'm not real savvy with all things computer my partner is and relying on his sophistication I will make this happen. The point has been duly noted re: sharing, caring and the spirit of the holidays ad nauseam. Mind you it has nothing to do with the Christian observance that prompts my effort. It's simply a personal decision. When I began THIS post my original intention was attack. Soon realizing this wasn't the solution to this mess. While not freely offering any of my prized CarpenterS fan club t-shirts this remix, while being fantastic isn't worth our forum family being disjointed in any way. Perhaps had Another Song not been so freely shared with me I wouldn't be feeling compassionate. Please in hindsight do respect the acquisitions of other members and do not become harsh in doing so. For whatever reason a collector chooses to observe we must recognize and honor individual proclivities as it were.

Okey dokey, can we put this scenario to bed now?

Jeff

I believe things would have turned out differently had the original poster gave us a little history of their Carpenters experience, giving some kind of idea that they are joining to contribute to the forums yet the first post was asking for something for free. Welcome to the new member anyway....let's hope we hear more posts from this member in the future. Whether the first time poster gets something for free or not should NOT be a reason for them to stop posting.....it is after all about the Carpenters not our forum members. If I was joining a forum it would be because I want to participate and contribute what I knew about the duo. I guess I just think differently, it would not be my first post to ask for something free.

I was hurt by the comments being posted for the record. To be called mean spirited and a scrooge, well I took offense and rightly so!!!

I have traded and exchanged many times in the past with not only Carpenters fans but also my Olivia fans as well. I was hurt that people could post these kind of comments when they don't really know who I am as a Carpenters fan.

Being upfront and honest is all well and good but if we don't choose our words carefully and be more considerate of how other's may feel, it always leads to hurt.

I can’t help but feel partially responsible for the tenor this thread, where good folks felt personally attacked. While never my intention, and I hope none of my own comments landed on my fellow fans in an accusatory way, I suspect my initial retort launched the direction in which the thread eventually moved. To the extent that this is true, I sincerely apologize. I’ve been enjoying this wonderful forum for almost a year now, and I’m still learning to be more careful with how I convey my messages.

Ok. After all these years you folks finally convinced me that I need to get this cd set. Once upon a time a completist, I gave up when I realized getting every compilation was becoming an excessive and expensive obsession. Thanks for refueling the fire :nyah:
Santa, if you happen to be reading this....

Ok. it's time for me to apologise too.
I do realise my post was offensive and i am sorry for that.
There are ways of getting ones point across, without being too personal.
Harry, I think you were aware of how your original post 'might' be interpreted as you said '' Though I don't wish to sound like a miserly Scrooge at this time of year''.
The mistake I made was posting the reply while feeling quite worked up about it all. Yes, I should have taken a step back and rephrased it all......
As i said in my post, kindness is underated and my post lacked that. It IS possible to disagree with someone and say WHY you disagree is a polite way.
Looking at it all again i CAN see the new members first post was in asking for a download of a track. However, I personally wouldn't have a problem with sharing that one track. The guy is a fan, by hunting down the forum and registering, seems to confirm that, although that maybe wasn't known quite so much, at the beginning.
I regret writing my post in anger and I don't want to fall out with people and be viewed as being rude and aggressive, which i assure you i absolutely am not.
Especially to you Harry, it does look like a personal attack. You put a huge amount of work into this forum and I for one really look forward to looking at the forum, 4 or 5 times a day, to see what's happening.
I do hope we can all be friends again and put this behind us........... I PROMISE in future, if I disagree with anything, i will stop and think and make sure I don't rush in like a bull in a china shop!!
If I'm going to pontificate about kindness and sharing, then I should practise what i preach!!
With best wishes and i hope i can be forgiven.........
Bob x

It's OK, we're all still friends, and we'll just retire this thread and let it fade away into history.

Use the SWEET MEMORY thread for any discussions about that set.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom