Captain & Tennille specials on DVD: Why not Carpenters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

And the end of August, three of the Captain & Tennille ABC specials will be released on DVD.

Why are the Carpenters specials not on DVD? Richard has said before that the music publishing rights issues would prohibit release on DVD. Well, somehow Toni & Daryl have found a way around it. I would love to have their Christmas specials in good quality DVD. And to see "Music Music Music" with Ella would be fantastic!

Richard has seemed embarrassed by the comedy portions of these specials. Granted, some of them are very corny. (who can forget the bowling alley scene with Richard depressed and Harvey Korman trying to cheer him up). It just seems time for these specials to be released. It's been quiet on the Carpenters front for too long.

True, their comedy in the specials was sometimes a bit corny and I can understand Richard's embarrassment... But I've always thought that a Christmas DVD could be culled from both the Christmas specials, and from the Perry Como Christmas special. It would be nice to see and hear the original Santa Claus Is Coming to Town in crystal clear clarity, instead of the copy of a copy of a copy, etc. version that shows up on the internet from time to time...

Music, Music, Music should definitely be released on DVD. There are snippets posted on YouTube and the performances still hold up after nearly 30 years...

Other possibilities: Performances from the Make Your Own Kind of Music series, minus the skits. Or a compilation of guest appearances on other shows. Also, I've always wondered why no DVD version of AS TIME GOES BY wasn't made, since most of the songs came from television specials...

With the 25th anniversary of Karen's death coming up next year, it would be a good time to release another DVD...

Richard has seemed embarrassed
There you go, you answered your own question. If I was him, considering that I didn't need the money, I wouldn't let those out either, especially knowing that a lot of negotiations and work would be required to get them out. Why would he put himself through that?

Someday, if they ever get Richard's blessing, Universal might decide to do what they're doing with the ABBA re-releases, and that's including an album-specific DVD with each album re-release. They did it with WATERLOO and ARRIVAL, and this fall they'll do it with THE ALBUM. It's a logical place to issue old TV footage, and it gets fans to buy the albums all over again!

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
Richard has seemed embarrassed
There you go, you answered your own question. If I was him, considering that I didn't need the money, I wouldn't let those out either, especially knowing that a lot of negotiations and work would be required to get them out. Why would he put himself through that?

I would hope that Richard will be able to see past that someday. He has nothing to be embarrassed about. These are documents of their career and they really are endearing in their own way. Hopefully, he'll find it within himself to let go of the apprehension. I don't know of any fan that wouldn't love to see these things released on DVD. Maybe that'll register with him one day.

Ed

Well, being embarassed about something can have a big bearing on whether it sees the light of day or not. My mom's got lots of old pictures of me. They're a document of my life, but if I got famous I sure wouldn't want them printed up and distributed around the world to people, even if they were fans.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing those specials either (I'd probably Netflix'em, if not buy them) but I can understand why Richard might not really feel the need to put them out there.

Mike Blakesley said:
Well, being embarassed about something can have a big bearing on whether it sees the light of day or not. My mom's got lots of old pictures of me. They're a document of my life, but if I got famous I sure wouldn't want them printed up and distributed around the world to people, even if they were fans.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing those specials either (I'd probably Netflix'em, if not buy them) but I can understand why Richard might not really feel the need to put them out there.

Agreed. I just hope he can see past that someday. I know I'm not the one in the videos doing the bad skits. The difference between your old pictures and those Carpenters specials is that they were broadcast for public consumption at one point. He's getting older and he's so far removed from the time at which they were done that he might as well be a different person now.

Ed

Richard makes all sorts of excuses, bottom line is he doesn't like them and doesn't want them released.

His explanatiosn of rights no longer count, he says they don't hold up to time - true maybe but they are a piece of Carpenters history and nearly every fan has a bootleg copy so just release them in good quality. You can't undo or change history.

R2 who did Sonny & Cher, C&T etc desperately want to release the Carpenters shows, regardless of rights issues, but Richard refuses.

I want a 6 dvd set with the 5 ABC specials and a 6th Carpenters music only clips from make Your Own Kind Of Music - a definitive TV set.

Then again, there is also the cancelled/deleted/postponed/who knows Live at the BBC DVD...

As a younger fan, I would love to have the opportunity to see these TV specials. I watched a handful on YouTube a while ago (I'm not sure if they've been removed since then) and they certainly are 'of their time', but that's half the charm. It's also incredibly novel to see such large productions from a decade when variety television was at its peak, particularly as you never see such elaborate music television specials from artists nowadays. As for the embarrassing skits here and there, I think it's fair to say that nobody is going to pay them much attention in comparison to the musical sections, most of which are still as enjoyable as ever.

x

Maybe Richard would be OK with a DVD called "Carpenters TV Specials: Just the Music, Folks" (but then there would still be people wanting the complete shows).

What I understand is that due to rights clearances, it is much cheaper to release a show or special in tact. Once you start cutting out "just the music", it then becomes a new program and is subject to current royalty payments. This is why most of the classic TV variety series that have been released on DVD include entire shows, rather than a "Sonny & Cher music video collection".

Many of the classic music artists from the 60's & 70's, who also had TV shows, have never had a "Best of" collection produced. The only one I am aware of is Elvis. His fan base is so large, they can put together clip DVD's.

So, the only economical way for Richard to release the Carpenters TV specials is in their original form.

I would love to see the Space Encounters special again. That was probably the cheesiest one of them all. I think he(Richard) should release Music, Music, Music though because after all the whole show is only music

There are at least a dozen great Christmas performances that can be culled for a Christmas DVD (possibly a companion to the 30th anniversary release of Christmas Portrait). I've mentioned this in a thread here years ago, but it didn't garner any enthusiasm. A quality DVD can be made sans all the "corny" skits.

Retro specials from the 1970's are hotter than ever. If they can release a Tony Orlando and Dawn DVD set, then the Carpenters certainly deserve one! There is a PLETHORA of awesome material that can be released (the songs from "Make Your Own Kind of Music" for starters), that it's such a shame Richard won't budge.
I can't imagine the clearance being so tough for the Carpenters songs only from the 1971 series to be released....sans the guest stars. He did release "(A Place to) Hideaway" on the "Close to You" documentary....as well as "Ave Maria". There are so many video clips he could have added (i.e.) "Wishin' and Hopin'" and "Trains and Boats and Planes"....the list goes on and on.
All of the following songs contain 'videos' from the 1971 series that still have not seen the light of day:
Your Wonderful Parade
Ticket to Ride
Don't Be Afraid
What's the Use
All I Can Do
We've Only Just Begun (with Karen rocking on the drums!)
Help!
Baby It's You
Mr. Guder
I Kept On Loving You
Rainy Days and Mondays
Saturday
Let Me Be the One
For All We Know
Druscilla Penny
One Love (with different piano in instrumental break)
Bacharach/David Medley
PLUS....most importantly, the unreleased piano/vocal snippets, including "Good Day Sunshine", "New World Coming", etc. etc.

The ABC specials are another matter entirely. The Christmas specials could be edited to just include the songs, and no skits. Richard OWNS the specials, so it's probably not as difficult as one might imagine. He did say in a 1986 Larry King interview that he would release a Christmas video, but it never materialized. I hope he will consider this venture at some point. Carpenters' fans certainly want it!

He could do it as a "documentary" show with himself introducing various songs. It'd give him a chance to share behind-the-scenes tidbits or even explain why certain things might be (to today's audiences) a bit cheezy.

Mike Blakesley said:
He could do it as a "documentary" show with himself introducing various songs. It'd give him a chance to share behind-the-scenes tidbits or even explain why certain things might be (to today's audiences) a bit cheezy.

I like it! He would need to leave the shows intact, though. I'm sure he could explain why things were as they were. We all just really want as much of Carpenters/Karen as we can get.

...or, he could leave the shows intact and do a "commentary" track the way movie directors do. That might be kind of funny, along with being informative.

All great ideas!! Just so long as Richard takes the bull by the horns, and releases all of the great clips and/or specials that are currently sitting on a shelf.

I just finished watching the Captain & Tennille's Christmas special on DVD.
It just made me sad that the Carpenters have no holiday (or TV Special) DVD on the market.

The Carpenters legacy seems to be dying a slow death. The rights issues can be resolved, as evidence by the Captain & Tennille release. It just seems that with each passing year, the audience who would love to see material on K&R dwindles.

Why is he letting their musical and pop culture history fade away?

Many excellent points made on this thread already, and I especially agree with Mike B. (I think ...allergies here and more airheaded than usual) but the ABC specials with great music and cheesy spots shown with the sarcastically dry Richard Carpenter doing the voice overs would be wonderful. And as for market appeal? well, they'd have my twenty bucks just to see the beautiful Karen on the "Merry Christmas, Darling" video, glitter hair and all and I already have every special, commercial, tid bit and news item on those old Vhs thick tape things. If I had the talent I would make one for free and then submit it to Richard for approval or just give the damn thing to him.Their legacy certainly warrants it. By the way, Karen doing Sandra Dee??She was a freaking riot. I don't know how I missed that concert but glad to have seem her (and those) on YouBoob. Pun intended.

..and the bloopers are even good, and should be included in the DVD. For example, Karen keeping John Davidson in line when they danced, when she spoke Spanish inviting viewers to "Music, Music, Music," and made her cute face when she finally finished, walking in a few times to get her staging right just before her awesome duet with Ella Fitsgerald, more more more.
Bottom line now. Does anyone know how well their DVD's have sold in the past? I think one of them went top 15 in Billboard.

Music Music Music is a television special they could definitely release on DVD. There are no cheesey sketches on this show, just great music.

In fact, the Captain & Tennille DVD's have a newly recorded commentary track by Toni & Daryl. They talk about the cheesy costumes, the bad sketches, and the poor dancing. They are able to address their uneasy feelings on part of the show. But, they do it with humor and fun. Just like when we see old photos of ourselves.

As we get older, these "cheesy" elements of the show are slightly comforting. They don't do specials like this anymore, and it's fun to watch them again.

I just rented the Paul Lynde Halloween special on DVD. Let's talk "cheesy"! But, it was a blast to watch. I had a great time seeing it and watching the band "KISS" in a comedy sketch. And in November, the 1st four Barry Manilow ABC specials are being released on DVD for the very 1st time. Great guests like Ray Charles, John Denver, and Dionne Warwick. In the 1st special, Barry sings a duet with Penny Marshall. She can't sing, but it was a "moment in time".

I just wish Richard would not take everything so seriously and allow these specials out on the market. So many artists have shown now that it can be done.

Thank you very much, Richard, for releasing songs on "Close To You - Remembering the Carpenters"!!

JAZZ4JEFF said:
And in November, the 1st four Barry Manilow ABC specials are being released on DVD for the very 1st time. Great guests like Ray Charles, John Denver, and Dionne Warwick. In the 1st special, Barry sings a duet with Penny Marshall. She can't sing, but it was a "moment in time".

I just wish Richard would not take everything so seriously and allow these specials out on the market. So many artists have shown now that it can be done.
Richard was never as fond of these as Karen, who was clearly the star and enjoyed the experience of making them. He feels that, while still being palatable to the average viewer, the specials should have taken more of the musical high road, such as those of Barbra Streisand and Barry Manilow, emphasizing Karen’s remarkable voice, rather than including so many comedy sketches and canned laughter....
http://richardandkarencarpenter.com/biography-9.htm

I don't have Barry nor Barbra's specials except one song on Barry's old box set. I preordered Barry's DVD set with another item. I already paid but they haven't sent the item. I wonder if I can get the DVD set. Where is another item?

Was the Captain & Tennille DVD released by R2 Entertainment like another DVD by Captain & Tennille?

A few years ago I read that R2 Entertainment were going to release Carpenters' & Olivia Newton-John's TV Special DVD's, but they couldn't release.
They released Donny & Marie Osmond DVD. I saw Olivia's appearance on Donny & Marie Show as preview of the DVD on Donny's site. I read that Olivia's parts were cut off when it was released.
But Olivia's another appearance, Bob Hope Special(?) was released on DVD.

Haven't R2 Entertainment released 3 DVD's which have Carpenters?
"This Is Your Life box set"
"This Is Your Life '70s Music icons Richard & Karen Carpenter, Shriley Jones"
"Bob Hope 's Comedy Collection"

I think I saw the certification Gold for "Close To You" video at RIAA site before.

I gave up Karen's solo release when I heard interview with Karen on radio in 1981. However Carpenters boom in the middle of 90's let the solo released!!
I wish fans in the U.S. send requests of DVD's to A&M or R2 Entertainment and let our dream come true. If we could make Richard's attorney suggest Richard to release DVD's...?

Richard wrote about "An Old Fashioned Christmas;
I was informed by.... Werner Wolfen, that A&M was interested in releasing an album....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom