• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carole King in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
I've just returned from a late-night road trip to Nashville, where I took in a rare live performance by Carole King at the Ryman Auditorium, a reknowned country venue.
First, although the show was sold out we wound up sitting on row seven near the stage, thanks to the generosity of Lead Guitarist Rudy Guess. He had saved 12 seats and pre-show backstage passes for family members. Three didn't show up, and my friends and I lucked out. One of Guess' cousins spotted us carrying LP covers outside the venue, struck up a conversation and we were in. I still can't believe it.
Carole, at age 62, sang powerfully and demonstrated her piano skills on a Yamaha concert grand. Guess, and Singer-Bassist Gary Burr, played while sitting on living room sofas, except for numbers where Carole joined them on guitar.
The 32-song setlist included:

Beautiful
Welcome to My Living Room
Up on the Roof
Where You Lead
Now and Forever (written for a Penny Marshall film)
Lay Down My Life
Back to Caanan
Love Makes the World
What Mattered Most
Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me (CK on guitar)
Smackwater Jack
Wishful Thinking (following environmental speech)
Take Good Care of My Baby
It Might as Well Rain Until Sept.
Go Away Little Girl
Oh No, Not My Baby
Hey Girl
One Fine Day

--- intermission ---

Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Nobody Wants to be Lonely
It's Too Late (with ad for "Rock the Vote")
So Far Away
Sweet Seasons
Loving You Forever
Chains
Pleasant Valley Sunday
We've Got to Live With Each Other
I Feel the Earth Move
You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman
You've Got a Friend
Locomotion --- the last 3 were encores.

JB
(very tired physically but energized musically, online)

Carole is due to stop in Portland soon. Attending her concert is now on my have to do list. Tapestry was my first cassette because I felt the Earth move.

Jeff

Interesting set list -Carole King rarely performs outside USA these days -perhaps she will do one last major tour over next few years as there are so many great / evergreen songs in her catalogue ..... :)

Peter

I just think she is a bit over the hill to perform her brand of music live- "Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time"......now it could be arthritis! :laugh:
(No meanness intended- just my opinion.)

Ms. King told the audience she's 62, and that the day of the concert was her Mother's birthday (age 88 ).
She could pass for 42 easily; gotta be doing something right.
JB

Steven J. Gross said:
I just think she is a bit over the hill to perform her brand of music live- "Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time"......now it could be arthritis! :laugh:
(No meanness intended- just my opinion.)

She could pass for 45, she is in great shape, and her voice is still strong and gets the high notes. Even when her face is blown up on the screens at the venue, she still looks pretty darn good for her age.

I say "Keep on going, CK. You sound great to me!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom