Carpenter/Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Yesterday I was listening to Brian Wilson's IMAGINATION cd. Brian performing over-dubs and enchanting harmonies was reminiscent of another person I know. At times my ears did a double-take as the layers of sound perforated the room. Richard has been quoted many times likening his artistry to the "Three B's". Herein lies the thought. A collaboration between RC & BW would give the world an unparalled sound. Something unique. It seems this duo would ignite, taking their fame to new heights. I've never seen this topic posted. Maybe...this is an original brain-child...If so, we'll be talking royalties. Haha.

Jeff

I remember reading or hearing that Brian Wilson wasn't pleased with Carpenters versions of his songs. Can't remember where though...

Funny, I just found an excerpt on the web from a Carnie Wilson interview on Good Morning America - Uck!) where she said, "I knew I wanted to be a singer when I heard voices like Barbra Streisand and Karen Carpenter. My parents loved the Carpenters, and we played their records all the time at home. It didn't matter whether you liked that style of music or not. It was the magic in Karen's voice that was so soothing, and the lushness of the layered harmonies that were like soft clouds of sound."

richiebro said:
I remember reading or hearing that Brian Wilson wasn't pleased with Carpenters versions of his songs. Can't remember where though...

The only recorded time Brian Wilson said he didnt like their version was when he heard the song "Boat To Sail' from the Hush album.

The line goes 'Brian Wilson's song are never left behind..'. Apparently he was acutely embarrassed at being name checked like that.

Stephen

I am surprised that Brian and Richard have never taken the opportunity to work together. It seems like it would be a match made in heaven.
JIM

Certainly Brian Wilson was embarrassed by Carpenters tag line on "Boat To Sail" in 1976 as he was just returning to an active Beach Boys role after years of ill health / breakdowns :sad:

Carpenters did record several other Wilson / Beach Boy tracks in 1969 -this was due to A&M plus Rondor & Irving music publishers acquiring Wilson's songs from an illegal sale by his infamous father Murray Wilson.

Brian Wilson later sued all companies for breach of his copyrights and an unauthorised contract and gained millions in settlement later in 1970's :shock:

Many A&M artists who were pitched / recorded Wilson songs -never issued these tracks ....probably because of the legal settlement ? :confused:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom