1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Carpenters album covers, sleeves, labels, etc.

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ThaFunkyFakeTation, May 30, 2013.

1. Marianne, welcome. These two covers are the result of Richard and Karen not being happy with the original design - the straighter one - so the art department changed the cover to the more skewed version. They hated that too, and the end result was it was changed back. But both covers are out there and have been used on various CD reissues.

Harry

2. Song4uman

Song4uman Active Member

I saw a vinyl Carpenters album that I don't think I have seen before. It is not on the resource page nor on David's page with all of the albums. I'll put the link here and see if anyone has seen it before...

Thanks for any info.

Jonathan

3. There were many, many Carpenters record albums released around the world back in the '70s. Collecting them all would be a chore beyond belief - and the important point to remember is that other than a few single vs. album versions, most are all original mixes, as the remixing didn't start until the CD age.

Harry

4. Marieanne

Marieanne New Member

Hey Harry! Thank you!

Can you point me out to the specific catalogs of the CD release using the same cover as the vinyl [I posted] except the mini LP replica version?
    I really prefer the vinyl cover rather than the one in the CD image I posted, though I have both the vinyl and CD :)

5. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo Thread Starter

Cool facts, Harry. Now I want one that's skewed. I only have the original.

Ed

6. Marieanne

Marieanne New Member

Hiya Ed! Does the original CD release have the cover like that of the vinyl I posted?
    Can I have the catalog number of the CD if you don't mind? :)

Sorry I'm abbit confused atm :confused:

7. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

Sure, here you go....excuse the glare from windows...

[​IMG]

8. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

....and here's Lou's signature. I actually e-mailed him before posting this to make sure he was fine with it, and he replied to "share away!"....

[​IMG]

9. Regarding A SONG FOR YOU, if finding the vinyl with the skewed cover is problematic, try searching out the original US issue of the CD from A&M. It's a simple catalog number of CD 3511. That was actually the first time I saw the skewed cover/large heart design.

The later issues used the straighter design (MFSL, Remastered Classic, Japanese mini-LP CD).

Harry

10. Marieanne

Marieanne New Member

I must go for the Remastered Classic then, I hope it includes the lyrics like in the MFSL.

Anyways, thanks Harry, you've been immensely helpful.

11. Just so everyone's clear:

Original A&M CD: skewed/larger heart

MFSL: straighter/smaller heart
    Remastered Classic: straighter/smaller heart
    Japan mini-LP CD: straighter/smaller heart

Other issues around the world could possibly have used A&M's skewed/larger heart design. I've only ever seen the US issue. And I'll bet that any stealth reissues in the '90s used the straighter design, probably by Richard's decree.

Harry

12. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL

Hi, I don't see the photos, just a red X

13. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

Bizarre...when I just access the site, they're not there...but when I logged-in to re-post them, they ARE there. I copied/pasted the URL address for each, if there's an alternate way, let me know. I can e-mail you the .jpg files if nothing else.

14. ThaFunkyFakeTation

I think it's because we can't log in to see them. Only you can do that. They need to be somewhere where the .jpg's are linkable and don't require a log-in. Your "inbox" isn't the place to do that. If you'd like, you can email them to me and I'll upload them to a space where everyone can see them.

Ed

15. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

I've tried but am unable to copy and paste the .jpg files here, only the URL. Relay a preferred e-mail address and I'll forward them...thx.

16. ThaFunkyFakeTation

My email address is edgeoffluke@yahoo.com (this is the one most accessible at the moment). I'd be happy to post them so people can see them. I know I'm excited to see them myself... :wink:

Thanks for being so willing to show them off!

Ed

17. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Does anyone have the original ochre labels for "Now And Then" that they could scan and throw at me? My copy has the silver labels. If anyone has them, scanning them in the PNG format would be marvelous.

Thanks for anything anyone can do... :)

Ed

18. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

Ed,

I just e-mailed three .jpg files from my iPhone. They don't do the print justice, but hope it helps if others are interested. Somehow, having a signed print from the actual artist of an original Carpenters album cover makes you feel like you have a slight connection with it all. What memories, and what pleasure their music continues to bring year after year after year. If anyone else is interested in purchasing a print from Lou, just e-mail him at loubeach.com.

19. ThaFunkyFakeTation

20. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Here are Steven's (Passenger) photos of his "Passage" framed artwork:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was another but it was almost exactly the same as the first one. Thanks to Steven for allowing us to see them!

Ed

21. ThaFunkyFakeTation

FYI. I also gave credit to our very own "Harry" for his help with a few things on the site. Therein, I also added a link back here. I've been meaning to both for a while and finally remembered this morning...LOL!

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/carpenters.html

Ed

22. Scans of original ochre labels are "in the mail."

Harry

23. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I love the Passage artwork...what size is the print, it's hard to tell from the photo...in addition the textured black in the last photo, is that throughout the entire print or just the border?

24. Song4uman

Song4uman Active Member

I sent him an email. Looking forward to getting an answer

25. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

The Passage cover itself is 15"x 15", with Lou's signature in the lower right corner below the print, and he prints and ships it on a 17"x 22" size paper. Per Lou, it's a "giclee print on musuem quality rag paper with archival inks". No, the textured black image you see is of the mat I selected. The dimensions of mine after matting and framing are 24"x 24".