• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are now available. The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is available for ordering here.

Carpenters at Elvis' concert 1975

Walkinat9

Only a very short bit of audio (at 32:00), but so cool to hear Elvis introducing them at one of his shows in Vegas 😎 :

Elvis Presley - Charlie, Bring Me The Request Box - August 20, 1975 Full Album CD 5 (YouTube)

Great to see 2 Carpenters-related names there; Ron Tutt, who also recorded with Karen & Richard around 1980. And indirectly related is bassist Jerry Scheff, whose nephew Aaron was one of Richard's son Colin's bandmates in the group GNTLMN a few years ago.

I just wish I could hear what Karen said back to Elvis :)

And... always nice to hear Elvis singing a few songs that were hits for Olivia :love:

Greg

Greg

I could only hear the name "Carpenters." Maybe someone can run the audio through some sort of filtering/cleanup software MI5 style to isolate what was said. Kind of cool to know Karen and Richard were able to see a legendary recording artist perform. Very few in that category today.

Jack A.

Only a very short bit of audio (at 32:00), but so cool to hear Elvis introducing them at one of his shows in Vegas 😎 :

Elvis Presley - Charlie, Bring Me The Request Box - August 20, 1975 Full Album CD 5 (YouTube)

Great to see 2 Carpenters-related names there; Ron Tutt, who also recorded with Karen & Richard around 1980. And indirectly related is bassist Jerry Scheff, whose nephew Aaron was one of Richard's son Colin's bandmates in the group GNTLMN a few years ago.

And... always nice to hear Elvis singing a few songs that were hits for Olivia :love:

Greg
And Jerry Scheff's son, Jason Scheff, was the lead singer for Chicago for about 30 years. They brought him in to replace Peter Cetera.

Walkinat9

I agree, it's very hard to hear what it is that Elvis is saying there.
This is what my ears seemed to hear, but I could be completely off 🙃

There's a group in the audience (and then apparently realizes they're not a group, but a duo)
They're really so nice to think about <mumble> (or: they're really fantastic <mumble>)
Uhm, they've come here to see me tonight here at <mumble>
And uh - will you say hello to the Carpenters, please?
<mumble, sounds like: She looks real great in blue (?) >
<mumble, sounds like: And they're on!>
<mumble>.... Karen?
<mumble>.......brother there?
Miss Karen - is your brother with ya?
(Karen must have answered, but inaudibly)
Oh okay - I'm just checkin'! (somebody calls out: Karen!)
Thank you for comin' in and see the show!

We got a good record out called T.R.O.U.B.L. (somebody calls out with excitement: Karen Carpen..!)

I must say it helped a tiny bit finding that same segment (although slightly shorter) with more treble up, right here (at 33:08) :
Elvis Presley - Top Acts Vol 2 - August 20, 1975 Full Album (YouTube)

Top Bottom