• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Carpenters Best" CD- Japan release. New CD?

adamj95

I see a cd for sale titled "Carpenters Best" with an OBI strip so it has to be a Japan release. I can't seem to find this CD anywhere else and i'm wondering if it's a new release or is it a bootleg? I'd prefer not to purchase an inauthentic Carpenters CD. Has anyone seen this CD before?

It looks like one of those "semi-official" releases that have exploded in Japan. Given that it has 36 tracks, it's probably a re-release of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

It also says Universal 2024 I think? They used that picture on several vinyl and cd releases over the years. It looks like a Polygram serial number too. It starts with a 4……

That is not a semi-official or a bootleg, but an authentic release by Universal Music LLC in Japan.
This compilation has repeatedly released with the same catalogue numbers.
I think the CDs you mentioned are probably "2 in 1" of the 2013 releases.

Carpenters – Carpenters Best (1994 A&M Records – DCI-83267/8)
R-19031800-1622935399-5273.jpg

Carpenters – Carpenters Best - Top Of The World (2013 A&M Records – DCI-83267A)
Carpenters – Carpenters Best - Yesterday Once More (2013 A&M Records – DCI-83268A)
R-17505232-1613835915-9696.jpg

The cover photo is probably taken by ANNIE LEIBOVITZ in the photo session for Rolling Stone.
Rolling Stone article: The Carpenters: Up From Downey
64d42dee1142fbc19239e9fae6ba9def.jpg

I guess are both Carpenters Best Vol. 1 and Carpenters Best Vol. 2 into one 2CD box

OK, I have the two that Beto pictured above, so now we Englishers can see what the track list and mixed are.

I have searched again, and found only2 auction pages.

Mercari auction page says that "This is a Mail Order Only CD".
The Obi description says "This is a compilation for Japanese fans, selected by Richard himself."

Mercari: CARPENTERS BEST (already deleted, photo only)
Mercari cover.jpg

Yahoo Auction page is the same page adamj95 found.
Yahoo Auction: CARPENTERS BEST

The photos below are from the Yahoo Auction page, and you can see the information.
1) The catalogue number is DCI-83267B/8B.
2) The release year is 2024.

5.jpg

3+4.jpg

My conclusion is that this is a rare CD, because of the Mail Order Only,
but the contents are nothing new (no remastering or remixing).

Sorry, I could not find the Mail-Order site selling this CD.
But, in my eyes, the package & discs look like an authentic Universal Music LLC release.
Maybe this CD is just released, and some store will start selling soon...I don't know.

Now I realize what this release is. A number of years ago, our @Rick-An Ordinary Fool sent me an extra copy he had of one of these two mail-order discs. I then located the other one somewhere online and added the set to our Resource. They are indeed authentic and official.

The only "oddity" on Vol. 1 is the inclusion of the LIVE IN JAPAN version of "Sometimes".

I had glanced at this thread earlier but with the photo from Adam I didn’t see any English track listings and then the cover photo. I didn’t think it could be related to the 2 Official CD’s Harry mentioned earlier that I own.

It was quite a surprise to find that live track in the middle of an all studio tracks. It like an odd ball out. But still cool but why the live version?

It also looks like the photos that lotus posted there are pics under the Cd tray of the Japan singles. I don’t remember if mine had that I’ve have to look later but I remember the inner sleeve was sparse.

Back
Top Bottom