Carpenters "bogus" autographs floating around...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I was just browsing e-bay again, and saw this pair of Carpenters' autographs that don't look all that authentic to me.

When I have seen these a couple of times in the past, they seem consistent with the way these (2) look. However, I have a personal autograph from Richard (so I can vouch for its legitimacy) as well as an album signed by both, and something just doesn't look right here. I could be wrong, but perhaps some others of you who own autographs by the Carpenters could shed some light on this. What time period would these be from if in fact they ARE legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61&item=2262175727&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

These are fakes, like 99% of those found on eBay... and the real probem is that the people making fakes are making so many and with the same signatures that they are being accepted by some as the real thing because they look like all the others on eBay. Unless you know the seller or know without a doubt that an autograph is authentic, don't bid! Especially on a Karen-signed copy of 1983's VOICE OF THE HEART! LOL!

Randy

I agree with Randy, the autographs on ebay are absolutely fake.

Compare the ebay autographs:
55_1.jpg

with these genuine ones...

Karen autograph from 1973:
KC-73.jpg

Richard autograph from 1973:
RC-73.jpg

Murray

Yeah, well like I said, Richard's I am sure of; And the only reason I am sure of the one I have of Karen's is because the signature from Richard right next to hers--ironically on the Horizon album sleeve by the way (hint-album of the week) looks like the other one I have from R.C. personally.

That's why it really pisses me off (pardon the expression) when I see this stuff on e-bay and there are such a high number of bidders. It's sad and I think these monkeys ought to be reported! -Chris

(Who's playing CHIEF OF POLICE in the interest of fellow Carpenters fans at the moment)

close2u said:
Unless you know the seller or know without a doubt that an autograph is authentic, don't bid! Especially on a Karen-signed copy of 1983's VOICE OF THE HEART! LOL!

Yeah Randy, I find that a bit amusing myself! :laugh:

These 'private auctions' on Ebay, when it comes to signed stuff, make me a little suspcious. The identity of the high bidder doesn't appear onscreen - it's known only to the seller.
That way somebody who spots a fake can't email that bidder and warn him. I like to look at 'seller's other items' and compare with what I have at home; plus read the feedback comments.
Haven't seen any complaints about fakes so far, and I wonder why. Maybe the buyers are assuming the seller's innocent and giving him the benefit of the doubt. Or they don't want to leave negative feedback when the seller basically delivered the goods.
There are a few ways to spot phony signatures.
The ones done by an autopen have lots of jagged lines and tend to be identical. They look like they're machine-made, which they are.
A secretarial signature looks too neat to be true. That's because the person doing the job has had lots of practice. Most authentic signatures are a little messy, as many are literally made 'on the run.' No two are exactly alike but there will be enough similarities to establish a pattern
There should be light and dark places within.
A friend who's a big fan of The Who alerted me to a fake Keith Moon signature. How did he know?
It was on an LP cover of the 1982 album IT'S HARD. Moon had died four years earlier.
JB

I stood beside Karen and Richard as they autographed two items for me. I have several other autographed items from the duo and they are consistently penned in the same manner. The '73 image presented here is consistent with same.

Seems like irresponsible parenting to encourage child forgery.

Imagine the bidding on Karen's VOTH signature? My hat's off to anybody who can put that over!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom