• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT

What is your favorite track?

• O Come, O Come Immanuel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overture

• Christmas Waltz

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Sleigh Ride

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well, Little Children

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (the short one)

• Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)

• Silent Night

• First Snowfall/Let It Snow

• Carol Of The Bells

• Merry Christmas Darling

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas

• Christ Is Born

• Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas

• Ave Maria

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thestitch said:
An update for Murray and Chris: the music was published in the "Reader's Digest Merry Christmas Songbook". I DID find it! Interestingly, someone has it up on E-Bay:

The arrangement is what I would call very "simplistic". The basic notes are there with lyrics and chord symbols. If you're better than me on the keyboard, you could "embellish" it. It's probably out of print by now (copyright, 1981).

I knew I had the music somewhere, altho' not the original sheet music version.
THANK YOU Marilyn for the information about the Reader's Digest book! I checked with our local public library, and they have a copy of it. It is currently signed out, but should be back in the library after the holidays. Hopefully those pages will still be intact (crosses fingers)!

Well, just echoing everyone else's opinions on this piece in that it's about as close to perfection as christmas music can come.

That said, the one that just makes it to the top for me is I'll Be Home For Christmas. Analysing why, I think the key reason is Karen's "You can count on MEEEEE." That last word transports me somewhere that philosophers would have a field day labelling.

Anyway, have great christmas everyone.

Neil

Does anyone check Billboard Hot Holiday Songs?

I hadn't been to Billboard site since I posted about Hot 100 chart's 50th anniversary. I checked chart positions of Barry Manilow's album and Elvis Presley's "Christmas Duets" which has duet with Olivia Newton-John 2 weeks ago. I just recalled they have Holiday Chart and checked it. "Merry Christmas Darling" was at #19 last week,

Issue Date: 2008-12-27

21  <- 19 Carpenters Merry Christmas Darling

Peak:1 Wks On:45

#1 in 1970,
#1 in 1971 and 1972, too?

Last weekend I heard ezRock again, the first song was "Merry Christmas Darling" and in about 20 minutes Olivia's "Christmas on My Radio" was played!

Sakura

Edit;
Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)" were also
Peak:1 Wks On:45.
Did the Holiday chart start around in the year that the original single of "Merry Christmas Darling" was released?

thestitch said:
For me, it's always been Sleep Well Little Children. This is not your usual Christmas song. For years after the album release, I tried so hard to find the music for piano. FINALLY, the book for the whole album was published a few years ago. There is something so very touching about this song. Perhaps, it's because Karen so loved kids and never had the opportunity to have some of her own. Every time I hear it, it touches my soul somehow.

Marilyn

I always loved this Victor Young medley, that was originally recorded on the Spike Jones album. (I have finally ordered the album and await its arrival)

The album I purchased some years ago has piano part for ITs Xmas Time, not for Sleep Well. I can play Sleep Well reasonably by ear for now. If there is a better book I had better find it!

Its Xmas Time is a fine piano performance of course, and likely to catch the ear of any pianist.

But like you Marilyn, I relate to this.

George

What about this quote from Richard?

Ave Maria was arranged from the start for chorus, as well as orchestra. With so much music, not to mention people, around the studio while the album was being made, the choral parts were misplaced, only to be discovered after the album was “in the can”. The multi-track was retrieved, and the chorus recorded, in 1984, during the “An Old Fashioned Christmas” sessions. The song was later remixed (and an editing error in the lead vocal fixed) in 1990.

What does Richard mean by this? I have never had the chance to compare the original West German Ave Maria with the remix, so I'm not sure what 'error' he's referring to?

Billboard Hot Holiday Songs
Issue Date: 2009-01-10

17 <- 19 Carpenters Merry Christmas Darling
Peak:1 Wks On:47

newvillefan said:
What about this quote from Richard?

Ave Maria was arranged from the start for chorus, as well as orchestra. With so much music, not to mention people, around the studio while the album was being made, the choral parts were misplaced, only to be discovered after the album was “in the can”. The multi-track was retrieved, and the chorus recorded, in 1984, during the “An Old Fashioned Christmas” sessions. The song was later remixed (and an editing error in the lead vocal fixed) in 1990.

What does Richard mean by this? I have never had the chance to compare the original West German Ave Maria with the remix, so I'm not sure what 'error' he's referring to?
Another deja vu?

I posted Richard's Christmas liner notes with interview with Karen when it was released to another group. I sent some from liner notes to some of A&M Forum members. Chris was interested in the same thing as Stephen. I don't think Chris got the answer in the thread. Later Stephen asked about Ave Maria. I think I read the answer in Akira Tsukahara's article in 2003. Harry answered at that time. Chris listened the albums.
Speed was the answer in the thread, I think. I cannot recall error in the lead vocal fixed.

Sakura

I bought the Spike Jones album several years ago. I love the liner notes written by Richard and I love to let Carpenters fans to hear the medleys.

Sakura

I had to vote for Merry Christmas, Darling, because it's the ultimate Carpenters Christmas song. However, I did not here it once on the radio during this holiday season. I heard a lot of Sleigh Ride though.

My second favorite would have to be Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas! I just love Karen's vocals at the end.

You know, I have got to say that as incredible as the album is, front to back, my favorite track from the time I was a kid is "The First Snowfall", as I love the key change/modulation hook, after the rhythm section kicks in at the lyric "Folks put runners on their surreys, and forget about their worries...". That part always created the greatest reaction in me...great production!

Chris May said:
You know, I have got to say that as incredible as the album is, front to back, my favorite track from the time I was a kid is "The First Snowfall", as I love the key change/modulation hook, after the rhythm section kicks in at the lyric "Folks put runners on their surreys, and forget about their worries...". That part always created the greatest reaction in me...great production!

Me too Chris. This is superb musical imagery. It makes me think of those Xmas Cards with people in traditional dress out in the snow carolling or whatever!

George

The "runners on their surreys" line is a slice of overdubbed heaven. That's long been my favorite part of the entire Christmas album!!!

"The First Snowfall" Is a song that is worth a closer listen than I have previously given. The opening part is Karen on melody against wonderful a wonderful vocal arrangement.

Then the jazzy arrangement takes over most convincingly.

As I have said, the line "Folks put runners on their surreys, and forget about their worries..." is very strong but what about the punch line:

"When a man becomes a boy once again".

I think you DO find some of the best performances of Karen in this Xmas music. For this song full credit to Peter Knight (did he arrange everything in th song?) and Tom Bahler Chorale.

Well, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Spike Jones version, but I think Knight's version for Karen is much more polished. This is probably due more in part to the production techniques in 1978 vs. the 1950s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom