Carpenters "Collected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a copy from a well know Swiss dealer on Amazon Union Jack as it's the original mixes I like (there was some reason why I joined here :laugh:) figuring I can always get the original albums cheaply on vinyl as I do vinyl and enjoy spinning it.

You should enjoy it - it's all original mixes, and in pretty close to chronological order.

Harry

I so understand Song4uman! My partner asks me why I have so many copies of the same Carpenters CD's or have to get the new "Collected" or "Collection" from this country try or that.
"This version adds a guitar part right before the chorus" or "this version had a piano riff instead of the guitar riff which was added for the single mix and subsequent album pressings."

He just gives me a blank look.

I'm enjoying my copy of Collected which came via Nagiry for GBP 10.86 plus shipping that came in todays mail. It's really two and a bit cds but for 34 original mixes all gathered in one spot plus a few solo bits you can't fault it. It's striking just how different without the reverb Karen's vocals come over.

It is a huge difference without reverb, IMO that's how it should be. The intonation of her voice and the nuances that all went together to create the 'sound' that can send you off into that special Carpenters induced place, is there, however with the reverb, it just isn't quite the same.......

It is a huge difference without reverb, IMO that's how it should be. The intonation of her voice and the nuances that all went together to create the 'sound' that can send you off into that special Carpenters induced place, is there, however with the reverb, it just isn't quite the same.......

This is interesting, because I think with the reverb, Karen's voice sounds much more majestic in some cases. Cases in point would be 'We've Only Just Begun' and 'Yesterday Once More'. I think it's also probably the case that with the remixes, the vocal is mixed louder anyway and the piano, bass and drums have been re-recorded. I prefer the remixes of the hits. Many of the early hits in their original mix sound great, but very dry and sometimes too quiet.

Hi Stephen,

It boils down to personal taste doesn't it, I wouldn't say either of us is right or wrong, it's just what appeals to each individual the most. I remember when I got the 'only yesterday' compilation being quite excited about the remixes at first, but as the years have gone on, I've changed my mind. For me personally with the remixes, it's isn't just the reverb that I'm not keen on, it's the stereo piano and artificial drum beats too.
Take 'It's going to take some time' for example, the original has a 'mysterious' quietish piano intro, that sets the mood and allows your aural imagination to get to work, whereas the remix , IMO, is too 'full on' and completely changes the entire feel of the song. It doesn't allow it to create an atmosphere and build up slowly...... It's like you are chucked in at the deep end straight away!!!
BUT, as i say, this is just how i feel personally and of course everyone has their own personal preferences..........
Regards
Bob
P.s. As Karen was associate producer usually, I wonder if she would have approved of all the remixes and how different her voice can sound........ I get the feeling she had stong opinions and made sure her views were known, but then again she seemed to look up to Richard so much and trust his decisions, but we will never know......

For me personally with the remixes, it's isn't just the reverb that I'm not keen on, it's the stereo piano and artificial drum beats too.

Now on this I definitely agree with you! Probably the worst offender is the remix of 'Top Of The World', where the artificial bass drum isn't perfectly in time with the rest of the track, it's a fraction of a second behind and it drives me crazy! God knows what Karen would have thought. If I recall correctly, Richard did it himself on synthesizer.

Hi Newville,
Yes, i agree totally, i detest the TOTW remix, that drum beat just sounds amateurish, it's awful! The track when remixed in '73 for single release was great! It just didn't need anything doing to it, but those drums just sound like a gallopping horse, that is, as you say, just out of step a bit!!
I wonder if Richard changed his mind about it, because on the UK ultimate collection, he used the 2004 remix version (based on the '73 version) that was done for the SACD release, so perhaps even he realises it's not the best!

Last edited:
Hi Newville,
Yes, i agree totally, i detest the TOTW remix, that drum beat just sounds amateurish, it's awful! The track when remixed in '73 for single release was great! It just didn't need anything doing to it, but those drums just sound like a gallopping horse, that is, as you say, just out of step a bit!!
I wonder if Richard changed his mind about it, because on the UK ultimate collection, he used the 2004 remix version (based on the '73 version) that was done for the SACD release, so perhaps even he realises it's not the best!

Agree. The TOTW "drums" sound like Garage Band.
Jonathan

Loading the discs in to i-tunes, it comes up "Ultimate Collection". The packaging is very nice, although mine did come with some slight wrinkles on the spine.

Hmmm. If you listen to the samples on that COLLECTED page, most tracks that have remixes are playing remixes.

All of COLLECTED should be original album mixes. So now I have to question: Has the same thing happened to COLLECTED that happened to ULTIMATE COLLECTION? Or are these samples just generic sound samples drawn from various other releases? Inquiring minds want to know...

Harry

Ha, I bet they didn't even use the CD to upload the song samples. I never heard of that site. We will need folks who purchased Collected to chime in...I don't have it.

I have collected from when it was first released and it is definitely original album mixes on my version.
Re that web site in question, i don't think they have used the relevant cd's to upload the clips. I went to the carpenters compact disc collection link, then listened to a couple of track previews - which should definitely be original album mixes - and they were remix clips.It seems as though collected set is still original album mixes.

Of course, this simply re-affirms that one should not 'believe' something/everything/anything just because it is on the internet !
Going back to original sources and relying on multiple informational sources to confirm/affirm one's knowledge.
Interesting enough, at least one source actually claims: ' Carpenters sales exceed 100 records' obviously forgetting to
include the 'Million' !

Just another reason I appreciate this forum--not only is there a shared core of knowledge, that knowledge is checked and
re-checked in an effort to keep things as accurate as possible!
Highly Commendable!

Hmmm. If you listen to the samples on that COLLECTED page, most tracks that have remixes are playing remixes.

All of COLLECTED should be original album mixes. So now I have to question: Has the same thing happened to COLLECTED that happened to ULTIMATE COLLECTION? Or are these samples just generic sound samples drawn from various other releases? Inquiring minds want to know...

Harry
I also have the set and it is legit. All original mixes. Sounds very nice and mastered well. I wonder if the sound is any different compared to the original Ultimate Collection set.

Does anyone know why the cover says 42 tracks when there are only 41? (17 + 17 + 7 = 41)

Is there a hidden track somewhere? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom