• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters connection in new HBO series "Vinyl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another not sure if this is actually taken from the film but it looks like it, here she looks a little like Karen from 78 during the Christmas specials. I have not seen the film.

screen-shot-2016-02-22-at-2-45-26-pm.png

I thought she looked more like Karen in the photo of the actress (not in character)!
It may be the hair. I've never seen depictions of Karen (including the Karen Carpenter Story which RC oversaw and even had Cynthia Gibb wear some of KC's actual clothes) where her hairdo looks anything like Karen's various (and multitude) different hairstyles (and sometimes you can literally tell what year it is in a photo by looking at Karen's hairstyle).

3548fc893109a055fce9979f19f61720.jpg

Here's a better photo of Natalie Prass - this is not a still from the HBO series, but just a random shot. I'm impressed they not only found someone with a good resemblance to KC, but that Natalie is a great singer songwriter
on her own. (She also recently tweeted a comment about playing KC - "I'm only a small piece of the show, but they were huge shoes to fill. Karen Carpenter is my hero. Always has been.")

Vinyl' Recap: Funny Business
Bold shots and big laughs tear the roof off a strong episode

By Sean T. Collins March 6, 2016
Read more: 'Vinyl' Recap: Funny Business »

"A good song can transport you to another place, but is that place ever an empty room with a lone, blindingly back-lit performer?
When you really connect to a song, it draws you in, weaves its way into your brain, becomes a part of who you are.
It doesn't leave you in the audience while the singer does their stuff.
Maybe that's why the most effective of these sequences involved Karen Carpenter, of all people:
By the way, the show's respectful and admiring approach to the freaking Carpenters ought to leave people who complain
about its supposed "rockism" with a lot of explaining to do."

"Four episodes deep, Vinyl shows a promising willingness to lean into the crazed decadence of its setting and the screwball personalities of its characters.
keeping things fast and loose rather than leaden and pretentious.
If it keeps moving in this direction, it really could rock."

That happened in the scene where all the A&R people are going through their demos and Bobby Cannavale's character says (paraphrased) " out on the street we're not known as "American Century Records"... They're calling us "American Cemetery Records." The lines were delivered by Cannavale like a punch line in a sitcom.

Actually, that line seems to be based on reality. In the late 70's, MCA (Music Corporation of America) had gone so cold on the charts that industry wags nicknamed MCA "Music Cemetery of America."

...npr just played "Yesterday Once More", Aimee Mann version which is completely true to the original version. The DJ had exemplary comments regarding Karen Carpenter and it was a true pleasure to hear.

3548fc893109a055fce9979f19f61720.jpg

Here's a better photo of Natalie Prass - this is not a still from the HBO series, but just a random shot. I'm impressed they not only found someone with a good resemblance to KC, but that Natalie is a great singer songwriter
on her own. (She also recently tweeted a comment about playing KC - "I'm only a small piece of the show, but they were huge shoes to fill. Karen Carpenter is my hero. Always has been.")

Her face here looks alot like Karen circa '71. I watched the sequence featuring YOM and actually found it quite affecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom