• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Carpenters first single inspired by The Mamas and The Papas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must Hear This Album

It’s a documented fact that Carpenters were fans of The Mamas and The Papas. The stacked vocal harmonies have always been similar by my ear. Relatedly, I’ve often wondered if TMATP’s slowed-down and chilled version of the Beatles’ 1964 hit, “Twist And Shout,” was the inspiration for Carpenters slowed-down and chilled rendition of the Beatles’ 1965 hit, “Ticket To Ride.” Thoughts?

It’s a documented fact that Carpenters were fans of The Mamas and The Papas. The stacked vocal harmonies have always been similar by my ear. Relatedly, I’ve often wondered if TMATP’s slowed-down and chilled version of the Beatles’ 1964 hit, “Twist And Shout,” was the inspiration for Carpenters slowed-down and chilled rendition of the Beatles’ 1965 hit, “Ticket To Ride.” Thoughts?
I remember reading the story (I think John Bettis told it) that early on, before Carpenters, they had a gig and needed equipment, so they "borrowed" the Mamas/Papas equipment. The bass drum even said "The Mamas and the Papas" on it; then while they were playing in the club, who walks in but The Mamas and the Papas. :wink:

I remember reading the story (I think John Bettis told it) that early on, before Carpenters, they had a gig and needed equipment, so they "borrowed" the Mamas/Papas equipment. The bass drum even said "The Mamas and the Papas" on it; then while they were playing in the club, who walks in but The Mamas and the Papas. :wink:

Love that story! I've never heard it (to my recollection). Was it in the Coleman biography?

I love both groups and both had two amazing female singers. Strange that they died at the same age too...:cry:

The Mamas and the Papas definitely made some great harmony. I agree with your premise that the Carpenters were inspired (perhaps in part) to record "Ticket to Ride" as a slow ballad, similarly to the Mamas and the Papas' "Twist and Shout."

Sometimes with that treatment to a song, as in both cases, magic ensues... Another case in point: Neil Sedaka rerecorded "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" from an up tempo ditty to a power ballad. Sometimes... that's the Ticket!

The Mamas and the Papas definitely made some great harmony. I agree with your premise that the Carpenters were inspired (perhaps in part) to record "Ticket to Ride" as a slow ballad, similarly to the Mamas and the Papas' "Twist and Shout."

Sometimes with that treatment to a song, as in both cases, magic ensues... Another case in point: Neil Sedaka rerecorded "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" from an up tempo ditty to a power ballad. Sometimes... that's the Ticket!
Agreed. Another case in point: Alison Krauss' chilled-out take on The Foundations' durable pop hit, "Baby, Now That I've Found You." Her version is exquisite.

Great call on the Alison Krauss cover. I first heard it in the comedy "Heartbreakers", which, if you haven't seen it, has a great scene w/ Sigourney Weaver (trying to pass herself off as Russian) singing "Back In The U.S.S.R." w/ a full band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom