• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

CarpenterS forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

What's next for the catalog? Re-issues in different formats? Entire re-release? Vinyl? Obscurities? Songs mixed minus the OK Chorale with Karen up front and solo? I like Need To Be In Love better since the re-mix took out most of the Chorale. I don't know the next format on the horizon. I thought SACD was gonna catch on and then the shm-cd and now the talk of yet another. Richard seems to be a trailblazer where these things are concerned. What we don't need is another singles collection unless it has been subjected to something extraordinary.

Jeff

While it's unlikely...what I would like to see is ALL of the Catalog to be released in Vinyl,similar to what has just been announced for ABBA, complete with the original Artwork and sleeves as they were released back then. This time ONLY the original mixes intact,although minor touch ups,like the tape problems on ASFY being fixed (as was done on the remastered classics release) would be ok.

Aside from all of the studio albums from "Offering" through "Lovelines" reissued in vinyl, add to the list Karen's Solo album this time as a double album, with LP #1 being the original line-up, and LP #2 being ALL the outtakes, finished by Phil Ramone, (as he worked on the original album with Karen,It would be more appropriate.) Also, I would add to the set a Vinyl version of "As Time Goes By", Both of Richards solo albums, and both original singles albums.

For a bonus, Maybe a "Rarities" album that includes some of the stuff from the "From the Top" and "Essential" box sets,plus alternate takes of some of their hits, and stuff from their TV specials that hasn't been released.

AND...to make it a complete set...throw in both "Live At The Palladium" and "Live in Japan" LP's as well.
:)

THAT would be my dream set...and as expensive as something like that would probably be, I would find a way to afford it. After all, I only need ONE kidney. :badteeth:

How about Live in Vegas with the Karen/ Neil Sedaka duet. (Would be nice but will never happen...)

DJN JEFF-The forecast for the Carpenters catalog is not very sunny,sad to say.In a two-year span between 2005-2007,Universal deleted half of K&R's catalog.Several of the remaining in-print albums aren't selling particularly well,either.(I'm actually surprised that "Now And Then" has managed to stay in-print for 37 years!).The music industry is experiencing it's worst sales recession in music industry history.And,most of the major labels(including Universal) have downsized their catalog development dep't (which means less album reissues and compilations).

Richard's Christmas album will,in all likelihood,never be released.It was recorded almost ten years ago,and it appears that Richard hasn't been able to find a label that wants to release it.Obviously,all the labels know about Richard's two solo albums that bombed,and they don't want to get into a "three strikes,your out!" situation.

Personally,I would like to see "Voice Of The Heart", "A Kind Of Hush" and "Made In America" reissued.And,a straight reissue of "Christmas Portrait" with the original mixes(and the cover).

Also, a compilation of the Standards/torch songs should be assembled.(actually,this should've been done a long time ago).

But,I would say that the catalog as it stands is pretty much the way it's going to stay.There's nothing more to add,and what has been deleted probably won't be reissued.

mr J. said:
Richard's Christmas album will,in all likelihood,never be released.It was recorded almost ten years ago,and it appears that Richard hasn't been able to find a label that wants to release it.Obviously,all the labels know about Richard's two solo albums that bombed,and they don't want to get into a "three strikes,your out!" situation.

Totally agreed. No way this thing will come out. A&M was very charitable with "Time" and "Composer...". He simply cannot sell records without Karen. The first two stiffed badly with the first one being one of the worst stiffs in A&M's history. Why waste the money on a third? The only way we'd see it is if he self-released.

Personally,I would like to see "Voice Of The Heart", "A Kind Of Hush" and "Made In America" reissued.And,a straight reissue of "Christmas Portrait" with the original mixes (and the cover).

Also, a compilation of the Standards/torch songs should be assembled.(actually,this should've been done a long time ago).

To be honest, I think all three have been out long enough. They were released twice and that's enough. None of those three are good enough to remain in print any longer than they have already. The many compilations cover them nicely.

Oh, and speaking of compilations, no more, please. There's no artistic reason to keep repackaging over and over again. How many more of them does the world need, really?

Ed

The music industry's still geared more & more towards compilations...

I don't think the nature of the current music market will really change, the more it naively thinks "everyone is just DISCOVERING (Name Artist or Group) ________" and Carpenters are no exception... There are always going to be "new introductions to _____" & that's what the industry can relentlessly afford to capitalize on knowing "new listeners" after obtaining these "samplers" just might move on to other things... The industry can't afford to take any other chance...

If Richard were creative enough & the public (& maybe himself) could put aside how much Karen "was the Carpenters", & have a good vocalist collaborator (maybe plural) to boot, perhaps we'd see a viable product in the vein of Herb & Lani's "comeback" just to name one significant example...

It's just the way that this outfit is mainly noted for its past efforts, & the majority amounting to the "same, recycled eight to ten songs", much like "one particular artist" that I follow"... Who, too, needs to give what little albums of HIS which have so-far been reissued "long-overdue companionship" w/ MORE original works that have STILL not seen the light of day...!

So "compilations" of past projects, mainly being "greatest hits"--that really reached r almost made "#1 on The Charts!"--are basically all that will hit the shelves, for years to come, as long as the "CD" is still the basic-recorded medium... (Though w/ musical downloads, listeners are in the "habit" of getting their music "somewhere else" on some other type of "latest format"...!)

& like the commercials selling these late-night advertised Multi-Artists K-Tel -type compilations: "You can spend HUNDREDS to get these songs, individually or you can get them ALL here!", at least for HUNDREDS, you get more of "one artist's or one group's songs!"...

Dave

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Totally agreed. No way this thing will come out. A&M was very charitable with "Time" and "Composer...". He simply cannot sell records without Karen. The first two stiffed badly with the first one being one of the worst stiffs in A&M's history.

Did Pianist... sell MORE than Time?

I guess many of you aren't aware of this, but the entire Carpenters' catalog is still very much in print, technically speaking. The entire U.S. Carpenters' catalog is available on iTunes -- every studio album has been made available by Universal Music. Even THE SINGLES: 1969-1973 is available for download. INTERPRETATIONS, GOLD, 40/40, FROM THE TOP, THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER, 20TH CENTURY MASTERS, even A&M CLASSICS VOL. 2.

I know many people don't like digital downloads, but this is the reality of the new millennium. All the material is very much available for purchase; nothing is deleted.

Just because they've stopped making CDs doesn't mean that they've stopped selling the albums...

David

David, I'm glad you posted this because if you were to believe some that post here, then it would be gloom and doom. Some post here that the music has all but dried up and CD's are out of print and no longer available.

The music is still out there and most of the young people today all download music instead of buying CD's. Even the automobile industry is pushing USB/mp3/ipod connections in cars instead of CD changers. Digital downloading is here whether we like it or not. Carpenters music is still available anywhere you look online.

I've checked Amazon and CD Universe and it seems US issued copies of most CD's are still available... "Voice Of The Heart", "A Kind Of Hush" and "Made In America." Maybe there was a period of time when these were out-of-print, but that doesn't seem to currently be the case. CD Universe has many of the Carpenters' releases listed among the Top 100 sellers.

I certainly agree with what was posted above. Just because a CD of an album isn't available doesn't mean it's out-of-print. There are several releases by other artists that I had to download because a CD was never released.

...and don't forget that they were all recently re-released in Japan in the mini LP form-----BEAUTIFULLY, if I may say so.

CarpentersToYou said:
...and don't forget that they were all recently re-released in Japan in the mini LP form-----BEAUTIFULLY, if I may say so.

I got the 35th anniversary box with all of 'em together. GREAT looking box.

Ed

Dave is absolutely right. Music CD's in general are on the way out. It's a digital world now and many artists are releasing their new albums thru iTunes and Amazon and other digital outlets only. You can still download the album artwork and notes, but going to the record store or ordering your cd's online is really going to be phased out. This will affect the record companies...some will survive and others may not as artists released music direct to the masses from their own websites.
That is exactly what Richard should do if he wants his Christmas album out. Go thru iTunes or whoever and promo it through his website.
Just a sign of the times.

It makes me wonder what Karen would have thought about how the industry has changed so much...she and Richard grew up with Lp's being the hit, now look how things have changed. I also wonder what Richard thinks now of digital downloads being the format of today. I bet his children have iPods and download music just like kids today.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
It makes me wonder what Karen would have thought about how the industry has changed so much...she and Richard grew up with Lp's being the hit, now look how things have changed. I also wonder what Richard thinks now of digital downloads being the format of today. I bet his children have iPods and download music just like kids today.

I think Karen would have been amazed and fascinated with the technology.
I can imagine her response would be similar to that of my Mom (who is Richard's age) when I bought her her first Ipod two years ago. "You mean I can store a 1000 songs on THIS tiny thing?" She was kind of incredulous at first, now she's always using it! :)

I like digital downloads personally, and I have ported my entire 200 LP,300 CD and 200 cassette music collection into digital files I have stored on my computer and Backed up on a couple portable hard drives and on my Ipod(s). A majority of any new music I buy tends to be downloads lately. It's convenient, space saving,and the sound quality is very good. I rarely pull out my vinyl or plastic anymore due to the fact I don't have to organize it or put it away after I listen. I just point, click,and I'm listening to it.

However, there is something to be said for having an actual hard copy of something in your hands or on your shelf that actually exists and can't be eliminated with a delete button. While downloads have now dominated the industry,LP's,CD's or some sort of equivalent, will always be around. Case in point,the college town where I work. A music store specializing in Vinyl just opened up in the downtown area a couple months back and is doing quite well. I have become a regular customer, and I was amused to find out that I'm one of the OLDER customers he has. Most of the people that come in are between 15-24!

My generation and younger are rediscovering the experience of buying an ALBUM. Sure,It's cool to be able to go to ITUNES or Amazon to download the latest single, but there is something about those big 12"X 12" covers,the artwork,and the warmth of the sound of a good,clean, scratch free Vinyl LP or 45 single that can't be delivered through downloads or even CD's.

While it won't ever dominate the industry again,CD's and particularly Vinyl will never truly go completely away.

Oh,BTW...one of his best selling Vinyl artists? The Carpenters! :D

Just because a CD of an album isn't available doesn't mean it's out-of-print.
That's backwards. It should be, just because a CD is out of print, doesn't mean it's not available! :)

You can buy stuff that's been out of print for years on the sites mentioned above, and also eBay, Gemm and Amazon and countless others. These days, almost nothing is really "not available."

But I agree, the kidz today are really missing out on not only the buying/opening experience an album offers, but also the listening experience. It's way more fun to sit down with a new album, listen to it all the way thru while reading the lyrics or contemplating the artwork (taking a break at the end of Side 1 to call a friend and tell him how great the album is), than it is to download a couple of hit tracks and shuffle them into the iPod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom