Carpenters in New York Times this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article...I like the title...Get Use To It!! :laugh:
I can relate...growing up with Carpenters was not always a cool thing while most of my friends were into rock bands...funny cafeteria moment.

Did Burt Bacharach really say that? Who is it? I'm quiet surprised at that comment...I always thought the moment Karen sings you know it's her and with Burt being in the music business....

Yes, but bear in mind there's a lot of other singers (Rumer, for one) who cultivate a faux-Karen sound in different parts of their voice; if he hadn't heard the version in a long time (say 40 years or so) and only listened to a few bars, he could be forgiven for not realizing right away it was her.

I couldn't believe how much I related to this article. Aside from the fact I got into a few more fights, and that I never looked forward to report card day. :) The rest was SPOT ON to my childhood, and I'm just a year younger than Rob. That book will be great! I totally remember the period between 'The Singles' and 'Horizon'. It felt like a decade....

Incidentally, he's the same writer that wrote the fantastic article in 1996 when the solo album came out (New York Times yet again).

Funny, my story was almost the opposite of his (although I did enjoy reading it.) I was fortunate enough to have a couple of friends who really appreciated Karen's work. If I remember Rainy Days was pretty well liked. It's my poor wife who has had to put up with my love of Karen and endless purchasing of compilations. (We were married in 1982.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom